General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to join saved passwords, bookmarks etc from several instances?
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: April 26, 2016 12:24PM

How to join saved passwords, bookmarks, favourites, etc. from different instances (also of different revisions, 74/75/75.1, portable and "installed") into one? It should then have all the passwords etc. of all instances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to join saved passwords, bookmarks etc from several instances?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 26, 2016 01:37PM

Voltaire
How to join saved passwords, bookmarks, favorites, etc. from different instances (also of different revisions, 74/75/75.1, portable and "installed") into one? It should then have all the passwords etc. of all instances.

Not an easy task, and getting harder to do if one includes favorites from the 'Edge' browser in Win 10. Lets try the easy case first.

IE Favorites from the same computer should be the same in every KM instance. On my system my favorites are located here:
C:\Users\username\Favorites
Obviously the 'username' is not actually username but is your username.

If the favorites are from different computers, one must edit each version and make changes such that everything the user wants to include is in the version(s) the user prefers to use. Note that when I installed Win 10, I had copied my favorites in Win 7 to a usb drive and I copied them into my Win 10. Doing it this way, I saw no change in my favorites when I ran KM for the first time in Win 10.

A new option, problem, or opportunity has been discovered when users use the new 'Edge' browser in Win 10.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,136001,138365#msg-138365
It is too early for any answers to that yet.

I don't use Netscape bookmarks, so someone else must address that question.

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: April 26, 2016 02:59PM

Manual work is absolutely not the problem. MSIE makes it so easy that you just can collect all of them to a joined new directory and put them all into the favourites folder. Of course you have to manually sort out the double entries etc.; but that's not the problem.

Btw.: sessions also have to be joined from the different instances (again: if some of them have the same name, it's obvious to have to rename those).

And in that context is another question: how to extract cache content in "clear text" (as is, in a way as MSIE does it where you can just copy everything out of temorary internet files) ...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 26, 2016 09:26PM

First I must tell you that I never re-use history, cache, or sessions. That is just a personal preference of mine.

For sessions type work, I use groups. Groups has import with options to replace or merge. If you wish to try groups then go here: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/ and look for groups2.7z

For permissions, I export them from KM to a 7z file. That file can then be extracted to a different profile. I don't have a way to merge permissions. If you wish my method for creating the 7z, just ask. Normally I would just post a link, but it looks like I have out run my limit on Dropbox.

For logons, I do the same as for permissions. The big change here is that for KM 76 I cannot import in the data from KM 74, 75, or 75.1 versions. The storage method has changed to a json file in 76. I had to use the Tools > Privacy > View data > View Passwords in KM 75.1, open KM 76 in another window, and go to each site in the 75.1 list and login there in KM 76. Again, if you wish my method, just ask.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.