General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
where are bookmarks stored?
Posted by: Slickone
Date: July 03, 2016 02:53PM

On my machine, they aren't in bookmarks.html or places.sqlite.
KM76b3 (I think)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where are bookmarks stored?
Posted by: guenter
Date: July 03, 2016 03:56PM

Slickone
On my machine, they aren't in bookmarks.html or places.sqlite.
KM76b3 (I think)

Go to menu item. Configuration -> Profile Directory -> bookmarks.html.

Provided that You have the plugin bookmarks.dll active the file should be there.

Where the location really is, depends on Your PC system and Your settings.

Else You can look up and alter its location in Preferences ->

But with some versions of K-Meleon and system this does not work - if You have other than default settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 04:01PM by guenter.

Date: July 03, 2016 04:08PM

Actually I know where the profile is, else I wouldn.'t have been able to check for bookmarks.html or places.sqlite. The files are there. bookmarks.html is dated 2007, is very small, and looking inside it, there's nothing but the default text.

FYI, under KM76, it's Edit>Configuration...

Posted by: siria
Date: July 03, 2016 04:43PM

Bookmark target is not in preferences anymore?

Am I mistaken or aren't you the one whose history is also forever broken, and no one can reproduce? That's certainly the same weird reason, profile related, must be something on your system. Often some security/privacy/cleanup tool etc., no idea.

Date: July 03, 2016 05:54PM

siria
Ah, there they are.

I was looking in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\Profiles\zqhqkcor.default
Since that's where [Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory] takes me. Is that a bug?

[F2>Netscape Boomarks>Netscape Bookmarks File] shows:
C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\K-Meleon\fjs3w4xn.default

Regardless, it's confusing if you don't already know about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 05:56PM by Slickone.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 03, 2016 06:27PM

siria

Am I mistaken or aren't you the one whose history is also forever broken, and no one can reproduce? That's certainly the same weird reason, profile related, must be something on your system. Often some security/privacy/cleanup tool etc., no idea.

Preferences: Bookmarks target does not always work anymore. Not on my system.
We had a discussion about it in the past? Several months ago.

If Slickone's history is broken and some other weird differences to normal behaviour exist then K-Meleon profile folder is tempered with by a security software.

It has been moved from where system knows (K-Meleon IMHO reads that/knows it) to a place where only the security software knowns.

The security software can be by Microsoft (Windows 7 and higher) or it can be an outside vendor.

This typically coincides with loss of data. Bookmarks not written. Can not open last session... I had this on my grandson's win 7 PC.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 03, 2016 07:48PM

Slickone,
profile is placed inside the installation folder in case of portable installation.

And in Users folder - when general, non-portable installation was made.

It seems like you have reinstalled KM into the old folder but without 'portable'checkmark. So your old profile was 'left' by the browser and it was pointed to new one in Users.

guenter,
Preferences do show the correct way to bookmarks file in profile - just the Browse button doesn't open this folder.

Date: July 03, 2016 08:35PM

Hmm... so his KM is set to be portable (=a file "profile.ini" is in KM program folder), so it keeps the profiles inside and looks for them there.
But this programs folder is by default write-protected on newer Win systems, as long as user doesn't manually change his rights.

And his bookmarks are placed outside, in some windows user folder...

That brings up a dim memory... Have read somewhere long ago, that in order to keep old programs usable, newer WINDOWS systems automatically REDIRECTS all write requests for portable settings outside, from the programs folder to a default windows user folder! While having the program still think it were writing into its own folder, since that is the path it writes to!!

That explains a lot now to me: The culprit is Microsofts OS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 08:38PM by siria.

Date: July 03, 2016 10:51PM

I deleted everything in the program's folder and installed the newer KM version there (using the 7z file). The default points to the programs folder for bookmarks, and I have no bookmarks now.

To get everything straight and best, should I move bookmarks.html to the program's folder and delete the separate profile folders? Or should I point KM to the separate profile location?

FYI, the only security software I've ever used is Windows Defender, and have never had a virus, so it hasn't done any maintenance.

BTW, this
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/FAQ#bookmarksbackup
says the bookmark path can be found in Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory
It should say to look in Preferences instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 10:51PM by Slickone.

Posted by: foliator
Date: July 03, 2016 11:11PM

siria
Have read somewhere long ago, that in order to keep old programs usable, newer WINDOWS systems automatically REDIRECTS all write requests for portable settings outside, from the programs folder to a default windows user folder! While having the program still think it were writing into its own folder, since that is the path it writes to!!

That explains a lot now to me: The culprit is Microsofts OS!

True! Ever since I started using Win7 I've learned to avoid C:\Program Files like the plague. All my portable programs are stored in a subfolder of C:\Users\my_name\Documents\Apps; Windows doesn't redirect the configuration files from there.

The only time a browser creates a folder in C:\Users\my_name\AppData is if I extract the contents of its installation file into my Apps folder in an attempt to run that browser portable. Actually, there are exceptions, because sometimes that does work, and nothing shows up under AppData. Not true of K-Meleon, however; it leaves Mozilla folders behind in AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local.

The registry is another matter. Many portable apps create various entries in the registry, even if I haven't deliberately associated them with anything, especially if I open or save files with them, so nothing is completely portable.

There's another quirk: No matter where an .INI file is stored, be it in Documents or deep inside one of its subfolders, using Windows' system restore utility will usually bring back the previous version of the file. It can happen with .EXE files, as well. They can even disappear altogether if the last restore point was created before those files existed on the drive.

