General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Youtube boycotting Kmeleon
Posted by: JC
Date: September 09, 2016 02:16PM

I love Kmeleon. At last the grinding has stopped on my hard drive. No more sudden disruptions or lockups. Everyone wants to dig up about me, yeah? Here is what I got when I went to YouTube.

=======================================================
Oops, your web browser is no longer supported.

YouTube works with a wide range of browsers. However, if you'd like to use many of our latest and greatest features, please upgrade to a modern, fully supported browser.

Find the latest versions of our supported browsers below.

This message is based on the the user agent string reported by your browser. Any extensions and plugins you have installed might modify the user agent string. We received:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.0,gzip(gfe)
=======================================================

Lestest and geatest is not for us but for Google. They want to knw who exactly is writing comments on youtube, I think. That is the greatest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Youtube boycotting Kmeleon
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 09, 2016 04:06PM

Every once in a while You find a page that does not like K-Meleon's update cycle.tongue sticking out smiley

Or the browser name or...

The world wants to be deceived. :cool:

This a FAQ and the answer is: Spoof the Firefox version that the page wants.

BTW. Youtube likes my nightly FF string when I post comments.:O

You can use the useragent.kmm from K-Meleon 1.5-1.6.(in attached archive)

Create a useragent.js with the subsequent code and place it in

./browser/defaults/preferences

BTW. You can edit the code to newer UA strings.

Code:

/********************************************************************************************************/
// Privacy Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0
// pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/38 K-Meleon/76.0");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent0.name", "Firefox 38 ESR");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent0.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 K-Meleon/76");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Nightly 43");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 2.39");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:43.0.1) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.39");

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 04:08PM by guenter.

Attachments: UserAgents.7z (1.2 KB)  
Posted by: foliator
Date: September 09, 2016 08:06PM

guenter
Every once in a while You find a page that does not like K-Meleon's update cycle.tongue sticking out smiley

Or the browser name or...

The world wants to be deceived. :cool:

This a FAQ and the answer is: Spoof the Firefox version that the page wants.

BTW. Youtube likes my nightly FF string when I post comments.:O

True, guenter, spoofing the UA usually does the trick on YouTube and other sites, but I've run into sites that I can't fool. I used to run a very old version of Firefox (15, because I didn't like the later versions), and was spoofing the UA to make it look like 43; this worked on many sites, even YouTube, but when I went to access the account management page on my ISP's site, I was scolded for using an outdated browser and couldn't log in at all. I think sometimes that newer Javascript is the culprit. Either that, or the site has some other way of detecting the true version of a browser.

With IE 9, which is not nearly as old as FF 15, the site did let me log in, but then gave me nothing but a blank page. IE has never been good at Javascript rendering, anyway.

Now I'm running KM 75 spoofed as Firefox 43 and have no problems anywhere, at least so far. Just in case, however, I have not included "K-Meleon" in the UA string.

---
Gerry

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: September 09, 2016 09:55PM

I didn't have this youtube problem when using KM76 RC. Maybe it only happens with KM 75 & earlier.

Date: September 10, 2016 01:34AM

foliator
... but when I went to access the account management page on my ISP's site, I was scolded for using an outdated browser and couldn't log in at all. I think sometimes that newer Javascript is the culprit. Either that, or the site has some other way of detecting the true version of a browser.

Change the ISP and tell them why. :mad:

Yes IMHO it must be the JavaScript version that gives You away.

koko had a script on his page that could tell browsers apart by checking what JavaScript items they support.

Date: September 10, 2016 01:38AM

4td8s
I didn't have this youtube problem when using KM76 RC. Maybe it only happens with KM 75 & earlier.

KM76 RC's UA string is probably in their supported browser list.

They check IMHO the part of the string that says "Firefox number".

Posted by: foliator
Date: September 10, 2016 04:17AM

guenter
Change the ISP and tell them why. :mad:

Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as that in my location. My current ISP is a cable TV company and the internet connection is through the TV cable. There's only one other ISP available here, a phone company. Both of them charge far too much, but the phone company is even worse. They deliver internet service through an ADSL phone line, which is slower than cable, and they won't sell internet service alone. You have to buy a package that includes their home phone service, which shares the same phone line. I haven't had or even wanted a landline phone connection since I bought a cell phone ten years ago.

As for telling the ISP anything, the response is always a script. "Thank you for your input; we are committed to providing our customers with the best possible service," or BS of that nature. tongue sticking out smiley

guenter
Yes IMHO it must be the JavaScript version that gives You away.

At least in the case of IE 9 and FF 15, but fortunately KM 75's JavaScript is advanced enough to get around that, so my browser simulates Firefox 43 without the bloat. :cool:

---
Gerry

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: October 04, 2016 03:37PM

... or just click "no thanks" ... and you get to "YouTube without the latest klickibunti* stuff" ... tongue sticking out smiley

*german for "klick around like stupid and all has to be more colorful than possible to get the total eye-cancer experience" ... grinning smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.