General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Object Oriented Analysis Project Reccomendation
Posted by: grob
Date: September 10, 2016 12:00PM

Hello people!

I am an undergraduate student in the field of Computer Science and i have to complete an assignment that has to be based on an open source project.

I am here to see your views on the reccomendation that i will make.

I downloaded the browser and experimented with it. I realised that when you open the broswer, you can't have your previous tabs (previous session) displayed. I checked the settings an i didn't find the feature to enable it.

So, i am thinking to implement an object oriented analysis on this use case.

What do you think?
Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Object Oriented Analysis Project Reccomendation
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 10, 2016 01:48PM

grob
Hello people!

I am an undergraduate student in the field of Computer Science and i have to complete an assignment that has to be based on an open source project.

I am here to see your views on the reccomendation that i will make.

I downloaded the browser and experimented with it. I realised that when you open the broswer, you can't have your previous tabs (previous session) displayed. I checked the settings an i didn't find the feature to enable it.

So, i am thinking to implement an object oriented analysis on this use case.

What do you think?
Cheers

I am not sure what You Your assignment is. I am no programmer. No idea what to think.

IMHO.

You can open Your previous tabs if You chose open previous session.
That is under/submenu Tools.

You can also choose always open previous session.
Submenu of Homepage icon.

You can store/save a number of tabs as session...

p.s.

Right click on all items You see in bars and menus under all situations.
You will find a number of contextual menus.

K-Meleon is out of the box one of the most powerful and versatile browser
shells for the Mozilla engine.

The project is older than firefox.

Once implemented few features where ever removed again. Unless they broke after the people that wanted and created them were gone...

I do not think You will find many missing options/features a current browser has out of the box - and many other features past browsers once had. :O

I am still keen to find existing features & options after 12 years. :drool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 01:57PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 10, 2016 02:39PM

Seriously... without checking again on my unbearable vista box, but if I recall correctly, dont't the newer KMs since 74/75 even have a DIRECT LINK in the lower right corner to open the "previous session"?

Date: September 10, 2016 03:07PM

siria
Seriously... without checking again on my unbearable vista box, but if I recall correctly, dont't the newer KMs since 74/75 even have a DIRECT LINK in the lower right corner to open the "previous session"?

You are probably right. The default window can have it.

But who of the older K-Meleon users will ever see that instead of an old profile that opens a custom home page?

p.s. You think he is fishing for answers or wants PPL here to write his assignment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 03:14PM by guenter.

Date: September 10, 2016 04:00PM

I am not fishing for answers or want people to make my assignment. I just wanted to "introduce" myself here and see if i get positive feedback in order to start developing what i said in my first post.

Also, i think that you misunderstood what i said in my previous post. I checked what you said about the "previous tab" feature in the right corner but I wasn't talking about that.

My recommendation is to create a new "use case", a new feature that will make the user able to restore his last session, AFTER he closes the browser or if anything happens to the computer and the browser closes.

I am not here for any illicit purposes. I must contact with the community in order to start my assignment and see if my suggestion is feasible.

ps: sorry for my english

Posted by: siria
Date: September 10, 2016 04:15PM

grob
restore his last session, AFTER he closes the browser or if anything happens to the computer and the browser closes.

That is EXACTLY what this function does since many years, out of box.

Could it be some translation misunderstanding?? What exactly is the text on your button, literally?

And have you ever clicked on it after closing and starting the browser again?

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 11, 2016 12:13AM

grob
My recommendation is to create a new "use case", a new feature that will make the user able to restore his last session, AFTER he closes the browser or if anything happens to the computer and the browser closes.

That is already covered.

If crash, by default behaves as other Gecko browsers: asks to restore the last session.

If I'm not wrong, you can avoid the question by toggling the preference browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand.

In the other hand, it has the Sessions plugin, that is covered by the sessions menu and a sessions.json file.

With this you can recover your last session or any other session you have saved.

Date: September 28, 2016 04:43PM

I thought about 2 other things that could be implemented and i want to hear your feedback.

The first feature that i thought is when you put the cursor on a tab, the screen could show the tab's content semi-transparent in order to know the activity of the tab without having to press it. That could make the user's navigation faster on many ocations, and could be optional.

The second feature that i thought is the ability to add notes to the bookmars. Many people have lots of bookmars and they forget the reason they bookmarked something or the exact content.

What do you think?

Date: September 28, 2016 08:45PM

grob
I thought about 2 other things that could be implemented and i want to hear your feedback.

The first feature that i thought is when you put the cursor on a tab, the screen could show the tab's content semi-transparent in order to know the activity of the tab without having to press it. That could make the user's navigation faster on many ocations, and could be optional.

The second feature that i thought is the ability to add notes to the bookmars. Many people have lots of bookmars and they forget the reason they bookmarked something or the exact content.

What do you think?

1.) Sounds like some people will use it. It sounds useful to me.

Else switch content to see new tab when mouse is over tab without clicking?

2.) Open Edit bookmarks.

You already can add a description that can be seen during edit mode.

But maybe devise a method to add this description when You create the new bookmark would be helpful and new.

And maybe a way to see that description when You are not in edit mode.
Maybe to show it when You hover over a bookmark.

No idea whether either of this can be done by a macro or by plugin code.

Greetings to Cyprus from Germany.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 08:50PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.