General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
security at surfing?
Posted by: Frank M
Date: April 08, 2017 09:54AM

I use k-meleon at windows 8.1.

I like the nice design, features and fast browsing but I don't know how safe browsing is since it's based on old firefox version (current firefox version is 52).

my "about k-meleon" shows:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 K-Meleon/76.0

I think that firefox got a lot of security updates meanwhile.

At least at online-banking I get a warning by my bank to use a "newer version of firefox".

Is k-meleon still safe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: security at surfing?
Posted by: David
Date: April 08, 2017 10:39AM

Hello,

i use KMeleon for more than a half year.

KMeleon is very good for hidding your Adresse and Surfing Acctivity. When you have the right options clicked in KMeleon Browser it is not possible for Google, Facebook,Youtube and co. to "hack your Adresse" and get every information they want from you, including NSA, PRISM etc.

But! KMeleon is threw its very small and easy to handle, also bad against Viruses, Trojaner, Hacks etc.

So if you get on a page where maleware is everywhere Kmeleon won't protect you, also when you do Online Banking it is just a "normal" Browser to get on page, not to protect you.

KMeleon uses as far as i know the old version of Firefox. Cause of that internet hosters think you use Firefox, but in reality you use KMeleon.

Greedings

David

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 08, 2017 12:51PM

I have used K-Meleon as my default browser for many years. I did have to write my bank and ask them to accept KM for their website four years ago. Banks don't usually use the 'latest and greatest' HTML or CSS because they need stability and security. Social media sites always seem to be first with new stuff. I am lucky there. This forum is my one and only social media site.

A couple of safe practices when surfing have kept me OK. I accept all cookies, but only for the session. I have a set of 'acceptable' domains set up in KM to keep cookies between sessions. I surf with Javascript disabled. I have a list of domains where js is required and I know the sites are safe. I have set KM to enable js for those sites.

Even with these practices, sometimes I will get one of those messages that there is something amiss with my computer. Usually that comes in a new window or frame. The message wants you to click on something or call some phone number. Don't do that! Just press CNTL ALT F4 and close KM. If that does not work, use CNTL ALT DEL and stop KM from the Windows task mgr.

K-Meleon is safe. I would rather trust my safe practices than the 'claim' of some company that just wants market share.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 08, 2017 03:29PM

Banking sites are safe and usually old stable design. You can spoof a newer version so that they do not bug You.

I would be nice to have a newer engine but it takes much time.

p.s. Bank Seiten sind eh sicher & konservativ. Ihr könnt eine andere FF Version vortäuschen, damit sie nicht nerven. Fall Interesse ist, erklär ich wie.

mfG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 03:30PM by guenter.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 08, 2017 05:55PM

Even though what callahan said here (the ssllabs.com test):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,141148,141413,page=2#msg-141316

K-meleon is safe.

K-meleon 75.x could be not as safe, but K-meleon 76 (Gecko 38, has already the fix) so you don't need to worry, because that versions has all fixes needed.

Said that, doesn't mean that the stable 75.1 is insecure. Have in mind that for those attacks to be effective there MUST be a MitM attack. Otherwise, they won't happen. Ok, better secure than nothing, but it is unlikely we are unsafe, if we follow security practices, type the url, not following a link, check certificates, enable OCSP certificate verify, etc.

Anyway, you are on Windows 8.1, so you don't have any restrictions on browsers versions, so, if you feel unsecure, just use the latest by Mozilla or even Google Chrome.

Posted by: callahan
Date: April 09, 2017 11:30PM

JohnHell,

Downloaded K-Meleon 76 Pro earlier today and just finished the settings. It does seem to get better results at that SSL/TLS test page. I have been using KM v1.8.24 and KM 75 Pro.

I didn't realize KM 76 Pro was useable so I never tried it till today. It seems to work just fine so far ... still have a few settings to work with. Probably later in the week.

callahan

Posted by: J.G.
Date: April 14, 2017 11:08AM

Hello, I have read very good comments about K-Meleon browser so I had decided to use it for a while. However, there is only a 573 days old stable latest in the download area. I sincerely don't know if this amount of time of unreleased new versions or security fixes is really important in security terms for the common user, but certainly it seems a bit old to the eyes of any new non-experienced one. Why security patches are not released? If no security patch has been released yet, does it means that K-Meleon 75.1 is still safe for normal use? Thanks in advance. J.G. smiling smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 14, 2017 04:05PM

Read my message above, J.G.:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,141414,141491,page=1#msg-141418

To download the latest 76 RC, if it is your wish, go here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,138447,gotonewpost

Posted by: J.G.
Date: April 14, 2017 05:32PM