General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Print Preview
Posted by: anontemp123
Date: June 12, 2016 07:23PM

From reading forum posts, it seems like Print Preview went away in KM 74. Is that correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Print Preview
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 12, 2016 07:51PM

yes, there was some problem in making this work for new dev-branch.

74+1-build by naruman has that feature implemented, but unstable.

Posted by: cassie
Date: December 01, 2016 02:54PM

I know this is an old thread but really REALLY need print preview. I am having to use XXXXChromeXXXX to print and I hate XXXXChromeXXXX - could you guess that :-)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 01, 2016 06:32PM

The fix, right now, doesn't have an estimated time scheduler.

The following isn't the answer you want, but doesn't force you to waste paper, if that is your fear.

An option is to install a PDF printer driver such as PDF995, Adobe Distiller and other similar (you don't even need to pay and you could use the shareware versions for the purpose).

Alternatively you could use Firefox or Seamonkey, as well, instead Chrome. Why use Chrome, that has a different rendering engine, instead Firefox or Seamonkey, that share the heart engine, Gecko, with K-meleon?

P.S.: the thread isn't that old winking smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 02, 2016 12:28PM

I have Win 10 operating system and it comes with Microsoft Print to PDF and Microsoft XPS Document Writer. I am not sure what was in my Win 7, but I had something there also.

I hate to waste paper printing an online receipt so I use writing to a PDF quite a lot.

Date: December 02, 2016 04:05PM

Does anyone know if the KM versions 75.x or 76.x still have the ability to read a dll file in the plugins folder? If so, where should I have the plugins folder? It does not work in browser\plugins. What if I try root\plugins?

Date: December 02, 2016 04:49PM

JamesD
Does anyone know if the KM versions 75.x or 76.x still have the ability to read a dll file in the plugins folder? If so, where should I have the plugins folder? It does not work in browser\plugins. What if I try root\plugins?

It [75.0] does:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,140183,140193,page=1#msg-140184

Posted by: foliator
Date: December 02, 2016 04:53PM

JamesD
I have Win 10 operating system and it comes with Microsoft Print to PDF and Microsoft XPS Document Writer. I am not sure what was in my Win 7, but I had something there also.

I hate to waste paper printing an online receipt so I use writing to a PDF quite a lot.

All the freeware PDF print drivers I've tried create a PDF made up of just an image of each page of the document (like a scanner creates), so unfortunately the text in the document is not searchable, and none of the text can be copied to the clipboard, either. On the other hand, printing to XPS creates a searchable document, and the internal links are often clickable, too. I'm running Win 7, but can XPS files be opened on other OS's besides Windows?

As for DLLs in the plugins folder, I store mine in a subfolder of KM's application folder, i.e. "K-Meleon\plugins". Plugin DLLs seem to work fine there, at least the Sumatra PDF Reader plugin and a standalone version of Flash, and they worked for me in KM 74, 75, 75.1 and 76 RC, but I'm not sure if other DLLs would work or not.

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 04:56PM by foliator.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 02, 2016 08:16PM

Looks like Firefox often has print problems too, so there's a good chance it could be engine related. Perhaps do a web search for something like
firefox "print preview" bug

Posted by: foliator
Date: December 02, 2016 09:15PM

siria
Looks like Firefox often has print problems too, so there's a good chance it could be engine related. Perhaps do a web search for something like
firefox "print preview" bug

The only print problem I've encountered in KM is in Page Setup. I've tried to eliminate all the margins, but can only set the top and bottom margins to zero. If I do that with the left and right margins, KM stops responding once the print command is issued. I need to set them to no less than 0.10 (that's in inches, I believe). The last time I used Firefox, there were no print problems at all, and the print preview worked perfectly, but that was in FF 43.

---
Gerry

Date: December 02, 2016 09:43PM

Yes, no, no, yes, all and nothing, foliator.

In my case, that doesn't fail, but as I reported, around 74 version development/beta testing, there is a huge mix of preferences between those that are "print.[preference name]" and those "print.[printer name].[preference name]".

All have effect and none, but, mainly, the default are used, but Gecko (it is not related to K-meleon) creates a sub-secondary print settings for each printer.

Sometimes, printer settings override default settings, others don't. And, even, I'm not sure of it either. I have tested this several times and I still can't understand how it really works. But one thing is sure, default settings and printer settings must exists to cooperate in printing.

About units, yes, those in the print preferences window are in inches, but the paper preferences are in millimeters, as well as the bleed (additional margin on edges). So... imagine the headache. Why do they set like this? I don't have a clue at all . One of those mysteries of the Mozilla foundation developers.

If it is broken from the core, and therefore in Firefox, I don't know, I didn't suffer problems in Firefox (preview I mean), but one thing is almost clear, something is puzzled in the Gecko engine.

