General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Where are login-data (passwords)?`
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: August 24, 2016 09:28AM

I have several instances of K-Meleon in use; all with login for different websites. Now I want to put all together so that I have all logins only in one instance of K-Meleon.

Where are the logins (website/username/password) saved? What file(s) to merge? How to merge?

Other method would be to read out login data (with clear text passwords) and then insert them manually. How to get a list with all saved passwords?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where are login-data (passwords)?`
Posted by: siria
Date: August 24, 2016 09:36AM

Only have a dim memory that it's some file with a "random" name in the profile folder, and editing will depend from the file type.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 24, 2016 11:45AM

In K-Meleon 76 the data for logins is in the "logins.json" file. You might also need the "key3.db" file.

Earlier versions were different. I think that K-Meleon 75.1 used the "signons.sqlite" file.

The random number file was used in early K-Meleons up to and including the 1.x versions.

This is only as accurate as my memory.

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: August 24, 2016 11:45AM

There is a file named "signons.sqlite" that seems to have urls with logins ...

How to merge?

And how to extract passwords (as urls can be read in clear text)? Is there a tool for that (NirSoft does not seem to have one)?

Edit: ops, you were some seconds earlier ... grinning smiley ... btw: I use 75.0 and 75.1 ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 11:47AM by Voltaire.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 24, 2016 04:49PM

The only clear text display seems to be in TOOLS > PRIVACY > VIEW DATA > PASSWORDS. I have macro + js systems to output and restore the passwords, but the created file is secure and no more readable than the json file. I use my system to copy passwords from one KM installation to another. That worked very well for versions 74, 75, and 75.1.

When I tried to import my 75.1 data to 76 nothing happened. For that change I had to open both versions, use the tools menu stuff in 75.1, and go to each resource/URL and login in 76 using the ID and password so KM could save it in 76.

I now have a new version of the macro and js to save and restore to KM 76 versions.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: August 25, 2016 02:36AM

JamesD
In K-Meleon 76 the data for logins is in the "logins.json" file. You might also need the "key3.db" file.

Earlier versions were different. I think that K-Meleon 75.1 used the "signons.sqlite" file.

The random number file was used in early K-Meleons up to and including the 1.x versions.
Neither in 1.6 nor 1.7 I find any file in profiles seeming to have a random name. But there is key3.db in both. Renamed to .txt it displays nothing what could help to edit here something indeed; IMHO passwords should not be visible in clear text of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 02:38AM by Mikk.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 25, 2016 05:38AM

Mikk
JamesD

Neither in 1.6 nor 1.7 I find any file in profiles seeming to have a random name.

*.s when You reused an older profile from previous versions.

Signons or similar name if the version 1.6 & 1.7 created it.

They are base 64 files. Older posts in forum point to software that make it human readable..

For older versions of K-M also use Google search for https://www.google.de/search?client=kmeleon&num=100&q=secrypd%20mozilla%20password%20files#q=decrypt+mozilla+password+files

AFAIR If You have older profiles pwd data the next newer K-Meleon version can be used to migrate the data automatically.

You would migrate till they are jason files and then use JamesD suggestions/tools to merge the data.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 07:27AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.