General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
import passwords
Posted by: John Gibson
Date: October 12, 2016 04:14AM

I have changed to K-Meleon from firefox, i would like to know if there is a way to import my stored passwords/logins into k-meleon directly or some other waysmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: import passwords
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 13, 2016 11:26AM

Just copy cert8.db, key3.db and signons.sqlite from Firefox profile to K-meleon profile folder, previous backup, of course.

Posted by: Luys
Date: October 17, 2016 04:16PM

JohnHell
Just copy cert8.db, key3.db and signons.sqlite from Firefox profile to K-meleon profile folder, previous backup, of course.

Hello everyone.
I changed from K-Meleon 75.1 to K-Meleon 76RC, and copy the three files you say, JohnHell, not work. It seems that in version 76 passwords are saved in a file (logins.json) that does not exist in versión 75.
How I can do to keep passwords version 75 in the new version 76?
Thank you.
Luis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 04:17PM by Luys.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 17, 2016 04:44PM

Luys
JohnHell

Hello everyone.
I changed from K-Meleon 75.1 to K-Meleon 76RC, and copy the three files you say, JohnHell, not work. It seems that in version 76 passwords are saved in a file (logins.json) that does not exist in versión 75.
How I can do to keep passwords version 75 in the new version 76?
Thank you.
Luis.

Just use the whole profile it converts AFAIK automatically.

p.s. I always use the past profile - I copy it into the new version - I can only say it converted the 75 passwords and I use them.

I think I changed to a 76 when it first was issued. & use the profile ever since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 04:54PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 17, 2016 04:48PM

you can use Password Exporter extension which can be installed and used just like in Firefox.

Install it to 75.1, go to about:plugins -> Extensions tab -> Password Exporter [Options] and do the export.

Then make all the same operations for 76 and import them back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 04:48PM by rodocop.

Date: October 18, 2016 10:26AM

rodocop
you can use Password Exporter extension which can be installed and used just like in Firefox.

Install it to 75.1, go to about plugins -> Extensions tab -> Password Exporter [Options] and do the export.

Then make all the same operations for 76 and import them back.

Hi everyone.
I've tried it in K-Meleon 75.1, but get this message:

"Password Exporter could not be installed because it is not compatible with K-Meleon 31.8.0esr."

Then, can you tell me how I can do?
Thank you.
L.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 10:28AM by Luys.

Date: October 18, 2016 12:07PM

There is an addon that suppresses compatibility checks.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,133880

I have it installed in ... 74,... 75.1 & 76b.
So I installed PWD Exporter. Fired it up but did not test.

Password Exporter Addon has optical glitches but seems to work at 75.1 & 76.

Another possibility to explore.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html

But as I said. Easiest. Copy the whole 75.1 profile content (all files) into the 76 Your used profile folder overwriting files there should do the trick.

Date: October 18, 2016 01:14PM

nonono, guenter!
(well, it CAN be done like you said, but the next advice will be useful next times user will cross the need in FF-addons)
The trick is easy!

Luys,
you'll need to check whether your KM is set to accept FF-addons.

Just download this file (made by JamesD)
and unpack it to your macros folder.

You should get a menu item 'Set FireFox extension install' under Edit menu

Get sure it is checked (you have ✔ sign to the left of item). If not - just toggle it checked by clicking on it.

Now you are able to install FF-addons almost natively. (not all of them would work in KM, but Password Exporter should)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 01:16PM by rodocop.

Date: October 18, 2016 01:21PM

Sure, Luys,
you can choose the way guenter described - and get ALL your profile info easily transferred to new installation.
Delete all the data inside 76s profile.
Copy all the profile content there in 75 and paste here in 76.

But don't forget to delete the subfolder startupCache after transfer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 01:23PM by rodocop.

Date: October 18, 2016 06:46PM

Guenter, rodocop, thank you very much for your answers.
I find it easier to do what you've both said it's as easy: copy all the contents of the "Profile" folder K-M'75 in the same folder of K-M'76; and I could see that it works correctly.
But I ask: by making the mix between the two versions of K-M (75 and 76), will not be unstable, will not have failures? Will it still be pure version 76, or be a mixture?
Greetings.
L.

