General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Resize Window in K-Meleon
Posted by: msea
Date: December 28, 2016 04:28PM

Hi I'm trying to resize the K-Meleon window so I can drag it from my extended monitor (I have two monitors running) to appear on my laptop's built-in monitor.

I don't see any window resize icon. I think I did something in setup a long time ago and can't undo what I did.

Suggestions welcome! :drool:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resize Window in K-Meleon
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 28, 2016 05:01PM

F 11?

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 28, 2016 05:04PM

Check in about:config if you have the preference kmeleon.display.hideTitleBar set to true.

Should be in false.

This is the manual way.

As you don't tell the version you use, can't tell if you have it in the preferences panel (F2 to open) under GUI appearance. It isn't in 75.0.

Date: December 28, 2016 06:17PM

guenter
F 11?
Thanks for the FS reminder but that's not it... smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2016 06:18PM

JohnHell
Check in about:config if you have the preference kmeleon.display.hideTitleBar set to true.

Should be in false.

This is the manual way.

As you don't tell the version you use, can't tell if you have it in the preferences panel (F2 to open) under GUI appearance. It isn't in 75.0.

Thanks that did it. I must have made it "true" a long time ago when I first tried out the browser.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.1

Much appreciated.grinning smiley

Date: December 28, 2016 09:59PM

Oh, I remember now that Dorian included a toolbar too to be used in title-less configuration with icons to close, minimize and restore functions.

Have a look there too (View > Toolbars) if you want to continue using it. It might be in 75.1, if I'm not wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2016 09:59PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 29, 2016 12:45AM

Ah yes.... I had some dim memory too of Dorian posting some trick how to move windows without titlebars, but took a lot of searching again.
It was over 2 years ago:

Dorian 2014-07-23
JohnHell
Have in mind that this will let the window without direct move capabilities (but accesible via ALT key).

You can use empty space in tab bar smiling smiley

I've attached a skin using your settings with fix for restore/maximize. That's probably the best you can do now with kmeleon.
There is currently a bug with skin switching, you have to copy skin.js manually inside browser/defaults/preferences.

Date: December 29, 2016 03:28AM

JohnHell
Oh, I remember now that Dorian included a toolbar too to be used in title-less configuration with icons to close, minimize and restore functions.

Have a look there too (View > Toolbars) if you want to continue using it. It might be in 75.1, if I'm not wrong.

Thanks I *was* thinking it's a bit of a waste of real estate. smiling smiley And a bit of a wrigamorole to get around it. I can be slow at this stuff. I just tried both solutions - yours and the other - and can't find a quick and ez way to change back and forth - Title bar >> no Title bar

or to get resize button on another bar...

but I'm happy. smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2016 03:30AM

siria
Ah yes.... I had some dim memory too of Dorian posting some trick how to move windows without titlebars, but took a lot of searching again.
It was over 2 years ago:

Dorian 2014-07-23
JohnHell
Have in mind that this will let the window without direct move capabilities (but accesible via ALT key).

You can use empty space in tab bar smiling smiley

I've attached a skin using your settings with fix for restore/maximize. That's probably the best you can do now with kmeleon.
There is currently a bug with skin switching, you have to copy skin.js manually inside browser/defaults/preferences.

Pls see other message.. 10:28 smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2016 03:31AM by msea.

Re: Resize Window + toggle titlebar
Date: December 29, 2016 04:56AM

msea
Thanks I *was* thinking it's a bit of a waste of real estate. smiling smiley And a bit of a wrigamorole to get around it. I can be slow at this stuff. I just tried both solutions - yours and the other - and can't find a quick and ez way to change back and forth - Title bar >> no Title bar

Fine if you're happy so easily grinning smiley
Anyway, it's 2 different subjects here, toggling titlebar and toggling the windowsize.
Windowsize is easy and can be customized (various possibilities involving toolbars or menus, or can you perhaps right-click the KM tab in taskbar?) But am afraid last time I checked toggling the titlebar didn't work instantly using macros, only for the next new window - it's been awhile though, could be better now? Via F2 somewhere, just which command does that checkmark use for the title-toggle...

Date: December 29, 2016 05:29AM

siria
msea

Fine if you're happy so easily grinning smiley
Anyway, it's 2 different subjects here, toggling titlebar and toggling the windowsize.
Windowsize is easy and can be customized (various possibilities involving toolbars or menus, or can you perhaps right-click the KM tab in taskbar?) But am afraid last time I checked toggling the titlebar didn't work instantly using macros, only for the next new window - it's been awhile though, could be better now? Via F2 somewhere, just which command does that checkmark use for the title-toggle...

