General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
CPU crazy
Posted by: mikeyww
Date: July 08, 2016 01:17AM

It's incredible how K-Meleon uses 24% of CPU even when it is not doing anything, right?

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CPU crazy
Posted by: foliator
Date: July 08, 2016 02:55AM

Wow, that doesn't seem at all typical of K-Meleon! By comparison, with nothing but about:blank loaded, my task manager only shows about 23,000 kb of memory in use and a 0% CPU load. This is just after startup. What version of KM are you using, and on what operating system?

Also, had the browser just started, or had you been visiting a lot of sites before going to a blank page?

---
Gerry

Posted by: mikeyww
Date: July 08, 2016 03:05AM

Version 75.1.0.0.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Version 6.1.7601
Service pack: 1.0

Visited lots of sites before going to a blank page.

KM also periodically freezes on busy pages for 30-60 seconds.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2016 03:06AM by mikeyww.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 08, 2016 11:32AM

yes, KM regularly is starting to eat CPU.

Some JS-reach sites lead to making one app thread eat up to 60% of CPU constantly. Generally this continues till the browser restart: even closing tab doesn't resolve the problem.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 08, 2016 11:40AM

I have seven tabs loaded and the KM is at .7% and has 64.9 mb of memory. By the time I have found KM in the task list sometimes it has already dropped to 0% of CPU.

I am running the newest 76 RC on Win 10 64 bit with 8 gigs of ram.

Edit: Loaded a site playing a video and saw 9% CPU and 120.6 mb of memory used while the video played. After I closed that tab the CPU usage fell to 0 but the memory only fell to 99 mb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2016 11:49AM by JamesD.

Date: July 08, 2016 09:36PM

That's not about video or flash.

Its all about CSS and JS only.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 08, 2016 11:56PM

And even none of them.

With permissions.default.stylesheet set to 2 and javascript.enabled to false, go to https://es.yahoo.com/ and open one of the front page news.

For whatever reason, with 75.0 it sits at 50% CPU for a while (or one thread in Pentium 4 HyperThreading) even you close the window (and I guess with tabs would happen too).

One of those mysteries I can't find a solution for .

Started to happen about a year back or so.

So, Yahoo! Spain, a website to avoid.

Date: July 09, 2016 12:16AM

JohnHell,

there is an inline-JS in page HTML. It cannot be blocked by our js-switcher (F7) as it blocks only separate js-file loaded from webpage.

Date: July 09, 2016 12:21AM

And that is what I mean: closing Hi-Load page (tab or window - no matter) doesn't free CPU in some of such cases.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 09, 2016 01:21AM

rodocop
there is an inline-JS in page HTML. It cannot be blocked by our js-switcher (F7) as it blocks only separate js-file loaded from webpage.

Huh - is that a new bug?? In older versions this general setting always blocked ALL js, and is supposed to.
The other setting, which is ONLY meant for external files is the permissions.default.script (or similar, only from memory)

Date: July 09, 2016 01:28AM

siria
rodocop

Huh - is that a new bug?? In older versions this general setting always blocked ALL js, and is supposed to.
The other setting, which is ONLY meant for external files is the permissions.default.script (or similar, only from memory)

No, rodocop is wrong.

javascript.enabled disables javascript, inline, or external.

javascript.enabled (all) ≠ permissions.default.script (external)

I could blame inline CSS, that permissions.default.stylesheed doesn't block, but still... no.

Date: July 09, 2016 01:47AM

Maybe I'm wrong.

But now I haven't any unusual problem with es.yahoo.com

Yes, it has an 'infinite' load like facebook when you scroll down. But it doesn't work this way with any of JS-blockers working. Tried it specially on 75.0. But the same goes for 75.1.

Date: July 09, 2016 04:52PM

Then, our systems.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.