Date: October 18, 2016 10:33PM

It shouldn't be a problem.

But if it will - just try another option suggested ;-)

Date: October 19, 2016 05:02AM

Luys

But I ask: by making the mix between the two versions of K-M (75 and 76), will not be unstable, will not have failures? Will it still be pure version 76, or be a mixture?

The folder is created by K-Meleon by writing. So AFAIK no mixture.

What can happen over the cause of time. The profile can be damaged slowly and slightly.

Mine dates back years and is always cloned into the new version.
I find no intolerable new instabilities or problems,

So You should backup essential files (bookmarks, PWD... the nirsoft tool can AFAIR extract PWD from broken profiles) sometimes but can make lives easy normally by cloning normally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 05:02AM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 19, 2016 12:18PM

And just so that you hear from the other side, I never reuse a profile.

I export, using my own method, all the passwords, etc. and import into a new profile which KM builds on its first run. When I tried to import my 75.1 passwords, my system failed. I then looked and found that the storage method had changed. My solution was to run both 75 and 76 at the same time and use View Data passwords in 75 and visit each site in 76 and login there and let the system build all my passwords in the new storage method. I then changed my way of exporting to handle the 76 storage method.

Yes, it was a bit of work, but I now have a 76 method going forward which is native to 76.

If anyone wishes, I will post my export method.

Date: October 19, 2016 03:53PM

Hey, do it! (c) grinning smiley

But Password Exporter still performs well.

Date: October 25, 2016 11:33AM

Guenter, rodocop, JamesD, thank you very much again for your answers.
Yes, I would also like to know the method you use to export passwords, JamesD.
Luys.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 25, 2016 12:55PM

Luys

There are two files needed plus 7-Zip must be installed. There is a macro (kmm) and a javascript (js) which I place in the macros folder in my profile. Since I need access to files usually held by K-Meleon when it is running, the method is to run the macro and exit KM. Upon exit the js file runs and creates a 7z file. To import one only needs to use 7-Zip to extract the information into the KM profile. Again this step is done when KM is not running.

These are the files for KM 74x-75x.

ResLogins.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- ResLogins.kmm
# ---------- K-Meleon Macro Language make an external of logins KM74x as a 7-Zip file --
#
# Dependencies		: main.kmm
# Resources			: ResLogins.js
# Preferences		: -
# Version			: 1.0   2014-04-18
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ResLogins_RunCode {
	$_ResLogins_Cur_Profile_Path = getfolder(ProfileFolder);
	$_ResLogins_Reserve_Path = promptforfolder( "Select a folder for your Reserve Profile.\nIt is best to make a separate folder.\nThe folder does not need to be within K-Meleon." , getfolder(RootFolder) ); 
	$_ResLogins_Reserve_Path ==""? &_ResLogins_Cancel : &_ResLogins_ValidateNotSameFolder;
	}

#  PRIVATE  --------------

#  set global variables
$_ResLogins_Staged_Flag = false;
$_ResLogins_Cur_Profile_Path = "dummy" ;
$_ResLogins_Reserve_Path = "dummy" ;

_ResLogins_Cancel {
	$_ResLogins_Button=confirm("Did you mean to cancel?","Affirm cancel" ,YESNO,QUESTION);
	$_ResLogins_Button == "YES" ? 0 : &_ResLogins_RunCode ;
	}	

_ResLogins_ValidateNotSameFolder {
	$_ResLogins_Cur_Profile_Path == $_ResLogins_Reserve_Path ? &_ResLogins_ReDo : &_ResLogins_Staged ;		
	}	

_ResLogins_ReDo {
	alert("Target of copy should not be\n\nthe profile folder.","Copy to itself",EXCLAIM);
	&_ResLogins_RunCode ;
	}	

