General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
List of recent user agent strings
Posted by: foliator
Date: April 22, 2017 01:27AM

Those of you who spoof your user agents in K-Meleon might like the following site, which has a large, frequently updated list of the most recent user agents, including Firefox, Chrome, Safari and IE:

https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01/03/most-common-user-agents

The site will also display the one your browser is reporting, and if it's in the list, it will also be highlighted there.

I've changed my K-Meleon UA to Firefox 52:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Now not one single site has complained that my browser is outdated, not even Google. smiling smiley

---
Gerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: List of recent user agent strings
Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 22, 2017 03:38AM

most newest UA-strings are already built in KM Pro with its UA per site switcher.

Just FYI.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: April 23, 2017 02:33AM

foliator

Now not one single site has complained that my browser is outdated, not even Google. smiling smiley
I tried to set this string into my KM1.7 Alpha and Google really didn't complain that my browser is outdated. It refused the cooperation almost completely. It appeared without logo and insert line:O. All other was correctly displayed grinning smiley

Date: April 23, 2017 02:46AM

Yes,
because it gives you the page with all the modern stuff which is impossible to render with 1.7.

The sort of same but more strange issue I've got with TheWorld Browser 6 with hacked useragent (it shows Chrome 57 instead native 31):
when on Facebook this version with native UA (31) shows the site - but with warning about outdated browser
but with hacked UA (57) it shows no warning but also no site - only headline.

So it seems that Facebook sends to browser something strange for 31 engine version, that cannot be rendered even though this engine handles Facebook pretty good with native UA (e.g. it supports site techs themselves).

Date: April 24, 2017 04:54AM

TheWorld7 has a problem with the HD videos on YouTube. It loads the black video box, but the playing never starts. On the other hand, the thumbnails on the seek bar show up as I drag the slider to the right from frame to frame. On every other site I visit with TW7 the videos work fine.

KM 75 plays all videos, including YouTube's HD videos, with the one exception of EarthCam's HD videos.

I also have SRWare Iron (Chrome clone), in which I'm now spoofing Chrome 58, and I haven't encountered any videos that won't run.

This non-standardization is getting ridiculous. :mad:

---
Gerry

Date: April 24, 2017 03:17PM

KM plays HD-marked video only with Flash-player or - when with html5 - only in lowres.

HiRes HTML-5 player also gives blackbox with load animation.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: April 24, 2017 03:28PM

Hi, here there is "a dynamic, downloadable list of the most common user agents":
https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01/03/most-common-user-agents/
I hope it helps for something. smiling smiley

Date: April 24, 2017 04:10PM

J.G.
Hi, here there is "a dynamic, downloadable list of the most common user agents":
https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01/03/most-common-user-agents/
I hope it helps for something. smiling smiley

You might want to look at the first post in this thread. grinning smiley

---
Gerry

Posted by: aimfiend
Date: April 25, 2017 01:34PM

Is there any working UA macro or extension? i searched all forum and tried UA2 macro , neither working nor perfect...

Posted by: aimfiend
Date: April 25, 2017 01:39PM

@rodocop I hope u could collect all extensions and macros seperately, make them downloadable , I made my own KM light version and only need some macro from your pro version, and could not get the extensions from your km pro.

Date: April 25, 2017 02:19PM

What does it mean "KM light version"? Does it works well? :O

Date: April 26, 2017 05:23PM

@foliator I'm sorry because I hadn't seen the link posted by you. :s

Date: April 26, 2017 07:26PM

Can be a better string for 1.7 Alpha than the default one

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28

Date: April 30, 2017 10:08PM

Mikk
foliator

I tried to set this string into my KM1.7 Alpha and Google really didn't complain that my browser is outdated. It refused the cooperation almost completely. It appeared without logo and insert line:O. All other was correctly displayed grinning smiley
I tried it once more now and it works at all. I don't know in what is grounded the difference now to last time. Only, if Javascript on, it reports a message about a non-respondig script, must be purged. No problem if JS off here, but at some other sites as everytime, anyway. And the Google insert line apears without the frame.

Mikk
Can be a better string for 1.7 Alpha than the default one

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28
Following the observation above there exists probably such UA but seems nobody knows it yet. I'll try to find the optimum under the link in the initial post here if I'll get to some important site protesting against my browser in future

Posted by: siria
Date: May 09, 2017 12:26AM

Great link, to willshouse blog :-)
Especially a list of really CURRENT strings!

aimfiend
Is there any working UA macro or extension? i searched all forum and tried UA2 macro , neither working nor perfect...

