General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
URL-bar autocompletion from bookmarks
Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: May 20, 2016 11:42AM

Hey!

I didn't find any switch to enable bookmarks getting autocompleted on the URL-bar, only history. Since I have disabled history (the "delete automatically" option in tools->privacy->clear all section does not open anything), the URL-bar does not autocomplete anything.
So, is there a hidden switch somewhere? I really think there should be, since bookmarks should be a priority when typing on URL-bar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: URL-bar autocompletion from bookmarks
Posted by: siria
Date: May 20, 2016 06:12PM

No idea, that's complicated dev stuff, so wouldn't hold my breath. Tried one of those hidden FF prefs, but didn't work in KM. Yes it would be a nice function.

Just wanna mention a rather unknown function in KM, which should be added to that help-button some day: In the Edit Mode find-as-you-type works. That means call Bookmarks>Edit and type away. But it creates no list, it's only possible to jump from one hit to the next by hitting F3.
Of course far less convenient than just typing in urlbar and getting a list, but sure better than nothing.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 20, 2016 06:42PM

There exists this preference, BUT K-meleon doesn't store bookmarks in places.sqlite, therefore, it can't find bookmarks when typing in the URL bar. K-meleon stores Netscape Bookmarks as always was till a few of versions of Firefox, this is, using bookmarks.html file in profile folder.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.urlbar.default.behavior

In your case, the value would be 16+2=18

EDIT2: I may be wrong, but I think that is the reason it doesn't find bookmarks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2016 06:45PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 20, 2016 08:39PM

Yes, KM uses an old bookmark system and also uses 'nicknames' to load bookmarks quickly, but you should give a nickname to every bookmark manually...

Date: May 20, 2016 09:32PM

"Fixed" the issue by clicking "remember user's browsing history", clicked open all the bookmarks and then unticked the same pref without clearing it. Now there are only bookmarks in history and autocompletion works.

Posted by: foliator
Date: May 21, 2016 03:24AM

JohnHell
K-meleon doesn't store bookmarks in places.sqlite, therefore, it can't find bookmarks when typing in the URL bar. K-meleon stores Netscape Bookmarks as always was till a few of versions of Firefox, this is, using bookmarks.html file in profile folder.

I'm not sure how long ago Firefox changed that, because when I was using FF 15, bookmarks.html didn't exist unless it was created by exporting the bookmarks to an HTML file. Automatic bookmark backups, on the other hand, were .json files. I found out quite by accident that the bookmarks themselves were stored in places.sqlite, because one day all my bookmarks vanished, and when looking at my backed up profile, I noticed a big difference in the size of places.sqlite. When I restored that file from backup, all my bookmarks reappeared. Apparently places.sqlite had gotten corrupted somehow.

I'm glad that Dorian has continued with Netscape's old standard, which is much easier to maintain. BTW, there was a problem with Netscape's bookmarks when I used to run NS eons ago. If the browser was accidentally closed while the bookmarks window was still open, NS created a new, empty bookmarks.html file, and if it hadn't been backed up, all the bookmarks had to be re-created one at a time. :mad: At least KM issues a warning if the bookmarks editor is closed without confirming the changes.

---
Gerry

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 21, 2016 04:32PM

foliator
I'm glad that Dorian has continued with Netscape's old standard, which is much easier to maintain. BTW, there was a problem with Netscape's bookmarks when I used to run NS eons ago. If the browser was accidentally closed while the bookmarks window was still open, NS created a new, empty bookmarks.html file, and if it hadn't been backed up, all the bookmarks had to be re-created one at a time. :mad: At least KM issues a warning if the bookmarks editor is closed without confirming the changes.

Believe it or not, with the version I use, 75.0, it has happened to me in the last month a couple of times and not because something was left open.

What is to thank is that exists a bookmarks.html.bak created as well. So, usually, it isn't any drama if it happens.

Anyway, remember guys, make profile backups as often as you do with all your other data.

Posted by: foliator
Date: May 21, 2016 05:44PM

JohnHell
Believe it or not, with the version I use, 75.0, it has happened to me in the last month a couple of times and not because something was left open.

What is to thank is that exists a bookmarks.html.bak created as well. So, usually, it isn't any drama if it happens.

Anyway, remember guys, make profile backups as often as you do with all your other data.

Good advice! With me, making backups is almost an obsession, and that applies to configuration files in other apps, too. In the event that I have to do a system restore, Windows happily restores all the .ini files, even those in subfolders of My Documents. Often those files were deliberately modified by me, and Windows undoes all my hard work. If I hadn't backed them up before the restore, I'd have to go through those configurations all over again. Same holds true for desktop shortcuts, their positions, etc. In fact, a system restore will sometimes bring back older versions of executable files that had been intentionally updated!
:mad:

Firefox automatically creates a new bookmark backup file every day without overwriting the old backups, so they can accumulate pretty quickly, unless the user sets a limit for them in about_config.

---
Gerry

Date: June 02, 2016 01:15PM

Just some follow up thoughs of how to possibly implement this.

Would it be possible to just copy bookmarks to the history-list automatically? That way they would correctly show up on URL-bar and adding new bookmarks would also make it to the list, without user-effort. I have no idea how hard-coded the URL-bar and history functions are, but that sounds to me the "easiest" way to implement this without any messing with the URL-bar parts, as the method already exists while doing it manually.

Sorry if this comes as a bit demanding, but honestly this is one of the basic functions of a web-browser.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 02, 2016 09:27PM

In theory it's possible.

There was a 74 respin by naruman where full firefox Library (places+bookmarks) was implemented and accessible.

I was experimenting with that respin and even have succeeded in syncing bookmarks with Firefox Sync between 2 KM74 instances.

Sure there it was possible to import bookmarks.html into Library and get BMs searchable and 'omniboxable'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 09:28PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.