Thank you so much. You K-meleon folks seem very positive, helpful, intelligent and maybe slightly quirky! Just my kind of folk. smiling smiley

So here's my "challenged" solution. It's pretty easy to remember about:config since so many browsers use this. Well, Firefox, anyhow.

And then it's just "hide" to get what I want. :O

Date: December 29, 2016 07:01PM

Siria forgot to link the messages (is it me, or the Phorum search function doesn't work correctly lately?):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,128132,128271#msg-128271

There you have a Chrome stylized skin with the buttons/toolbars needed to work.

Anyway, you don't need to change your skin, just add this to your toolbars.cfg [of the skin you currently use], and copy the win.bmp file with the icons (a simplistic one I made at that moment (wow, 2 ½ years (tempus fugit))):

Winbuttons{
		minimize{
      ID_MINIMIZE_WINDOW
      Minimize
      win.bmp[0]
		}
		maximize{
      ID_TOGGLE_WINDOW
      Maximize
      win.bmp[1]
		}
		close{
      ID_CLOSE
      Close
      win.bmp[2]
		}
}

Oh, yeah, I forgot to answer @Siria, yes, still needed to open a new window to apply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2016 07:03PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 29, 2016 07:23PM

It is likely not meaningfull at this point, but this code is in skin.cfg for the Default skin in KM76RC2.
   {
      "images": [{
        "name": "windowControls.png",     
        "width":16,
        "height":16
      }],  
      "commands": [
        "windowMinimize",
        "windowToggle",
        "windowClose"
      ]		
    },

The "windowControls.png" is there also. I do not use the Default skin so I don't see it used.

Date: December 30, 2016 02:25AM

JohnHell
Siria forgot to link the messages (is it me, or the Phorum search function doesn't work correctly lately?):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,128132,128271#msg-128271

There you have a Chrome stylized skin with the buttons/toolbars needed to work.

Anyway, you don't need to change your skin, just add this to your toolbars.cfg [of the skin you currently use], and copy the win.bmp file with the icons (a simplistic one I made at that moment (wow, 2 ½ years (tempus fugit))):

Winbuttons{
		minimize{
      ID_MINIMIZE_WINDOW
      Minimize
      win.bmp[0]
		}
		maximize{
      ID_TOGGLE_WINDOW
      Maximize
      win.bmp[1]
		}
		close{
      ID_CLOSE
      Close
      win.bmp[2]
		}
}

Oh, yeah, I forgot to answer @Siria, yes, still needed to open a new window to apply.

Yeah I could see the two topics but couldn't quite wrap my head around it.. thanks for this! I like the K-Meleon default skin because it is so economical. But I will probably try the Chrome style one too.

I feel a little bit like a grease monkey talking with rocket scientists. but I'm fairly clever monkey. :drool: On that score, um... I realized that because I am using two monitors at same time, the task bar on my laptop monitor has the K-Melon button/tile whatever it's called - and right clicking on that allows me to resize the browser (sans title bar). I didn't see it initially because it comes and goes, depending on what screen I click on!

Thanks for all the detailed help. Again, I will revisit the more complicated instructions sometime in future! :cool: Would come in handy when I am *not* using two screens.

Date: December 30, 2016 02:26AM

JamesD
It is likely not meaningfull at this point, but this code is in skin.cfg for the Default skin in KM76RC2.
   {
      "images": [{
        "name": "windowControls.png",     
        "width":16,
        "height":16
      }],  
      "commands": [
        "windowMinimize",
        "windowToggle",
        "windowClose"
      ]		
    },

The "windowControls.png" is there also. I do not use the Default skin so I don't see it used.

thanks... pls see my note at 9:25

Re: Resize Window + toggle titlebar / HOWTO User Buttons
Date: December 30, 2016 02:58PM

msea
I feel a little bit like a grease monkey talking with rocket scientists. but I'm fairly clever monkey. :drool:

LOL! Funny put for "boah is that complicated!!" grinning smiley

Button config may need a bit training of course, which is the price for being extremely customizable, but actually that wasn't the prob here - just that some of this talk wasn't actually directed at yourself!
Instead just us more experienced users here discussing solutions among ourselves, which of course sounds extra confusing for others. OUR prob is that meanwhile there exist various different methods to create KM-buttons, older and newer ones. The newer ones being fundamentally different from the older ones, and additionally some of us here are stuck on old OS systems, using personally only old skins too. While those on modern systems have long since customized their toolbars to their liking too, years ago when only the old system existed, and still continue to use that one as well. So now when needing to give tips to new users using the new skins, a slight confusion breaks out :cool:

msea
On that score, um... I realized that because I am using two monitors at same time, the task bar on my laptop monitor has the K-Melon button/tile whatever it's called - and right clicking on that allows me to resize the browser (sans title bar). I didn't see it initially because it comes and goes, depending on what screen I click on!

