General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Circumventing geo-blocking
Posted by: anontemp123
Date: May 10, 2016 02:13AM

Apologies if this topic is banned. Thus far I have been using public proxies, but it's always a cat and mouse game, and the public proxies are often overloaded. On Firefox I use some extensions that work well most of the time. Does anyone have suggestions for K-Meleon? Maybe an extension or some other method?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Circumventing geo-blocking
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 10, 2016 05:00AM

Not blocked. Needed by some. E.g. by Germans to evade GEMA music blocking @ youtube. No idea whether Firefox extensions for this work for us.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 10, 2016 11:30AM

Yes, the topic is OK for discussion.

I have not tried one yet, but some advertisements seem to suggest that a VPN can get around geo-blocking. However, some sites will not let one use a VPN even if the user simply wishes the security provided by a VPN.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 10, 2016 06:20PM

Traditionally I recommend third-parties like Ultrasurf or Psiphon

They can be integrated into KM with macros like Privoxy

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: May 10, 2016 06:35PM

is there any german proxy or vpn? I want to watch arte+7 that is only allowed in germany and france ...

Date: May 11, 2016 04:54AM

UltraSurf, etc will work if you are residing in a country with restrictive Internet access, but I haven't found a way to use these sorts of proxies with geo-blocked websites. At least last time I checked, I couldn't figure a way to guarantee, e.g., a UK proxy on the other end so I could access a UK-only news site.

Posted by: foliator
Date: May 11, 2016 04:21PM

In Canada, Netflix is now blocking cross-border access to its U.S. content, and anyone logging in using a VPN or proxy is finding his account blocked.

I don't use a proxy server now, but several years ago I did, and tried to register with Wikipedia in order to edit an article I was reading. This brought up a message that Wikipedia would not accept submissions via proxy servers.

---
Gerry

Posted by: siria
Date: May 11, 2016 09:21PM

anontemp123
On Firefox I use some extensions that work well most of the time. Does anyone have suggestions for K-Meleon? Maybe an extension or some other method?

Perhaps best bet to try to get those FF addons running in KM. Since that stuff works in the background, chances are perhaps quite good? Perhaps other can help testing (not me, stuck with 1.6) when you give more details about those addons and a test page...

Date: May 11, 2016 10:11PM

siria
Perhaps other can help testing ... when you give more details about those addons and a test page...

I actually don't trust those extensions. So the one or two times a month I need to circumvent geo-blocking, I load up JustBrowsing from a USB flash drive and search for the extensions. I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I'll report back next time I load up JustBrowsing.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.