General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Facebook Refreshes of Feed Pictures
Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: January 30, 2017 01:03AM

Hi Folks:

I am a user of Pale Moon, and many of us are finding that Facebook exhibits similar issues on that browser, as does shows up on K-Meleon.

When you are reading your Home feed or visiting a group page, and you click on a picture to view in full size (theater mode), it loads repeatedly until you either close the browser or click home. Have you folks found a suitable workaround for this yet?

I was using K-Meleon 76 RC
smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Facebook Refreshes of Feed Pictures
Posted by: KMfan2
Date: January 30, 2017 05:24AM

I second the problem !

Posted by: siria
Date: January 30, 2017 12:20PM

Looks like you found a solution, in the Palemoom forum:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13005&start=320

Didn't read all 17 pages, but sounds like it's a bug in the Mozilla engine? And is fixed in Palemoon now?
Wonder if it's fixed in KM76 too with the newer engine inside?

Until fixed in KM too, did you find some workaround to stop it manually, perhaps using the stop button or by blocking the autorefresh-pref or using a domain-specific autoreload block etc.?

Date: January 30, 2017 12:53PM

No we haven't completely fixed it. Some useragent strings make it refresh twice and hold, but then, the home freed switches to whatever group or page the post was made. I was hoping you guys got further sad smiley

Date: January 30, 2017 12:59PM

Well what do you know? As of this morning they have ...lol.

Date: January 30, 2017 02:14PM

Unfortunately, it won't fix K-Meleon though, unless you can build a new release from a newer Gecko version.
sad smiley

Too bad too, because K-Meleon renders faster on a lot of stuff. (some areas it's slower, but great overall)

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 30, 2017 06:14PM

Yeah...
That facebook scripting issues are the most annoying among all that daily updated web stuff which makes slightly outdated engines unusable.

There was a time when this glitch was present in KM 75 but absent in 76. And for now it 'infected' Gecko38 too...

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 30, 2017 06:19PM

The worst thing is that such a behaviour of sime sites (like Facebook) is mostly far from following web standards...

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 30, 2017 07:16PM

rodocop
The worst thing is that such a behaviour of sime sites (like Facebook) is mostly far from following web standards...

But they can force to be web standard, as they are part of the W3C:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List

Date: February 16, 2017 03:18PM

So have you guys made any sense of what Moonchild did over at Pale Moon? Can that be implemented here too? (Something to do with CORS ???)

Date: February 20, 2017 02:36PM

Wow! I can't believe this isn't garnering more interest. sad smiley

Date: February 20, 2017 05:47PM

To be fair, Jody, I don't use Facebook much, less logged-in, and even, most probably in mobile version.

I didn't even dig what was that about CORS in Pale Moon. What did they exactly do? Because CORS if stands for what I know, it means the permissions for cross origin domain access policies, what is nothing that a browser can do, but target servers.

Can you post a link to that discussion or fix to know what they were talking about?

Posted by: siria
Date: February 21, 2017 10:11PM

Jody Thornton

We're just way too few people here, and no dev around most of the time. Just a few fellow users, with more or less skills, trying to help others, but that's very limited what we can do.

John, not sure if you've seen my link above to the PM forum. Perhaps there are more links from there, no idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 05:02AM by siria.

Date: February 21, 2017 11:09PM

siria
Jody Thornton

We're just way too little people here, and no dev around most of the time. Just a few fellow users, with more or less skills, trying to help others, but that's very limited what we can do.

John, not sure if you've seen my link above to the PM forum. Perhaps there are more links from there, no idea.

Oh, I see, sorry. I remember you posted something and maybe I even reviewed, but was 20 days ago

Date: February 22, 2017 01:42PM

http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Under "Security and Fixes"
smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.