Yeah that's what I've been asking in my previous reply too, if that tab in the taskbar couldn't be used. Okay, so this works for you while using 2 monitors, great! But not when using just one, not so great. While you're here, please hang around a bit longer and prepare that too, even if toggled off while still using 2 monitors.

What James' reply meant, translated:
no need anymore to add any additional "bmp" images or lines, because KM already has those min-max-window icons predefined! The only prob is, only the icons are predefined, but the toolbar itself not yet. Oh well.

============================= Try this:

menu Edit > Configuration > Toolbars
This opens the active toolbars.cfg
, a simply text file.
(Before changing this default file, better make a backup copy of it. Also see more tips further down)

Inside this file create a NEW TOOLBAR by adding this text:

Window Size{

WinMin{
windowMinimize|&View
Minimize Window (right-click for menu)
}

WinMax{
windowToggle|&View
Toggle Window Max (right-click for menu)
}

WinClose{
windowClose|&View
Close Window (right-click for menu)
}
}

=============================

If you add this on top or bottom or the middle doesn't matter, as long as you don't accidentally insert it INSIDE another toolbar.

TIPS:
1) In KM each button can also show a MENU at right-click. Which one is freely choosable. Find this kinda handy and in the example above have added the "&View" menu, but you can use any other too or none at all. The "&" must be added before any underlined character you see in the menu names.

2) The NAME of the toolbar and the single buttons is free text, change it if you like. Same for the tooltip-line.

3) The only thing that matters is the exact COMMAND name (windowMinimize etc.) and the syntax { { } } You can also just compare how the other buttons and toolbars are build to get more ideas for own ones or customizations.

4) The COMMAND names can be found in various places, e.g. in menus.cfg or in macros or in commands.html or the wiki... or asking here.

5) Users can easily create their OWN personal skin folder. Highly recommend!
Next to "default, Klassic and shared" folders in KM/skins/. Name it e.g. "myskin" or whatever.
Put a copy of the default toolbars.cfg and skin.cfg inside it.
Images optional, not necessary. Those lying inside this folder will be used, while KM will find missing ones in "default" and "shared" folder.
Restart the browser and choose this "new skin" in F2>GUI. Restart AGAIN.
This own skin folder with own toolbars.cfg in it etc. prevents to accidentally break the DEFAULT skin config.
And also prevents to accidentally lose your customizations some day when updating KM to a newer version, when choosing the "overwrite" method!

6) Permission probs: modern Windows versions are extremely restrictive with writing rights in the program folder. In that case move your skin folder into the current profile folder (Edit>Configuration>ProfileDirectory). Probably need to first create the parent "skin" folder there too, but haven't tested.

OK...? :cool:

Date: January 01, 2017 01:07PM

siria

Instead just us more experienced users here discussing solutions among ourselves, which of course sounds extra confusing for others...

OK cool. Thanks for the explanation. At some forums people seem almost *anal* in the Freudian sense that if you don't stick right on topic, as they see it, you are castigated or perhaps relegated to some other, less popular area of the forum. I can understand that to a degree. But I much prefer freewheeling discusssions because life is more like that, imo.

So... I just tested it out with the laptop monitor only and clicking on the tab in the taskbar did the trick. So for now I am not only happy but ecstatic! grinning smiley I made that comment with thinking only, not testing. And my thinking was not entirely clear.

Speaking of clarity of thought, I was trying to open this

http://www.studyplace.org/wiki/images/e/eb/Plato-1945-Republic-Cornford-a2.pdf

with Adobe Reader 6.0.1 and it didn't work. I hestitate to download a newer version of AR because, well, I am on a laptop with 512 RAM, a half-assed AMD Sempron processor, running XP SP 3. Every bit of RAM counts here.

I am wondering if there is a more economical way to load pdf documents. I COULD just install the latest or a newer AR, but I generally don't like Adobe products. They tend to have all sorts of startup and auto-update crap that I have to sort through later, to get rid of.

Suggestions?

Date: January 01, 2017 03:24PM

The Republic of Plato - Ok, sounds good to me.

