General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Need help with context menu search
Posted by: wsurfer0
Date: July 17, 2017 01:43PM

Hi, new user here (K-Meleon 75.1 portable). I don't understand how the context menu search works in K-Meleon, ie. when I select a word on a page and then right-click, I expected to see something like "Search for *word* on Google", but there is only this:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with context menu search
Posted by: siria
Date: July 17, 2017 03:17PM

Hi,
just select something and then hit the Search-button!
And always a good idea to right-click on buttons, just in case, some have a handy menu there (or add one yourself)

It's also possible to type some search terms in the urlbar and then hit the button to search.

It's also possible to add search engines as bookmarks, give them a nickname, then type the nick and search terms in the urlbar and now hit RETURN (not Search)
(example: nick "gt" for bookmark www.google.com/search?num=30&gbv=1&strip=1&q=%s )

KM works a bit different in some ways as other modern browsers, and documentation is often obsolete and misleading, so always a good idea to ask here smiling smiley

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: July 17, 2017 03:31PM

General search settings are here, on several "tabs" in the right side:
Hit F2 > Browsing > Finding Websites

hmm, now see I also have a "Search with... " entry in the context menu, not sure if that's a special macro (SearchPlus) or just a setting.
Dim memory coming up... The default menu name for searching was badly outdated for many many years, or perhaps still is? Sorry have forgotten the details, without further investigation yet. Could be defined either in toolbars.cfg or in a macro or menus.cfg or wherever.
Anyone remember better or can look it up? :cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 03:44PM by siria.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 17, 2017 08:41PM

@wsurfer0

You have to set up first some search engines you want to use with Web Search. (Yours is so far empty.)

Those search engines will show up in the context menu and you can click on the one you want to search with.

Date: July 18, 2017 02:40PM

siria
Hi,
just select something and then hit the Search-button!

Like I said, I'm a new user. Would you kindly tell me where to find the Search-button? And also, is there a way to get it into the context menu somehow?

Date: July 18, 2017 02:45PM

Thanks, but that part of Preferences looks a bit different here:

Date: July 18, 2017 03:21PM

Looks the same to me, except that Yogi's is already customized.
At the bottom of your own screenshot, there's a button to get more: "add entry"

To find the search button, does your skin look similar like the first screenshot on that page?
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/shots.php
The search button is the little round greenish "globe", directly next to the little "house" button.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 18, 2017 06:55PM

wsurfer0
Thanks, but that part of Preferences looks a bit different here:

You can delete the second entry. Search strings won't work for Web Search.
You can also delete the third entry because it's a duplicate.
You can delete or add new entries by clicking the respective arrows.

Now if you do a Web Search, the context menu should look like this:

The search button isn't for Web Search and you can't place it into the Web Search context menu.

Date: July 30, 2017 04:51PM

Hi again,

First of all, thank you all for your replies. I finally figured out the symptom, but not how to solve it. When I choose a search engine under Configure > Web Search, it only shows during that session. When I restart the browser, no search engine on right click. I assume this has something to do with the fact that my K-Meleon is portable (75.1), please let me know if I'll have to switch to full installation (although I kind of like it this way). Thanks.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 01, 2017 09:16PM

you have some sort of corrupted installation.

Check you download source for KM you've installed. No reason should be in portable variant but you are probably facing the problem of some missing or non-saved files.

Try Troubleshooting -> Check Privilege
Try to create new profile (Edit -> Manage Profiles -> New...)
Try KM 75.1 Pro as alternative

Or better use newest KM 76 Pro (if your PC allows you to)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.