General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Settings Under the Paranoia Tab
Posted by: callahan
Date: February 19, 2017 10:52PM

Have a question about what the ideal settings should be under the tab "Paranoia" ... (Privacy and Security Settings).

What boxes should really be checked under "Referer Header" for Security? Should there be checkmarks in these two boxes ... or no checkmarks for security?

Send HTTP referers

Send HTTPS referers to other HTTPS sites

Also under "Link Prefetching" ... I have "Enable Link Prefetching" unchecked.

Also under "Tracking" I have "Enable tracking settings" checked with "I do not want to be tracked" showing in the box ... or should I just not have a checkmark in the "Enable tracking settings" box?

I would like to know what others have checked under "Paranoia" and if there are problems with banking and such on your end? I am working with the newer version of K-Meleon 75.10 by rodocop from:

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 13, 2016 11:29PM

I just discovered and downloaded this version today and am currently working on my preferences for security and such. I am using an older version of K-Meleon ... 1.8 but I have never been sure of what settings to have under the "Paranoia" tab.

thanks

callahan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Settings Under the Paranoia Tab
Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 19, 2017 11:32PM

I have all these settings set off (no checkmarks).

But you may have some problems when referrers are off. Try to and decide. Some privacy may be added sure but... it's really paranoia grinning smiley

Also it's taken to be good with YOUR setup of 'Tracking' (less tracking from sites) but really it has much less sense than adding anti-tracking subscription to AdBlock or use some web-filter (like OpenDNS, K9 Web Protection and so on ;-)

Posted by: callahan
Date: February 20, 2017 12:05AM

Thanks rodocop ... I thought I had read a year or two back that there might be some problems with certain websites if the referer boxes are not checked.

I will "experiment" with the checkmarks and no checkmarks ... yes, it is all Paranoia on my part. ... I don't know how to add smileys to my post or I would add a "laughing smiley" to the Paranoia part.

Seem to like the KM 75.10 so far ... just about done with my preferences.

callahan

Posted by: siria
Date: February 20, 2017 05:48AM

There is no "perfect" permanent setting for such stuff, like there is also no perfect setting for cookies etc.
It depends from the user opinion and from the websites.
My own choice are additional buttons in the privbar to toggle everything only as needed, even if it costs more space. Made my buttons much smaller as usual though (12 on 19cm)

The smiley-buttons you only get to see here with javascript + "roll-over effect" for images.
But without, they are usable too by just typing their keys from memory. There is also a very ancient macro somewhere to add them by a menu, either called BBsmileys or KMsmilieys...
Main ones are simply:
sad smiley smiling smiley grinning smiley :cool:
(smiley conversion switched off for this post)

(and now re-discover myself a second smiley set with a lot more and modern ones, linking to an external hoster!
Must be JohnHells recent macro, had never forgotten it, but forgotten they appear also visibly with JS, not just in the macro menu!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 10:23AM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 20, 2017 05:38PM

siria
(and now re-discover myself a second smiley set with a lot more and modern ones, linking to an external hoster!
Must be JohnHells recent macro, had never forgotten it, but forgotten they appear also visibly with JS, not just in the macro menu!

Those macro/smileys were made for this forum only

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.