---
Gerry

Date: July 04, 2016 12:12PM

foliator,
the most reliable way to work with MS OSes without any headache is going step further - avoid ANY folder created and proposed by system including standard user profile tree.

I always create special folder 'portable' on the non-system disk and it ensures me that whatever I'll do with my system (even reinstall) all my stuff will be intact and ready for work at any time.

Moreover:
imagine you've got a crypting ransomware. It starts to encrypt your data right from desktop - than My Documents and so on. So all the default folders content will be lost at first.

Encrypting takes some non-zero time, so you have good chances to save valuable info if it would be placed far from default locations. A good idea is to place some 'garbage' in default Documents - a lot of small useless files (maybe just copies of real docs). Ransomware selects relatively small files first to encrypt as it takes time proportionally to file size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 12:13PM by rodocop.

Posted by: foliator
Date: July 04, 2016 02:36PM

rodocop
I always create special folder 'portable' on the non-system disk and it ensures me that whatever I'll do with my system (even reinstall) all my stuff will be intact and ready for work at any time.

By "non-system disk", are you referring to a separate hard drive without any system files, or do you simply place your portable folder directly beneath the root of the boot drive? My laptop has only one internal hard drive; I have an external hard drive and a number of SD cards, etc., but I leave those devices disconnected while I'm online in order to safeguard the backup files.

---
Gerry

Date: July 04, 2016 04:47PM

Just the logical drive. Enough for this.

Date: July 04, 2016 06:54PM

Should I move bookmarks.html to the program's folder and delete the separate profile folders? Or should I point KM to the separate profile location?

Date: July 04, 2016 07:30PM

You shouldn't delete 'Users'-profile anyway - it's now your working one! Not only bookmarks from there!

Look into KM-folder - is there profile.ini (zero-sized) file?
I think - not.

If so - you can recreate portable install by creating this file in KM rootfolder and moving Profiles folder from Users to Program Files/K-meleon overwriting existing data.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 07:31PM by rodocop.

Date: July 04, 2016 07:44PM

"The default points to the programs folder for bookmarks, and I have no bookmarks now."

The users profile isn't being used at all.

"profile.ini (zero-sized)"
yes

Why use a portable install?

Date: July 04, 2016 07:55PM

rodocop
the most reliable way to work with MS OSes without any headache is going step further - avoid ANY folder created and proposed by system including standard user profile tree.
Yep, what I've done from day-1 on computers too :-)
Although the initial reason was back then: if everything is in my own folders I can easily tell for sure what are my own additions (can be tinkered with or deleted) and what is preinstalled system stuff (which I better not mess with or puter may not run anymore)

rodocop
imagine you've got a crypting ransomware. It starts to encrypt your data right from desktop - than My Documents and so on. So all the default folders content will be lost at first. Encrypting takes some non-zero time, so you have good chances to save valuable info if it would be placed far from default locations. A good idea is to place some 'garbage' in default Documents - a lot of small useless files (maybe just copies of real docs). Ransomware selects relatively small files first to encrypt as it takes time proportionally to file size.

Great tips, makes a lot of sense!!
And THAT is the kind of REAL advice I'd expect to read on all those oh so clever computer tech websites, but noo... All they ever tell you is "be careful" = "be clairvoyant", how stupid.

rodocop
(Slickone)
Look into KM-folder - is there profile.ini (zero-sized) file?
I think - not.

LOL, and here I think the exact opposite! That is exactly his problem, that he uses a portable installation but without writing rights in the program folder, so everything gets secretly redirected. And because he also said he just unzipped KM there. Isn't the 7z version meant to be portable and already contains that file?
So my advice would be: delete that file and just use the normal user profile folder, where writing is allowed by the system.
After KM created a new profile folder there, all contents from the old one can just be copied over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 07:58PM by siria.

Date: July 16, 2016 04:24PM

siria
LOL, and here I think the exact opposite! That is exactly his problem, that he uses a portable installation but without writing rights in the program folder, so everything gets secretly redirected. And because he also said he just unzipped KM there. Isn't the 7z version meant to be portable and already contains that file?
So my advice would be: delete that file and just use the normal user profile folder, where writing is allowed by the system.
After KM created a new profile folder there, all contents from the old one can just be copied over.
I haven't had time to deal with this until now.
Just to be sure, you're saying delete the profile.ini file in the program's folder, and point KM's bookmarks path back to C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\K-Meleon\..., correct?

Date: July 16, 2016 06:53PM

Perhaps should mention: be careful to delete only the "profile.ini" without "s" in the name, because somewhere exists also a "profileS.ini" which is an important one, containing a list of profile paths.

Regarding bookmarks, I'd delete the whole path in the prefs completely, hoping this will cause KM to restore the "normal" path again - wherever that is.

Date: July 16, 2016 07:09PM

Just deleting profile.ini made it automatically change the path to the profile folder, so all is good.

Date: July 16, 2016 09:21PM

Good to hear! (and especially good to finally know WHY it didn't work grinning smiley)

Now wonder: what about your history probs? You mentioned in the past it didn't stick either. Does that work too now, or did you perhaps find some other solution meanwhile?

Date: July 16, 2016 09:30PM

Yes, history now works, including showing previous history before upgrading.
Trying to remember what other problems I had. LOL.
favicons are gone.

Date: July 17, 2016 12:19AM

favicons are placed in places.sqlite, so they stay in your 'wrong portable profile' folder.
They should reappear soon as you surf.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.