General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Help with configuration
Posted by: lowly
Date: February 09, 2014 12:50AM

I'm so happy there is a new version of K-Mel. I was giving up hope. Thank you so muchfor providing it. smiling smileysmiling smileygrinning smiley

Now, I would like to make it look and work as I used to have it, but it's been a while and I've forgotten how to do things. Could someone please fill me in on how to do the below?

1. I want to be able to move the menus around. How do I enable this?

2. If there isn't room for all items in a menu I want those little arrows that turn on a dropdown menu (maybe this is the same as the above, don't remember).

3. How to make Open as URL (selected text) open in a new window?

4. I prefer to have the support files (config files ans so on) in the program directory instead of in Application Data. Where do I define where to store them?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Support & Development seemed more fitting, but there wasn't any fitting sub forum there. It's neither about developement not bugs.

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with configuration
Date: February 09, 2014 12:53AM

Oh crap. I didn't expect my email to be visible. If someone in power sees this, can you please remove it before the spam bots get it?

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 09, 2014 01:35PM

lowly
Oh "censored". I didn't expect my email to be visible. If someone in power sees this, can you please remove it before the spam bots get it?

Done. I would have done it anyway if I had noticed it.

The forum is moderated. If You need me as moderator? You can find out my mail - if You click my name. It is a real mail account - AFAIK Phorum protects my profile's mail data against SPAM BOTs while any user can see it.

Maybe sign in so that You can edit Your own posts and do not need a moderator for that.

lowly

1. I want to be able to move the menus around. How do I enable this?

2. If there isn't room for all items in a menu I want those little arrows that turn on a dropdown menu (maybe this is the same as the above, don't remember).

3. How to make Open as URL (selected text) open in a new window?

4. I prefer to have the support files (config files ans so on) in the program directory instead of in Application Data. Where do I define where to store them?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Support & Development seemed more fitting, but there wasn't any fitting sub forum there. It's neither about developement not bugs.

1.) I assume You mean drag to another place.

Go F2 / Gui Appearance / Toolbars and set check so that it becomes a normal toolbar.

2.) I do not understand this. Maybe drag the icon bars upon that part of the menu that You do not want or do not use often. Then You have little arrows that make a drop down menu when the items are needed.

3.) F2 / Browsing Options / General. There is a drop down menu. Typed URL...
Choose: Selected Text and set it to Your choice.

4.) That behavior that stores profile data in the install directory and makes K-Meleon portable is triggered by the presence of a profile.ini (can be an empty file) in the K-Meleon install folder. The installer offered an option for it but it is named after an old Win98 term. Grant writing rights to the folder if You use that on HDD as non Admin/user on NT based Windows systems like Win200, XP, Win7+ ...

5.) General is the support forum. General is the most frequent used part - so post here to get answer soon. It can be moved later if there is a reason to.

Greetings to .se from .de

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 02:26PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: February 09, 2014 05:27PM

Yep, as guenter posted.

Which version are you using? Just today Dorian posted the new KM74beta2!

Tip: if you still have a copy of your old (customized) installation, you can try to copy the files in it over to a new KM74 profile. Or if you changed the skin buttons, copy over its folder with a new name.
Guess nearly everything should still work, can save some time.

Date: February 12, 2014 01:22AM

Thanks guys. And thank you guenter for removing may email

I'll download the beta 2 before I start fiddling with things, but some comments.

1. Yes, I want to drag the toolbars around, have them all on one line so to speak. I've already checked and unchecked all boxes under Toolbar and nothing interesting happens. Lets see if it does in beta 2.

2. I mean as in this screen cap. Here it isn't room for the full menu bar and then I can click the arrows to get a dropdown menu with the hidden stuff.
http://i57.tinypic.com/aw9pvo.jpg

3. Right! I didn't notice the dropdown.

4. An ini file. Check.

Date: February 12, 2014 01:40AM

Solved number 2. Under View|Toolbars Lock Toolbars was ticked. Oops!

Posted by: siria
Date: February 12, 2014 08:48AM

Uhm, wasn't that number 1?

Then meanwhile only #2 is unsolved yet, with your screenshot. But I don't think it's possible to crop an icon toolbar intentionally with dropdown arrows, unless it happens automatically because 1 single toolbar is longer than screen width. Otherwise only text-toolbars can be partly covered and cropped by neighbor toolbars.

But what is possible in KM, if it helps you anything, is to add one of the many text menus as right-click on a toolbar button, either on a single button showing an arrow pic (you could use the one in bookmarks.bmp), or add it as additional function to an already existing button which has a left-click action too. For example it's easy to add the Tools/Privacy menu as right-click to the javascript button or any other one you prefer.
Of course that has nothing to do with just showing "the rest of the current toolbar". But if an already existing text menu doesn't contain what you want, you can always create an own menu first which contains exactly the commands you want. And then either right-click on that button or long-click to open the menu. I think I used that already in the classiria skin, but not entirely sure, perhaps that was only in my private modified version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 08:51AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.