I thought the old macro from KM1.6 would still work in newer versions too, but cannot guarantee.

Useragent2... yikes, had to search around for it, had it almost completely forgotten! From 2010, time is flying... But according to its description it only adds another option to the native, old UA macro, that means UA2 cannot work standalone. And it can work ONLY together with that old version or another "global" one. Not together with rodocops site-switcher (naruman), which kills all other UA macros.

This automatic UA site switcher is hardcoded into KM-Pro version, and I suppose it does work. The hard file is KmeleonMain.js inside omni.ja. If it were instead in an openly accessible "components" folder as it was in the first versions that would make it optional.
Just be aware (if I read that script right) that it does NOT allow to change the default setting. Whenever you switch the UA with it, it only adds the current DOMAIN to the UA sites pref for THIS fake UA, and will now and in the future use this fake UA on this domain.
It seems to be missing an option to FORGET that site again though...
Deleting it would be rather easy, if you go to about:config page and filter for "useragent", then delete the "...sites" pref. Can also be done by yet another little helper macro if there's interest.
(Update: sigh, couldn't resist, already in the works...)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 08:35AM by siria.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: May 09, 2017 07:23AM

aimfiend

"How to" for UA switching was explained for several times on these forums, last time by Guenter if I recall exactly.
Whether you'll find the solution perfect or not is another matter.

1. - make sure that "useragent" and " useragentmode" are checked
in Preferences\Macro Extension.
/********************************************************************************************************/
// Privacy 
# UserAgent.js for Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20140105 K-Meleon/74.0

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Iceweasel");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20121202 Firefox/17.0 Iceweasel/17.0.1");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "K-Meleon 75.1");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.1");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "Firefox 45.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0");

Name the above file "UserAgents.js" and place it in K-Meleon\browser\defaults\preferences.
That's it.
You can edit the file, modify the existing strings or add as many as you like.

Posted by: luk3Z
Date: June 06, 2017 04:54PM

Yogi
aimfiend
(...)
Name the above file "UserAgents.js" and place it in K-Meleon\browser\defaults\preferences.
That's it.
You can edit the file, modify the existing strings or add as many as you like.

I think you mean ua.js.
...and yes we can easily change user agent string in Tools menu.

This is example of my current ua.js:

// begin code
// Privacy

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "K-Meleon 75");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/31.2.0");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 2.3.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "Firefox Nightly 38");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent4.name", "Iceweasel 17.0.1");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent4.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20121202 Firefox/17.0 Iceweasel/17.0.1");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent5.name", "K-Meleon 75.1");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent5.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.1");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent6.name", "Firefox 45.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent6.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0");

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,150634
K-Meleon Quick Reference:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php
Basilisk/KM/SM xpi converter:
https://www.addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
Best regards.

Date: June 07, 2017 08:57AM

luk3Z
I think you mean ua.js.

You can name that file as you like. Pokemon.js will work as well. smiling smiley
I suggested UserAgents.js so one can't forget what that file is good for.

luk3Z
...and yes we can easily change user agent string in Tools menu.

Even easier, instead of Tools menu, you use forthright the UserAgent button (right-click).

Re: List of recent user agent strings / autoswitcher?
Date: June 07, 2017 10:56AM

Yeah, and mine is called "useragents_mine.js", to reduce the risk of losing it accidentally some day when updating KM or installing a macro without first looking inside. Normally won't do that, but accidents happen.

Speaking of UAs, have lately started playing a bit with the UA-autoswitcher extension, which is also hardcoded in KM-Pro omni.ja. But cannot test KM7x online myself.
Could someone with KM76-default and someone with KM76pro (without/with autoswitcher) please test and confirm that the old 'override' pref still works, on some browsertest sites?? Perhaps just using the old KM1.5 macro?

My goal is to combine both functions, to allow changing the default (fake) UA as in good old simple times, but still allow in a few select sites an automatic site-UA.
If I read the autoswitcher script inside omnija right, it keeps ENFORCING it's own hardcoded fake UA string (KM+FF+versions) each time, on all sites that have no own setting. It also sets the override-pref each time again (setpref), but wondering: does this have any effect for the switcher itself, or is it only informational somehow or for use in old KMs?
Lets say, if another macro (from KM1.5) has changed the override pref, and the switcher would NOT overwrite that pref each time (no "setpref" action), would the switching function still work? Is the switcher itself needing that pref or not? If the global pref still works in KM76, would it be necessary that the switcher overwrites it first for its own exception sites, or is it ignoring that pref anyway and switching works merely by modifying that header stuff before calling a new page? And even if that works (??), would subsequent frames/iframes on the same page inherit the UA from the initial call, or read the general browser pref again? And what about redirects, like from the google-search hitlist??

