General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Where t.f. are all my sessions?
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: May 10, 2016 06:32PM

PC had a BSOD while running KM (installed version 75.1 on XP, not portable) ... had about 12 to 15 sessions with 50 to 150 entries each ... now starting again KM everything seems to be gone ... no previous session at all, no saved session at all ... where are all my sessions?????

Btw: manual file search for sessions.json gave the result of
- sessions.json (size 2kb),
- sessions.json.bak (size 2kb),
each in C:\Documents & Settings\Username\AppData\K-Meleon\c54oe23i.default

... and another sessions.json that is 1080 kb in size, but that's from a portable version in another directory; that one does not count ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 09:30AM by Voltaire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where t.f. are all my sessions?
Posted by: siria
Date: May 10, 2016 06:42PM

Do a regular backup of the profile folder... :cool:
Anyway, NOW before doing anything else, especially before closing KM again, open this folder (Edit>Config>Profile Directory) and make a copy of it.

With some luck there is still an automatic backup of sessions file in it...
Perhaps you also have a new profile now, in that case look one level higher, if there are parallel profile folders in it.
With very bad luck it's that old update bug, but guess that was fixed meanwhile, and BOSD is not an Update, so can't be the reason now...

Ah yes, and think there is (was?) some bug with asiatic characters in session page titles or URLs, killing the file... in that case it should at least be readable with an editor... but only if not yet overwritten now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 06:46PM by siria.

Date: May 10, 2016 06:45PM

Pls read added info above ...

btw: when opening first time after BSOD, there was no question whether to open the last or crashed session, but KM just did open into duckduckgo ...

Posted by: gigi
Date: June 30, 2016 11:47AM

I also use WIN Xp. Minimal Config. Most of the plugins are disabled and I use sessions instead of benchmarks. But..

Sometimes things go weird.

The worst thing that can happen after crashes, sudden power went down events, etc, is regarding sessions. Always regarding sessions.

My session list went big. Dunno if there is a limit to it but I think my latest session didnt save. But that isn't the problem!

The problem is that sometimes the browser asks for session restoration and sometimes it doesn't. I clicked no, since I didn't care about the last sessions since all of them were for testing purposes but this is what happens: I go to
menu -> sessions -> load session and there are no sessions except the "previous". There are infos about my sessions in pref.js clearly but I can't access them from the menu. I can say that this is the most frequent problem. I like the browser a lot and I use it since.. 2007. The only problem (and the worst) with it I ever had is that sometimes saved sessions aren't, suddenly, in the menu.

I hope people don't mind, I didn't want to make yet another topic.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 30, 2016 03:06PM

There is an addon by adodupan to backup the profile data automatically.

Try install it and use.

Date: June 30, 2016 07:22PM

gigi
There are infos about my sessions in pref.js clearly but I can't access them from the menu.

Makes me wonder, because newer KM-versions have a different session storage (own session files in profile folder) as old KM versions (in prefs.js) Perhaps those are just old inherited sessions there, and the newer ones in the profile folder are separate? Am not sure, but guess for the new ones there was even an automatic bak-file creation.

Date: August 24, 2016 09:57AM

The conclusion now is to use the very primitive way ...

Each time the number of open tabs get too numerous (and over 50 open tabs ist just normal) I just close K-Meleon and copy the entire sessions.json file to another directory and put a date into the file name. This directory now is filled with quite a big number of session.json_DDMMYYYY-HHMM_topic... files. I then start again with an empty session file. As soon as I need an old session, I move it back to the KM-folder ... as I do for NetCaptor with last.dat-files ...

... primitive, but practicable ...

But what I also would like is one single page/tab with all the tabs of the (former) session as dirctly clickable url-list ...

Btw.: the big sessions.json from thread-opening is definitely lost ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 09:59AM by Voltaire.

Date: August 24, 2016 08:01PM

Sigh, can't stand it any longer. Have wasted such an incredible amount of time on my tablistia macro last winter and finally had to interrupt and now may never get it fully finished, ARGH :-( But am going to finally post this alpha-version now anyway, it's probably just what you need.
It's not rock stable yet, a function or two have bugs and the UI needs more improvement, but works best in KM75.1 so far. And the main function does work great already for my own daily use in KM1.6, have come to really love it! Am now just going to throw out a ton of code notes and then post it in that chaotic alpha state - check back in bit...

Date: August 25, 2016 12:36AM

Okay, if you like try macro "Tablistia":
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,139627

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.