General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
What Exactly is HTTP Referer
Posted by: callahan
Date: September 16, 2016 11:35AM

I'm using an older version of K-Meleon ... version 1.8.24 by autopan, if I remember his name ID correctly ... he (or she) seems to have moved on.

Anyway, today I noticed the HTTP Referer tab under Tools/Privacy. Never really paid much attention to it ... it has three tabs named as such:

Send / Send only on same domain / Block

There is a check mark beside the Send item. Since I have been using this KM version I have never changed it and really paid no attention to the HTTP Referer tab.

I was using the KM version 1.6 beta by JamesD but I don't remember if it also had the HTTP Referer tab.

So my question is ... what does it do and should I just continue to leave the check mark on "Send" or would there be a time that I should check some other tab for something "out of the ordinary"?

Thanks ... don't post here much anymore but it's nice to still see old familiar names ... I hope JamesD is still here ... as JohnHell and rodocop are and many others. These years are going by way too fast in this new century ... sad that none of us will be here for the next century ... unless we all get our brains frozen somewhere and hope for the best.

*** I should mention that I do visit here often to read and check the posts, almost everyday.

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 11:39AM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Exactly is HTTP Referer
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 16, 2016 12:02PM

The HTTP referer field identifies the address of the webpage (i.e. the URI or IRI) that linked to the resource being requested. By checking the referrer, the new webpage can see where the request originated. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer

I have never made any change from the default. I guess it depends on where you are going on the web and if you wish the browser to send your current site's info to the site that you visit when you click on a link.

I hope that I have got that right. The problem is that my mind, like the rest of me, will be three quarters of a century old later this year.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 16, 2016 01:05PM

adodupan from Bosnia. Maybe he moved on? He said he would.
His 1.8 is contemporary of 74.

Referer = which page send You. Sometimes You do not want the page to know.
Some pages may bar You if You do not allow the browser to send referer info.

Referer info can be spoofed/faked.

p.s. IMHO people from adodupan's area have a sense of humour that is not understood by people from other areas and this causes friction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 01:06PM by guenter.

Posted by: callahan
Date: September 16, 2016 08:10PM

Thanks JamesD and guenter for the replies.

The Wikipedia article explained a lot ... I thought the spelling of referer was wrong and they explain about that and how it just stuck for that ...

"The misspelling of referrer originated in the original proposal by computer scientist Phillip Hallam-Baker to incorporate the field into the HTTP specification.[3] The misspelling was set in stone by the time of its incorporation into the Request for Comments standards document RFC 1945; document co-author Roy Fielding has remarked that neither "referrer" nor the misspelling "referer" were recognized by the standard Unix spell checker of the period.[4] "Referer" has since become a widely used spelling in the industry when discussing HTTP referrers; usage of the misspelling is not universal, though, as the correct spelling "referrer" is used in some web specifications such as the Document Object Model."

You are approaching a milestone ... sad to say I am right behind you, next month I will be 72 ... how fast the years go.

guenter ... I knew I didn't have "adodupan from Bosnia" spelled correctly ... thanks for the correction. I may experiment with checking some different boxes one day.

I am going to look around and read up on what you posted and how it might be done ... "Referer info can be spoofed/faked" ... that might be handy for some "tricky sites".

callahan

Posted by: siria
Date: September 16, 2016 09:03PM

Just for completeness, there is yet another, independent "httpS" referer. Acessible only in F2>Privacy>Paranoia.
Am toggling it quite often, so after years finally kicked myself and made a tiny little macro to toggle both together always.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 16, 2016 10:42PM

callahan
You are approaching a milestone ... sad to say I am right behind you, next month I will be 72 ... how fast the years go.

James is AFAIK Your age & I am a mere 8 years younger than You.

No young NERDS here. grinning smiley

& I am not nerdy anyway.tongue sticking out smiley

disrupted adapted a FF addon that can fake "referer" for my benefit/use way back.
No idea when he posted. Possibly it can still work?

Fake "referer" can enlist You on pay sites. smiling smiley

But You need another persons entry data.sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 10:43PM by guenter.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 16, 2016 11:34PM

RefControl:

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/km74/
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/km74/refcontrol-km74.7z

I use with some sites that are quite aggressive against hotlinking (direct linking).

Posted by: Mikk
Date: September 18, 2016 11:36PM

@callahan, JamesD, guenter:O: Yes, Christmass is from year to year oftener:B.

But I remember a dialogue from the movie "Psycho" by Hitchcock (I've seen about 45 years ago): "How do you make it, you have still money enough?" - "Simply: I don't count it." (or similar) And people say time is moneywinking smiley. I think, 62 is a baby age:Bgrinning smiley.

We all have up to 120 years on this world. So let us try to reach itsmiling smiley. (Be aware, there are vultures by social insurances using sneaky methods to prevent it!:ssad smiley)

And we'll come possible back getting new bodies - new machines necessary for living on this world. But unfortunately we don't know into which conditon of the world that time:O. We must hope it will not be worse than this one now...tongue sticking out smiley That's why we must take care on it - not only for our children but perheaps even for us ourselves:mad:.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.