I am using SumatraPDF within KM and it opened the file easily.

Look in the Extensions section for my 'Print Preview' work-a-round. It has the information for putting a SumatraPDF into the KM.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,140309

Note that you may need to remove or disable your current PDF software in order for this to work.

The print preview may just be an extra for you, but the files that are needed for that also let you see PDFs inside KM. Don't forget that more than the 7z is required. You need the SumatraPDF portable file too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 03:30PM by JamesD.

Date: January 01, 2017 06:29PM

JamesD
The Republic of Plato - Ok, sounds good to me.

I am using SumatraPDF within KM and it opened the file easily.

Thanks that looks like my kind of software. I did a quick search and saw that this one is also highly rated:

http://downloads.techradar.com/downloads/foxit-reader

Am wondering if anyone has compared. I'm tempted to go with foxit first because of the tiny file size. But if it doesn't integrate like Sumatra does, or if it has other unwanted surprises, I won't bother try it. On this computer I only need reading, and light as possible. smiling smiley

Date: January 01, 2017 08:48PM

msea
I'm tempted to go with foxit first because of the tiny file size. But if it doesn't integrate like Sumatra does, or if it has other unwanted surprises, I won't bother try it.

Not sure about Foxit. I have never tried that software. The Sumatra has a npp file which goes inside your KM profile and lets KM call Sumatra which is located in the same folder. I have no idea how Foxit operates. No part of Sumatra has to be installed for it to work when the two files are in the plugins folder.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 02, 2017 01:02AM

Foxit has np-plugin too and works fine but you need old versions in terms of comparable filesizes. New Foxit Readers are only half of Adobe sizes.

Foxit v.1-4 are good enough to be integrated with KM

Date: January 02, 2017 02:57AM

JamesD
The Sumatra has a npp file which goes inside your KM profile and lets KM call Sumatra which is located in the same folder.

Okay thanks. I like portable Sumatra very much but have not been able to get it to load from KM browser yet. I am a total newb so what's ez for you guys is research for me!

Here's what I got ... are these the two files you mention?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt5vb8rxxcz5hli/files.gif?dl=0

And I thought I'd just post my layout for KM...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqjgofla6j0vke9/km.gif?dl=0

I tried the "kplugins" folder and the subfolders from the "browser" folder... no luck yet..

If this is just too much to explain no problem. I can still use Sumatra to open pdfs. And switch to Firefox when I want to view something thru browser.

(I unistalled Adobe Reader with Revo uninstaller before trying all this.)

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 02:59AM by msea.

Date: January 02, 2017 03:01AM

rodocop
Foxit has np-plugin too
I'm a newb so am still a bit mystified by np-plugin, where to get, etc. Pls see previous post.. and thanks. smiling smiley

Date: January 02, 2017 02:55PM

msea

Look in this thread: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,140309

At the bottom of my first post there is an attachment. You will need to download that. Also get the file noted in the following:

JamesD
The attached file is not all a user must have for this to work. One needs a portable SumatraPDF. It should be placed in the KMroot\browser\plugins folder.

I was able to obtain this one from the author's site.
Zip file: SumatraPDF-3.1.1.zip

The attachment is a 7-Zip file which contains the required npp.dll item. Extract the pfrv_13.7z to the root directory of your KM. That will place the npp file into KMroot\browser\plugins. In the same folder place the SumatraPDF.exe file that you obtain from my quote above.

These two files are all you need to open PDFs in the browser. You will also have a new item in the FILE menu called Print for review. That comes from the pfrv.kmm that was contained in the pfrv_13.7z file.

Date: January 04, 2017 01:14AM

Awesome thank you works like a charm. I think I was rushed over the holidays and it affected my focus!

I have another old XP computer, 1.5 gb ram, that I use for bills and pdf backups. This will come in handy, for sure.

Mucho appreciated. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 01:15AM by msea.

Date: January 04, 2017 12:33PM

I am glad that it works for you. Sorry that my instructions are not better. For me, it is easier to create than to explain.

Date: January 04, 2017 02:15PM

I totally get that. Specialization. At the same time, I really was having some attention issues with that thread. So much new info I remember looking at it in a bit of a rush and just spacing out a bit. I think I saw the attached file but didn't consciously register. Sometimes I just make a stab at things in a roundabout way. I usually get there in the end! grinning smiley

Posted by: cpm1a_new
Date: September 05, 2019 10:11AM

@siria
perfect solution, thanx!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 08:29AM by cpm1a_new.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.