Sigh, guess getting too complicated everything sad smiley But at any rate this switcher script should be removed from omnija and made accessible for user edits. Good thing is, the part inside that does the setpref/getpref/IF-ELSE stuff has much resemblence with macro commands, so customizing would be easy.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 03:22PM by siria.

Date: July 11, 2017 04:09AM

Is it useful to try also UAs for Mac or Linux, respectively, if I have Windows98? I don't think, indeed, but you never know, there is nothing not possible :O. Thats why I'm asking now, anyway.

Date: July 11, 2017 06:05AM

And, where can I find the default UA of my KM(1.7)?

Set one from the preset list, I can see it under "Custom" but if I set "Default" the Custom-field is empty.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 11, 2017 03:15PM

Help > About K-meleon or type in the url bar "about:" without the quotes.

Date: August 11, 2017 06:01PM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Works really fine with Gmail. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 26, 2018 10:31PM

With Google search, the following functions are performed depending on which UA is used. Function, followed by UA syntax equivalent.

Mouseover graphic; but, no dates on the left of the page: XP-Win10+FF52-59~, KM76.
Dates on the left of the page & no mouseover graphic: Win2k+KM1.6 or KM76, XP+FF24, XP-Win7+IE7 (XP+IE7 -siria). I know these user agents are incompatible with at least gmx.com Mail and yahoo Mail.
User can finish the Captcha; problems started arising ~August 25 2018: XP+FF24, Win10+FF52, probably other/all UAs work that I haven't yet gotten a captcha to test.

In other words: Make one thing work the way you want Google search to work; something else won't work.

This list is not all inclusive of which Google search functions work or don't work with OS+browser UA syntax beyond what I noted.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 10:48PM by KM2005.

Date: August 26, 2018 11:34PM

Just for curiosity, wanted to compare my usual google look with UA for Win10+FF52:
but see no difference. Perhaps they're checking features too. Interesting that they also redirect me automatically to "&gbv=1" in the urlbar, that means "google basic view".
Perhaps this key is what creates the time-menu at left?

Regarding reCaptchas, we should probably mention that the most important change in their current scripts is the need for a "messageChannel" feature. When that function is not available yet in an older browser (FF25, KM74 or older), or when only the pref is disabled (FF26, KM75 or newer), users said they get stuck in the very beginning already, when clicking on "I'm not a robot".
In newer browsers users can toggle this pref on about:config, and if missing create it themselves:
dom.messageChannel.enabled = true (Bool)

This function helps identifying users. Sounds like it's probably bad for privacy.
Have lately started adding comments in about:config for such cases :cool:
dom.messageChannel.enabled__INFO = INFO: for user identity / reCaptcha not clickable if false
Find that quite helpful, no need to remember the exact pref later, just filter for a keyword like "recaptcha" and the info with the pref name shows up.

Date: August 27, 2018 07:01AM

siria
In newer browsers users can toggle this pref on about:config, and if missing create it themselves:
dom.messageChannel.enabled = true (Bool)

If a pref doesn't show up in "about:config", it is either missing or hidden.
One can add a pref in "about:config" only for a hidden pref in order to change its state.
If the pref is missing, whatever one might add to "about:config", it won't have any effect.

Edit:
- The above pref got removed since Firefox 43.
I assume that Pale Moon 28 doesn't have this pref either but didn't bother to test myself.

Diff between firefox 43.0 beta 3 default preference and firefox 42.0

In Pale Moon 27 aka Goanna, which relies partially on older code, the above pref was hidden.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 08:48AM by Yogi.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 27, 2018 01:02PM

siria
Just for curiosity, wanted to compare my usual google look with UA for Win10+FF52:
but see no difference. Perhaps they're checking features too. Interesting that they also redirect me automatically to "&gbv=1" in the urlbar, that means "google basic view".
Perhaps this key is what creates the time-menu at left?

@siria
Any difference with the following exact UA? Your Javascript was enabled? It's JS dependent too?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

If I interpret a wikiepedia browser_engines article correctly, mouseover is supported since Gecko 1.0/CSS2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 01:10PM by KM2005.

Date: August 27, 2018 10:31PM

@KM2005:
No difference with that string. Of course, NO js on google, this is not a matter of life or death grinning smiley like the reCaptcha prob. And I do like that time-column, the look I get is exactly what I want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 10:33PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.