General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
YouTube
Posted by: pjpw2320
Date: March 09, 2016 11:55PM

I am running K-Meleon 75.0 and it will not load the YouTube website at all. My User Agent is set to Firefox compatible. I get the following message when I try to load the YouTube website.

I am sure there must be a solution or workaround for this. Any help greatly appreciated.

<<<<<Oops, your web browser is no longer supported.

YouTube works with a wide range of browsers. However, if you'd like to use many of our latest and greatest features, please upgrade to a modern, fully supported browser.

Find the latest versions of our supported browsers below.

This message is based on the the user agent string reported by your browser. Any extensions and plugins you have installed might modify the user agent string. We received:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.0,gzip(gfe)>>>>>

Peter Wills

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: YouTube
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 10, 2016 12:21AM

Apart from, when not using the compatible mode, it displays the resource hungry HTML5 player, all is fine here with 75.0 browsing inside youtube.com pages.

Tested in a fresh profile as well.

Any URL, if not all, and without any privacy concern to test with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 12:21AM by JohnHell.

Date: March 10, 2016 01:59AM

JohnHell
Apart from, when not using the compatible mode, it displays the resource hungry HTML5 player, all is fine here with 75.0 browsing inside youtube.com pages.

Tested in a fresh profile as well.

Any URL, if not all, and without any privacy concern to test with?

Thanks John.

I guess I should also have mentioned that I had Java, image animation, Flash and Ads blocked.

As soon as I enabled Java the site loaded ok while still supressing Flash and Ads. I will now test from here.

Peter Wills

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 10, 2016 05:08AM

Java or Javascript?

Video sites never required Java from me - it's always off. But most wrapped players (flash or html5) won't run with JS off.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 10, 2016 05:25AM

Still can see YT-flash with KM1.6 and this UA on win98se :cool:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101130 Firefox/3.5.16

Yes, JS+Objects must be allowed.
Alternative: the maxscreen standalone-mode seems to work even more reliably, URLs like this:
https://www.youtube.com/v/xyz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 05:26AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 10, 2016 07:38AM

rodocop
Java or Javascript?

Video sites never required Java from me - it's always off. But most wrapped players (flash or html5) won't run with JS off.

Yes. JavaScript for flash. All browsers and Flash plugin know and need that.
Did not know that alternative player need it. Guess it is needed to sniff capabilities of the browser.

Java originally by Sun is another technology. Use of Java becomes rare.

Date: March 10, 2016 04:25PM

rodocop
Java or Javascript?

Java! With Java on I can load youtube.com. As soon as I click the Java button in the Privacy bar to turn it off the page reloads and displays the message in my original post.

I still have Flash and Ads turned off as well and the site loads and displays fine and flash videos play fine once I click on the flash placeholder.

I never have Javascript turned off unless I am on a page that is constantly refreshing and I want to prevent that from happening.

I guess the main thing is that I can now use youtube.com but the Java issue thing seems to be causing some confusion. I can attest categorically that it was Java that was my issue and that I know the difference between Java and Javascript.

I am also unaware of any other settings that may be affecting my particular scenario.

Peter Wills

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 04:56PM by pjpw2320.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 10, 2016 09:05PM

Ok. Yours is a new and unique problem then. I could not verify/repeat it with the Java button in privacy bar in the skin I am using (variant of phoenity large) so I assumed You had mixed JS and SunJava up.

It might be only with Your settings or the skin you are using.

You can try on browserspy.dk whether You can get any unusual readings when You use the button. Else I have no idea. No idea what can cause it either.

Date: March 10, 2016 09:30PM

I'm intrigued as well.

I would like to have a try on that skin too, if it is using the default macros, and, if not, the macro code attached to that icon/menu entry.

Weird enable Oracle Java to run YouTube

Date: March 11, 2016 03:33AM

OK, here's something weird. I have just been experimenting some more and youtube.com will not load on the first attempt immediately after opening KM 75.0 regardless of the JAVA setting. Refreshing the page merely loads the "Oops, your web browser is no longer supported." page again but if I click on the youtube.com home page link on that page it loads fine. This is also the case if I re-type youtube.com in the URL address bar.

I also verified this behavior with a completely fresh profile with all default settings intact.

I seem to recall reading somewhere about having to reload a page in some cases before it would display anything but I think that had something to do with an initial empty page being displayed before reloading. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I am unsure if this is a bug or not but it is a minor annoyance in any case. I guess I should have been a bit more thorough in my testing before I made my original post, so apologies for that.

Peter Wills

Date: March 11, 2016 03:54AM

Update.

I just downloaded KM76b3 and opened it with default settings and immediately entered youtube.com in the address bar and voila, it opened first try. Still none the wiser as to what's up with my KM75.0 but It's no biggie. I could have a minor corruption in my KM75 although I did still generate the issue with a fresh profile so I guess I am stumped.

But at the end of the day KM is by far the best browser I have used in terms of speed and resource usage. I have been using it since the early pre 1.x versions and keep coming back to it after FF, Chrome and to a lesser extent Opera start to eat up memory and CPU cycles.

Peter Wills

Posted by: siria
Date: March 11, 2016 08:34AM

Interesting... And glad it works fine in newest KM out-of-box smiling smiley

pjpw2320
I seem to recall reading somewhere about having to reload a page in some cases before it would display anything but I think that had something to do with an initial empty page being displayed before reloading.

Sounds like that setting for session restore or startup session, whether tabs shall be loaded immediately or wait until activation or such.

Date: March 11, 2016 09:19PM

pjpw2320
Does this ring a bell with anyone?

No, not much.

The only thing I can think about right not is, or a transparent ISP proxy, or cache settings in K-meleon.

But, still, strange, and only happening with one site.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.