_ResLogins_Staged {
	$_ResLogins_Staged_Flag = true ;
	}

_ResLogins_ExitRun {
	$_ResLogins_Staged_Flag == true ? exec("wscript.exe \"".$_ResLogins_Path."\" \"".$_ResLogins_Cur_Profile_Path."\" \"".$_ResLogins_Reserve_Path."\"") : 0 ;
	}

_ResLogins_BuildMenu{
	setmenu("&Tools",macro,"Export Logins as 7z",ResLogins_RunCode, Misc);
	}

_ResLogins_GetPath{
### ResLogins.js is supposed to be located in the same folder as ResLogins.kmm (this file).
### If it isn't, Windows Script Host will notify the user.
### Double underscore makes variable local only.
$__Data=readfile(getfolder(MacroFolder)."\\ResLogins.kmm");
$_ResLogins_Path=getfolder($__Data==""?UserMacroFolder:MacroFolder)."\\ResLogins.js";
}

$OnQuit=$OnQuit."_ResLogins_ExitRun;";
$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_ResLogins_GetPath;";
$OnInit=$OnInit."_ResLogins_BuildMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."ResLogins;";

ResLogins.js

/* ResLogins.js by JamesD, version  1.0   2014-04-18

This script is a helper application for the K-Meleon Macro Module ResLogins.kmm that
   enables you to make a reserve ( backup ) copy of the files which make up your Logins.

WSH is part of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and newer. Latest version of WSH is
   available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/
*/

var Current_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(0);  /*  PROFILE PATH */
var Reserve_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(1);  /*  OUTPUT PATH (WORKING DIRECTORY) */
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var Logins27z_Outfile = Reserve_Logins_Path+"\\KMlogins.7z" ;
var Logins27z_db = Current_Logins_Path + "\\key3.db" ;
var Logins27z_sql = Current_Logins_Path + "\\signons.sqlite" ;

WScript.Sleep( 2000) ;
var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_db+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"") ;
while (oExec.Status == 0)
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("One of two operations complete");
var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_sql+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"") ;
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("Two of two operations complete");

These are the files for KM76x.

ResLogins76.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- ResLogins76.kmm
# ---------- K-Meleon Macro Language 
# ---------- Make an external file of logins for KM76 as a 7-Zip file             ---
# ---------- Use this version only if logins saved natively in a json file        ---
#
# Dependencies		: main.kmm
# Resources			: ResLogins76.js
# Preferences		: -
# Version			: 1.5   2016-04-08
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ResLogins76_RunCode {
	$_ResLogins76_Cur_Profile_Path = getfolder(ProfileFolder);
	$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Path = promptforfolder( "Select a folder for your Reserve Profile.\nIt is best to make a separate folder.\nThe folder does not need to be within K-Meleon." , getfolder(RootFolder) ); 
	$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Path ==""? &_ResLogins76_Cancel : &_ResLogins76_ValidateNotSameFolder;
	macros("ResLogins76_RunCodeP");
	}

ResLogins76_RunCodeP {	
	$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Pswd = prompt("Enter a password for 7-Zip output file", "Password for Logins");
	$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Pswd == ""? &_ResLogins76_CancelP : 0; 
	}

#  PRIVATE  --------------

#  set global variables
$_ResLogins76_Staged_Flag = false;
$_ResLogins76_Cur_Profile_Path = "dummy" ;
$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Path = "dummy" ;

_ResLogins76_Cancel {
	$_ResLogins76_Button=confirm("Did you mean to cancel?","Affirm cancel" ,YESNO,QUESTION);
	$_ResLogins76_Button == "YES" ? 0 : &_ResLogins76_RunCode ;
	}	

_ResLogins76_CancelP {
	$_ResLogins76_ButtonP=confirm("Do you mean to NOT TO USE a password?","Affirm no password" ,YESNO,QUESTION);
	$_ResLogins76_ButtonP == "YES" ? $_ResLogins76_Reserve_Pswd="$none$" : &ResLogins76_RunCodeP ;
	}

