General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Can't login forum / bet.forumfree.it
Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 11, 2017 04:00PM

I admit that removing the useragent.kmm file wasn't a good idea of Dorian, especially if the browser doesn't get updates for such a long time.

However, with useragent.kmm and UserAgent.js, changing the UA in KM76 works like a charm.

I asked KMfan2 if he knows how to modify the UA. He answered with "yes" and I assume that in his native language "yes" doesn't mean "no".
I also advised him to check if the UA change gets applied.

As for KM-Pro, I never mentioned it in my above posts since I never used it.

As a side note:
Out of curiosity I visited <forumfree.it> with a fantasy UA:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Ikarus/80 Ikarus/80.0 K-Meleon/76.0
Guess what - the site shows up fine.
So it's not the "K-Meleon" string in the UA that causes the problem but the badly outdated " Firefox/38.0"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KMfan2
Date: November 11, 2017 04:55PM

Nevermind.

It was time to move to another browser anyway. After years that i used KM and loved it , it is not updated anymore and some sites don't render at all or little (facebook image loop problem etc).

Maybe some time in the future i will return to KM, but until then FAREWELL !

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 11, 2017 06:08PM

KMfan2
Nevermind.

It was time to move to another browser anyway. After years that i used KM and loved it , it is not updated anymore and some sites don't render at all or little (facebook image loop problem etc).

sad smiley

Bye.

But I only can say that I could login and open that bet.forumfree.it page too and I'm with 75.0.

I don't know what could be going wrong on your side

Posted by: J.G.
Date: November 15, 2017 06:01PM

KMfan2
Nevermind.

I am quite sure that you will come back soon with us, or at least you will continue using Kmeleon as secondary browser for something. I surf mostly of the time with Chrome and Firefox ESR with Java/Silverlight/Shockwave/Flash at my job, but sincerely I love online mail browsing and downloading files with Kmeleon, the fastest and reliablest experience ever. And also for long distant WiFi hotspots Kmeleon browser is for me the only browser of choice with no doubt at all. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 06:04PM by J.G..

Date: November 15, 2017 06:17PM

Yogi
As a side note:
Out of curiosity I visited <forumfree.it> with a fantasy UA:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Ikarus/80 Ikarus/80.0 K-Meleon/76.0
Guess what - the site shows up fine.
So it's not the "K-Meleon" string in the UA that causes the problem but the badly outdated " Firefox/38.0"

I left using "Windows NT x.x" just to avoid possible website requirements:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36
I don't know if this is useful or not, it just works. tongue sticking out smiley

Edit: just notice the "rv:38.0"...
It should be removed, shouldn't it? :s

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 06:38PM by J.G..

Date: November 15, 2017 06:52PM

In the above UA, "rv:38.0" refers to the OS and can be real.
"Ikarus/80 Ikarus/80.0" is a fantasy part of the UA. There is no such based client.

It is preferable to use (only if necessary) UAs of Gecko based browsers for Gecko based browsers like KM. It's harder to detect as a fake.

If a site makes use of techniques not implemented in the user's browser, a fake UA can't help either.

Date: November 15, 2017 07:07PM

Yogi
In the above UA, "rv:38.0" refers to the OS and can be real.
"Ikarus/80 Ikarus/80.0" is a fantasy part of the UA. There is no such based (...)(...)

I thought that "rvangry smileyX" was always the same as Firefox/XX, so I meant that the UA should contain "rv:80.0" just because main browser string was /80.0:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:80.0) Ikarus/80.0 K-Meleon/76.0

https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01/03/most-common-user-agents/
:mad:

Date: November 15, 2017 07:43PM

Nope.
The items in the bracket are referring to the OS.
- Example -
UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 K-Meleon/76.0
(Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) = OS
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 K-Meleon/76.0 = client/browser

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 15, 2017 07:55PM

The RV has ALWAYS meant Gecko revision (or render version, I'm not sure about this) a.k.a. Gecko version and since the madness version numbering (that started after Firefox 4 or 5, I can't exactly remember), as Firefox version too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 07:57PM by JohnHell.

Date: November 15, 2017 08:31PM

UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 K-Meleon/76.0

"rv:38.0" in the brackets refers to Win7 x64, the OS I'm actually using.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 15, 2017 09:22PM

No, Yogi, you are wrong - rv:38 is about Gecko engine. And the next parts (outside brackets) show Firefox compatibility and (optional) real name of browser/app (if differs from Firefox).

You know, bracketed part may also contain other variables, like used locale for example.

• Mozilla/5.0 is the general token that says the browser is Mozilla compatible, and is common to almost every browser today.
• platform describes the native platform the browser is running on (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux or Android), and whether or not it's a mobile phone. Firefox OS phones simply say "Mobile"; the web is the platform. Note that platform can consist of multiple "; "-separated tokens. See below for further details and examples.
• rv:geckoversion indicates the release version of Gecko (such as "17.0"). In recent browsers, geckoversion is the same as firefoxversion.
• Gecko/geckotrail indicates that the browser is based on Gecko.
On Desktop, geckotrail is the fixed string "20100101"
• Firefox/firefoxversion indicates the browser is Firefox, and provides the version (such as "17.0").

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 09:32PM by rodocop.

Date: November 15, 2017 09:37PM

I dubblechecked now to be sure.

I thought that what's between the brackets refers to the OS.
This applied to Opera Presto and AppleWebkit but doesn't apply to Gecko and Trident.

Sorry to all of you, I have to admit that I was wrong!

Date: November 19, 2017 06:23PM

J.G.
(...) I left using "Windows NT x.x" just to avoid possible website requirements:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36 I don't know if this is useful or not, it just works. (...)

Nope, the use of Linux useragents on Windows platforms is not useful at all for downloading installation files because it offers the Linux version of them. After some testing, I completely agree @Yogi remark: "It is preferable to use (only if necessary) UAs of Gecko based browsers for Gecko based browsers like KM. It's harder to detect as a fake. If a site makes use of techniques not implemented in the user's browser, a fake UA can't help either." So I have decided to stop using Chrome's fake UA anymore. Thanks @Yogi for such good advice! smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 06:26PM by J.G..

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.