General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mysterious shortcut key issue
Posted by: foliator
Date: August 13, 2017 03:49PM

Starting yesterday some of my accelerator keys in KM have stopped working. Specifically, the Ctrl key no longer works in combination with special keys, such as VK_DOWN, VK_RETURN or VK_F10. The Alt key still works with the special keys; the issue only seems to involve the Ctrl key, although that still works in combination with any of the alphanumeric keys.

This only applies to K-Meleon. It doesn't affect any of my other programs, such as my text editor, etc. I checked accel.cfg, but it hadn't been modified or corrupted, so I don't know why those particular combinations are being singled out, when the rest of them work fine.

I thought perhaps one of my latest macros might be causing this behavior, so I disabled all of my user-defined macros and relaunched KM, but that didn't help. I then restored my profile from backup, but no luck. To make sure none of the program files in KM's root folder had been corrupted, I replaced them with those in the original distribution archive (I use the portable version), but that didn't help, either.

Ideas, anyone?

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 03:51PM by foliator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mysterious shortcut key issue
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 14, 2017 11:20AM

It does not happen to me with KM76 on Win 10. I will see if I have a 75 loaded and try. I have no machine with Win 7.

Edit: Control + t opens a new tab for me in KM 75. I think the problem must be unique to your setup.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 11:33AM by JamesD.

Date: August 14, 2017 01:54PM

JamesD
Control + t opens a new tab for me in KM 75. I think the problem must be unique to your setup.

Ctrl T works for me, too, but the special (virtual) keys are what I meant. For example, for a couple of years now I had been using Ctrl + Down Arrow (CTRL VK_DOWN) to toggle the display of KM's status bar on and off. That no longer works. Same goes for Ctrl + Enter (CTRL VK_RETURN) and Ctrl + Space (CTRL VK_SPACE) for other functions. In fact Ctrl plus a function key, such as F10, won't work, either.

If there were something wrong with my keyboard or computer, those combinations wouldn't work in my other applications, but they do. This is too weird! :s

I didn't post this in the Bugs forum, because the problem appears to be only on my end.

---
Gerry

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 15, 2017 12:55AM

In russian OSes something like this happens with K-Meleon when the primary OS language is set to non-latin (cyrillic, russian - for example).

Standard system-wide "Ctrl+...'-based shortcuts disappear in these cases (stop working and not showed in menus).

Check your OS language settings (keyboard layouts etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 12:56AM by rodocop.

Date: August 15, 2017 03:30PM

rodocop
In russian OSes something like this happens with K-Meleon when the primary OS language is set to non-latin (cyrillic, russian - for example).

Standard system-wide "Ctrl+...'-based shortcuts disappear in these cases (stop working and not showed in menus).

Check your OS language settings (keyboard layouts etc.)

They are set to U.S. English, and haven't been changed since I first installed KM a few years ago. I had been using those Ctrl + VK key based shortcuts successfully up until a few days ago, when I created this thread.

On the other hand, the same shortcut combinations are working in other programs, for example in AkelPad, where I use the same keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Down) for toggling the status bar on and off that I was using in K-Meleon.

As I mentioned earlier, combinations of Ctrl + alphanumeric keys, such as Ctrl + A or Ctrl + 2, still work in KM. The issue is only with Ctrl combined with those VK keys.

---
Gerry

Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2017 12:21AM

No clue either, but sharing your first suspicion that it might have to do with your recent shortcut changes... Does the error console show anything interesting after startup? Did you restart the system again? And what happens when you start a complete, fresh unzipped portable version?

rodocop
Standard system-wide "Ctrl+...'-based shortcuts disappear in these cases (stop working and not showed in menus)

Oh great sad smiley Now wondering what that means exactly... do you have to redefine all those shortcuts in KM itself?

Date: August 16, 2017 01:27AM

siria
No clue either, but sharing your first suspicion that it might have to do with your recent shortcut changes... Does the error console show anything interesting after startup? Did you restart the system again? And what happens when you start a complete, fresh unzipped portable version?

The issue started long after I had made the last changes to my accel.cfg. The shortcuts had been working fine until then. As for the error console, I can't make head or tail out of that stuff, but I don't see anything relating to shortcut keys. At first I suspected that one of my newest macros might be doing this, although they all work perfectly.

Yes, I rebooted the computer, too. That was one of my first thoughts, because it has cleared up some weird behavior in the past.

As I mentioned earlier, I did try replacing the files in KM's root folder with a fresh copy of the portable version, thinking that maybe one of the program files had been corrupted, and also restored my profile from a backup copy on an external hard drive, but it made no difference.

The Ctrl key itself is still fully functional in K-Meleon, as long as I only combine it with A to Z or 0 to 9. It's beyond me why those VK key combinations are being singled out, especially when they work in other programs, and Alt works fine with the VK keys, even in K-Meleon. Someday I'm bound to discover the cause quite by accident, but meanwhile I've redefined the faulty shortcuts.

---
Gerry

Date: August 16, 2017 10:48PM

from my previous post:
Someday I'm bound to discover the cause quite by accident.

Well, not quite; it seems I've discovered a workaround by accident instead of the cause: I tried adding those nonfunctional shortcuts to the default accel.cfg (browser\default\settings\accel.cfg) instead of the one in my profile, and they work now. :O

I'm not worried about those changes affecting all profiles, because there's only one, my own. No one else uses this computer -- which is a good thing, because the way I've customized it, other users would be totally lost, so I'd have to create a help file for them. Some of my registry tweaks make Windows 7 behave a bit differently than one would expect. grinning smiley

---
Gerry

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 08:40PM by foliator.

Date: September 07, 2017 08:41PM

Update:

Well, after nearly a month, there's another development: After adding all of my custom shortcuts to the default accel.cfg under \browser\defaults\settings, I thought I had found a workaround, until more of the shortcuts stopped working.

I still can't figure out why this odd behavior suddenly showed up after two years of reliable performance from this version of K-Meleon. As far as I could tell, no files had been corrupted, but to make sure, I even downloaded the portable package again and replaced all the program and default data files. That didn't help.

So now I've copied the exact same accel.cfg file to my profiles folder, thinking this would make it easier for KM to find the shortcuts. They're all working again -- so far! :s

---
Gerry

Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 07, 2017 11:16PM

siria
Oh great sad smiley Now wondering what that means exactly... do you have to redefine all those shortcuts in KM itself?
Solution is to redefine it in russian (Ex.: Ctrl+Щ) or just to set English keyboard layout as primary for OS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 11:17PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.