_ResLogins76_ValidateNotSameFolder {
	$_ResLogins76_Cur_Profile_Path == $_ResLogins76_Reserve_Path ? &_ResLogins76_ReDo : &_ResLogins76_Staged ;		
	}	

_ResLogins76_ReDo {
	alert("Target of copy should not be\n\nthe profile folder.","Copy to itself",EXCLAIM);
	&_ResLogins76_RunCode ;
	}	

_ResLogins76_Staged {
	$_ResLogins76_Staged_Flag = true ;
	}

_ResLogins76_ExitRun {
	$_ResLogins76_Staged_Flag == true ? exec("wscript.exe \"".$_ResLogins76_Path."\" \"".$_ResLogins76_Cur_Profile_Path."\" \"".$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Path."\" \"".$_ResLogins76_Reserve_Pswd."\"") : 0 ;
	}

_ResLogins76_BuildMenu{
	setmenu("&Tools",macro,"Export Logins as 7z",ResLogins76_RunCode, Misc);
	}

_ResLogins76_GetPath{
### ResLogins.js is supposed to be located in the same folder as ResLogins.kmm (this file).
### If it isn't, Windows Script Host will notify the user.
### Double underscore makes variable local only.
$__Data=readfile(getfolder(MacroFolder)."\\ResLogins.kmm");
$_ResLogins76_Path=getfolder($__Data==""?UserMacroFolder:MacroFolder)."\\ResLogins76.js";
}

$OnQuit=$OnQuit."_ResLogins76_ExitRun;";
$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_ResLogins76_GetPath;";
$OnInit=$OnInit."_ResLogins76_BuildMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."ResLogins76;";

ResLogins76.js

/* ResLogins76.js by JamesD, version  1.5   2016-04-08

This script is a helper application for the K-Meleon Macro Module ResLogins.kmm that
   enables you to make a reserve ( backup ) copy of the files which make up your Logins.

Use this with ResLogins76.kmm if your logins are saved natively in a json file

WSH is part of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and newer. Latest version of WSH is
   available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/
*/

var Current_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(0);  /*  PROFILE PATH */
var Reserve_Logins_Path  = WScript.Arguments(1);  /*  OUTPUT PATH (WORKING DIRECTORY) */
var Reserve_Logins_Pswd  = WScript.Arguments(2);  /*  OUTPUT FILE PASSWORD */
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var Logins27z_Outfile = Reserve_Logins_Path+"\\KMlogins76.7z" ;
var Logins27z_db = Current_Logins_Path + "\\key3.db" ;
var Logins27z_json = Current_Logins_Path + "\\logins.json" ;
var Logins27z_pswd = Reserve_Logins_Pswd ;

WScript.Sleep( 2000) ;
if (Reserve_Logins_Pswd == "$none$") {
  var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_db+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"");
} else {	
  var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_db+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\" -p\""+Logins27z_pswd+"\"");
}
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("One of two operations complete");
if (Reserve_Logins_Pswd == "$none$") {
  var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_json+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\"");
} else {
  var oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7zG.exe a \""+Logins27z_Outfile+"\" \""+Logins27z_json+"\" -w\""+Reserve_Logins_Path+"\" -p\""+Logins27z_pswd+"\"");
}	
{
     WScript.Sleep(100);
}
WScript.Echo("Two of two operations complete");

Date: October 25, 2016 07:30PM

Wow:O:O
Awesome, JamesD. I'll try it.
Thank you very much once again.
Luys.

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: March 02, 2020 11:32PM

And...how about when one wishes to go in the other direction ??
In my case it will be from 75.1 Pro to FF, Palemoon or even Borealis Navigator under Linux.

The successful export of my passwords out of 75.1 leaves me with CSV & XML files of my ~2000 login passwords and absolutely no idea what to do with those.

Also tried copying in the cert8.db, key3.db and signons.sqlite to these newer browsers - which did nothing.
Any suggestions, please ??

Thanks.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.