Date: December 02, 2016 10:00PM

Looks like the operating system might be preventing my work a round from finding Sumatra. I have a 64 bit system and so the SumatraPDF is loaded in Program Files (x86). The DLL is from an older version of Sumatra than the one I am using. Either it is looking in the Program Files folder or for the earlier version.

I have the "npPdfViewer.dll" file in both root\plugins and in root\browser\plugins. When I open the print file, name.oxps, the message I get is SumatraPDF hasn't been found.

Date: December 02, 2016 10:35PM

James,
np-plugins do work from both root/plugins and browser/plugins.

But with specific regard to Sumatra you need to place executable there too!

This works. You don't need Sumatra installed but portable exe should be in KM plugins folder...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 10:45PM by rodocop.

Date: December 04, 2016 02:41PM

rodocop
This works. You don't need Sumatra installed but portable exe should be in KM plugins folder...

Great! Thanks.

That works. I just never used the portable before. Now, if my wife does not need me for a little while, maybe I can get the macro put together.

Date: December 04, 2016 09:42PM

The code in my extension should pass for a work-a-round.

see http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,140309

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 06, 2016 06:19AM

rodocop
James,
np-plugins do work from both root/plugins and browser/plugins.

But with specific regard to Sumatra you need to place executable there too!

the portable Sumatra EXE file should be a 32bit version if placed in the KM Plugins folder. remember that the Sumatra PDF program comes in both 32bit and 64bit versions.

Date: December 06, 2016 12:32PM

Good point.
KM is 32bit itself so it's consistent way.

Date: December 06, 2016 06:55PM

rodocop

That is why I supplied a link to "SumatraPDF-3.1.1.zip". I did not think that SumatraPDF-3.1.1-64.zip would work.

Does the extension work for you? Alain has a problem under wine.

Date: December 06, 2016 08:45PM

I'll try soon.

Date: December 07, 2016 02:38AM

And finally...

it doesn't work in my Win 7. At least as it should to.

It calls for standard Print dialog so I should select some EXISTENT PDF printer driver but then it prints file through this driver and opens default PDF viewer for me (not Sumatra, not inside KM!!!).

'File not found' window still appears.

UPD. Also got 'Acrobat distiller' crash window after some 1-2 minute
(Yes I have one installed here)

UPD.2
The same with XPS which is the same MS driver not 3rd party like PDF.

Well, files ARE created. And they can be open manually in KM with Sumatra. But KM cannot call them for some reason saying 'file not found'

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 02:46AM by rodocop.

Date: December 07, 2016 02:47AM

But now I have one better idea for PDF-previewing!

Wait some time, please!

Date: December 07, 2016 01:12PM

rodocop
Well, files ARE created. And they can be open manually in KM with Sumatra. But KM cannot call them for some reason saying 'file not found'

Did you try to change the 2 second delay to a longer one. In order to exist, the file pdf or oxps must be written. There is sometimes a delay between the close of the print dialog and when the file is finished on the hard drive.

Date: December 08, 2016 12:41AM

Doesn't help. 5 or even 10 - the same picture...

Posted by: siria
Date: December 08, 2016 06:40AM

Have my vista machine buried too deep, can't test currently. Only in theorie some vague blind guessing based on older macros probs...
Perhaps cyrillic filename? Perhaps try without checking "fileexists" first? (currently the error is purely a macro-alert, not necessarily a real open-prob too) Perhaps KM wants a "file:///" path again and "/" instead of "\"? (Had to convert paths back and forth in other macros) Perhaps the hardcoded path to "/browser/" plugin is a prob, since someone wrote users can have their plugins either there or in root/plugins, but ALL plugins must be in the same folder? (if I remember that right) Perhaps one machine is set to open pdf outside KM and the other to open inside? ...
(ps: know "workaround" only without "-")

Date: December 08, 2016 11:22AM

no cyrillic.

I'm naming test files like 1111.xxx usually

Date: December 08, 2016 12:49PM

rodocop
I'm naming test files like 1111.xxx usually

The problem might be my instructions. Where I say to enter a filename for the output, I mean that the user should only enter the name but not the extension.

Try entering only the 1111.

Date: December 08, 2016 03:34PM

no any difference.

with or w/o extension, numeric or alphabetical only...

Date: December 08, 2016 04:05PM

rodocop

What is your operating system?
What is the KM version that you are using for testing?
Are you using "Microsoft print to PDF or another printer driver?

Please include in a post the exact name w/ extension that is created when you run my macro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 04:08PM by JamesD.

Date: December 09, 2016 02:41PM

Windows 7 x32
KM 75.1

I use Microsoft XPS Document Writer. There is no built-in PDF printer in Win 7, so I tried 3rd parties: AcroPDF, AdobePDF & TinyPDF

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.