General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Is This Possible?
Posted by: laffin_boy
Date: June 16, 2016 04:50AM

1st post:

I have been using Opera (the real one) since just after the Dawn of Time. (Actually since ver 3.64) I kept using it till last year, even though “progress” had mortally wounded it, because I was certain that using any other browser would be like riding in a Tinkertoy after owning a Ferrari. And, so far, that’s been my experience over the last year as i’ve tried several Point & Drool “browsers. Last week, in desperation, I downloaded KM 75.1 port and started playing with it. I was initially overjoyed to discover that the developer (s)? has been sufficiently impressed with Opera to integrate support for the Opera bookmark file and some keyboard commands. Was it really possible that I could find a browser with a modern rendering engine that I could configure to act sensibly and logically? Well i’ve spent a couple of nights now but the results are not up to my original hopes. Or even close.

Here’s what I had in Opera and what I hope to find in KM: A browser is nothing more than a program that will retrieve and display webpages from hyperlinks. In Opera I could open ANY KIND OF A LINK - in page hyperlink, bookmark, search of selected text, etc, etc - and I had the option, in the moment, to choose HOW to open that link for each case. To reuse the same tab I just clicked on the link. To open the link in a new active tab I use the SHIFT key modifier and to open the link in a new background tab I use the CTRL key modifier. In other words I had a consistent, logical & repeatable configuration.

So my question is: can KM be configured to act this way and, if so, how do I do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is This Possible?
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 16, 2016 05:44AM

laffin_boy
1st post:

I have been using Opera (the real one) since just after the Dawn of Time. (Actually since ver 3.64) I kept using it till last year, even though “progress” had mortally wounded it, because I was certain that using any other browser would be like riding in a Tinkertoy after owning a Ferrari. And, so far, that’s been my experience over the last year as i’ve tried several Point & Drool “browsers. Last week, in desperation, I downloaded KM 75.1 port and started playing with it. I was initially overjoyed to discover that the developer (s)? has been sufficiently impressed with Opera to integrate support for the Opera bookmark file and some keyboard commands. Was it really possible that I could find a browser with a modern rendering engine that I could configure to act sensibly and logically? Well i’ve spent a couple of nights now but the results are not up to my original hopes. Or even close.

Here’s what I had in Opera and what I hope to find in KM: A browser is nothing more than a program that will retrieve and display webpages from hyperlinks. In Opera I could open ANY KIND OF A LINK - in page hyperlink, bookmark, search of selected text, etc, etc - and I had the option, in the moment, to choose HOW to open that link for each case. To reuse the same tab I just clicked on the link. To open the link in a new active tab I use the SHIFT key modifier and to open the link in a new background tab I use the CTRL key modifier. In other words I had a consistent, logical & repeatable configuration.

So my question is: can KM be configured to act this way and, if so, how do I do it?

Hotlist plugin has not been updated since long. Few use it.
Maybe export Your Opera hotlist to HTML and use it with K-Meleon bookmarks plugin.

How links in tabs/windows e.g. from bookmarks/hotlist open can be generally configured from Preferences, Browsing, General the drop down menu there changes what action You configure.

The right click over a link opens a context menu. Right click often does that. :O

Keys can be redefined by user by editing Edit, Configuration, Accelerators -> accel.cfg.

Set Mouse Accelelators to Opera via Tools Mouse Accelerators.

With K-Meleon many things are open to user input/configuration.

No idea whether You can emulate Your Opera settings 1/1.
But I assume You can get close to it.

Posted by: laffin_boy
Date: June 16, 2016 06:16AM

@ guenter:
Thanks for your reply.

guenter
How links in tabs/windows e.g. from bookmarks/hotlist open can be generally configured from Preferences, Browsing, General the drop down menu there changes what action You configure.

As I think I explained I don't want to preconfigure and lock myself into a single option for opening a specific type of link. I want to have the flexibility - the freedom - to open any type of link by any of the 3 methods as the situation warrents. Deciding to always open typed addresses from the URL bar in the background is like deciding to always wear a red shirt on Tuesdays for the rest of your life when you're 9 yrs old.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 16, 2016 07:28AM

laffin_boy

guenter

As I think I explained I don't want to preconfigure and lock myself into a single option for opening a specific type of link. I want to have the flexibility - the freedom - to open any type of link by any of the 3 methods as the situation warrents. Deciding to always open typed addresses from the URL bar in the background is like deciding to always wear a red shirt on Tuesdays for the rest of your life when you're 9 yrs old.

Yes You did but...

You do not lock Yourself since right click context menue overrides that.

Offered by context menu: Open new or background window, Open in new or background tab.

Plus You can configure accels and mouse gestures.

p.s. I have pre-configured to what I normally do.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 16, 2016 08:52AM

KM is not as rigid as you think now, but neither as good as first thought.
"Any&All" is not possible, sorry. But if you use "bookmarks" instead of adr-hotlist you can define how to open bookmarks with left-middle-right mouse buttons, each button with its own user preference, but only for "bookmarks".

Links on web pages are also fully flexible, depending on used shortcut.
Did you see the FAQ-page?
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/FAQ

Posted by: foliator
Date: June 16, 2016 03:28PM

laffin_boy

Sure, most of that can be done in K-Meleon, it's just a matter of getting acquainted with it. There are bound to be differences between Opera and K-Meleon. In K-Meleon, Ctrl+Left_Click will open the link in a new foreground tab. Ctrl+Right_Click will open it in a new background tab. And as you would expect, just left-clicking the link will open it in the same tab.

This is perfectly consistent and repeatable in K-Meleon; whether it's logical, however, depends on one's point of view, as well as one's experience with other browsers. These were the same key combinations I used in Firefox, which is understandable, since K-Meleon is based largely on products from Mozilla, the developers of Firefox. I don't know much about Opera, but in Vivaldi, which purports to be a resurrection of the old Opera, Shift+Left_Click opened the link in a new foreground tab. Doing the same thing in K-Meleon will open it in a new browser window.

The only thing lacking in K-Meleon is the ability to use those key combinations randomly with bookmarks without having to predefine a specific behavior. That was possible in Firefox, but K-Meleon is not a clone of Firefox. KM's main focus is keeping the browser customizable, light and fast. I can tell by looking at my task manager that it consumes far less memory than the mainstream browsers. It is by far the fastest browser I've ever used, both for launching and for loading websites, and I've customized the hell out of it by now. grinning smiley

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 03:30PM by foliator.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.