General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Open Popups in a New Tab?
Posted by: clutterless
Date: November 05, 2017 06:19AM

After a quick Google search I found this link about opening K-Meleon popups in a new tab,
instead of a new window.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,136496

JamesD, ticking "In a new Tab" makes sense to me. Tried it, didn't work. It would be nice if
toggling that Popup toolbar button actually worked, but it doesn't.

So many browsers can open popups in a new tab. Having the option of viewing a popup or
closing a tab is the method I prefer.

Maybe it can't be done with K-Meleon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Open Popups in a New Tab?
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 05, 2017 08:11PM

clutterless,
you are mixing up some different things.

1. 'Windows Diversion' settings do manage links forcedly opened in new window (attribute target="_blank" of <a> html-tag or when non-existing name defined as target)

2. Popups - are pages (windows) that open BESIDES those in <a>-tag. They are called by JS or other active methods.

2a) Old popups are blocked by KM. (and Popup toolbar button controls only this type!!!)

2b) many modern popups cannot be stopped by inbuilt popup blocker and they open that way set by their authors. Neither you nor browser can control this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 08:12PM by rodocop.

Posted by: clutterless
Date: November 06, 2017 09:32PM

Thanks rodocop.

I'm using KM75.1. I don't know about other folks, but I keep using K-Meleon because it loads
web pages fast. Also, the design or layout of K-Meleon is extremely friendly. I've tried and
abandoned more browsers than I can remember. Sadly, 75.1 is simply out of date. Many web
pages fail to render properly with this aging browser, so I'm forced to use other browsers.

I tried an RC version several months ago. It had a lot of problems. I don't have the time to
tinker with buggy software. I hope there is a fully stable release soon.

Here is a macro created by siria. It's a very nice script. At first glance I thought it was an
improved popup blocker, but siria says, "And of course the macro merely provides a menu for
already existing Mozilla functions."

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,139836

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 09:37PM by clutterless.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 06, 2017 10:39PM

Why not to try 76 Pro? It has majority of bugs and imperfections of Dorian's RC fixed and a lot of new functions available and options preset.

And yes, siria's macro uses inbuilt hidden mozilla prefs to fine-tune popup handling.

You can block popups fully, but it can break some sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 10:41PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.