General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Da Browser no one controls
Posted by: whatamess
Date: November 12, 2017 02:19AM

If it weren't faster, I would not bother. So many bugs.

what's up with the non functioning download on this forum which redirects your download to "savedeo.com" an un-resolvable address.

after some time searching, hard to say if there is a good version of adblock plus for k-meleon pro. The one that came with it is very lacking. cannot delineate content on the page to filter. no way to upgrade.

K-meleon appears to be a browser that is under development and does not work very well out of the box. you need to be a coder to figure out how to make it work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Da Browser no one controls
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 12, 2017 11:04AM

Hi, Bro!
First, you use K-Meleon Pro custom buils - non-official assembly, which adds number of functions including some experimental or depending of third-party services.

One of them is savedeo (video saving service which is dead now) and it will be replaced in next iteration of my build.

AdBlock Plus for KM lacks some UI options but is fully functional.

And yes, you are right, you'd better have coding skills to support, fix anddevelop. KM is the project with SINGLE developer working on it at his own free time.

No corporation or even team behind KM. So every user is welcome to join the big work of supporting and developing things.

No one will make that except us.

P.S. 10 years ago I started as everyday KM user. 5 years ago I was forced to join the development process and step by step I learned browser and it's techs.
I'm not a coder, even not a technician. But I was able to learn how to make my own custom builds and some 'module stuff' (like extensions and skins) for browser.

If you like KM and need it - you can try walkin in my shоes grinning smiley
Else - it isn't your browser, sure. Or just use it as is. K-Meleon gives you a lot of standard possibilities as well as advanced ones, not available in big top browsers.

Date: November 13, 2017 05:29AM

Hi Rodocop,

Thanks for the reply. I was quite frustrated at not being able to get the adblocker to block ads on pages on the fly, frustrated (until I found your version of KM) by not being able to figure out how to change the user-agent on the standard KM, frustrated by alot of things re the use of this browser.
I did not mean to belittle your hard work. The KM browser is tremendously faster than any of the other browsers out there, including Opera.

The ad block is not much use as it is, until you can block ads on the fly like other adblockers do, at least in my use. Webpages have become more sophisticated in coding in ads that cannot be blocked. The user-agent changer is a big improvement over the standard KM. The Ultrasurf works nice and fast, but does not work in virtual environment testing. But it's a nice feature for privacy.

It's a good browser. I am a lousy coder, so it would be a big time investment for me to learn how to recode it to get the exact features I want. Too bad there are so little plugins available for it. One of these for tor usage alerted F-secure to a trojan within.

I will continue to use it. Also I was unable to find a manual for it that explains how best to modify it, use it, and it's limitations. I wonder how the developers were able to make it so fast.

Also one thing I did not appreciate is the autochanging of windows 7 DNS settings to opendns which censors dns lookups (BAD BAD) on the install of the pro version.

Also none of the outside links on this forum are working because you have that save thingy which fails the dns lookups. YOu have to copy and paste the url into another window after editing out the save (block).

thanks again for your reply and hard work.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 13, 2017 07:37AM

Thanks for you info, quite interesting.
And yes it was an absolute disaster when a few years ago Dorian decided to follow Mozillas lead and remove the useragent macro, which had been part of KM out-of-box for so many years sad smiley sad smiley
Just yesterday even a longtime user left KM mainly because of this!!
On the other hand it would be quite easy to simply copy over the old macro manually from KM1.5.4, except it doesn't contain a separately needed UA-list.
Rodocop, is there perhaps a thread where you published your updated agents list somewhere independently, and could combine it with the traditional UA macro, for the official KM version to use? So that the wiki could simply point there?

As for manuals, did you check the Help menu, or the links on the left side bar here? Yes it's a lot outdated too, sigh, but Help>FAQ is a quite good start and mostly maintained.

Instead of plugins KM has hundreds of macros available, and some more complicated extensions, in the forum part "Extensions". Some years ago a user categorized most of them also on kmext.sf.net, although those got no updates since awhile too, and he never added the matching forum links giving more details, but it's a good start.
Since KM76 there are also a bunch more FF addons that work outofbox, as long as they don't require a GUI except the one on "about:addons", sorry. Macros can only partly fix their menu entries and buttons.

Did you see the Privacy bar to quickly toggle global settings like JS etc.? That eliminates a lot of ads too (along with a lot of page content of course, but often not critical, and single domains can be added to the exception list, with the ExExceptions Addon)

Am not familiar with this dao-download-stuff, but hard to imagine that copy-pasting would be required. Whoa??

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 13, 2017 08:14AM

@whatamess

Personl frustration isn't an excuse to make out of your first post a huge rant. This applies to any existing forum worldwide.
If you have questions or if you encounter problems with K-Meleon you can always ask for help in a mannered tone. Otherwise you can always switch to another browser with a forum where ranting is welcomed.
Also make sure that you post in the right forum if asking for help. Often people post in the sub-forum reserved for bugs whenever something doesn't work for them.

whatamess

Too bad there are so little plugins available for it. One of these for tor usage alerted F-secure to a trojan within.

K-Meleon official builds don't need any plugin to work with Tor.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 13, 2017 09:07AM

siria

Just yesterday even a longtime user left KM mainly because of this!!

Let me disagree on this.
I asked that longtime user if he knows how to change the UserAgent and he responded with "yes". Blaming Dorian or whomever else would be unfair to say the least.

siria
On the other hand it would be quite easy to simply copy over the old macro manually from KM1.5.4, except it doesn't contain a separately needed UA-list.
Rodocop, is there perhaps a thread where you published your updated agents list somewhere independently, and could combine it with the traditional UA macro, for the official KM version to use? So that the wiki could simply point there?

Uploading the UserAgent.kmm with the instruction where to place it, to the Wiki shouldn't be so hard. The same applies to the UserAgent.js.
Updating to actual browser UA-strings shouldn't be a problem even for a sub-sub-average user.
Besides, a huge list with a gazillion of UAs doesn't make it neither better nor more functional...

Date: November 13, 2017 11:09AM

I should reply to TC first:

thank you, comrade, for good words. But I should mark clearly that NO DNS CHANGE is set or intended with KM Pro. There is even no stuff to change this in the box!!!

Where have you downloaded the package?

Posted by: J.G.
Date: November 13, 2017 11:40AM

whatamess
If it weren't faster, I would not bother. So many bugs.

what's up with the non functioning download on this forum which redirects your download to "savedeo.com" an un-resolvable address.

after some time searching, hard to say if there is a good version of adblock plus for k-meleon pro. The one that came with it is very lacking. cannot delineate content on the page to filter. no way to upgrade.

K-meleon appears to be a browser that is under development and does not work very well out of the box. you need to be a coder to figure out how to make it work.

Sincerely, I am astonished on how newbies or trolls can write bad things about Kmeleon with no strong response at all. It's too easy to criticize, and so difficult to help or to give good ideas. :cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 11:45AM by J.G..

Date: November 13, 2017 12:14PM

siria and Yogi,

read please this thread supposing it partly to be my answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 12:14PM by rodocop.

Date: November 13, 2017 02:24PM

Oh JG, if you knew... If you had seen some things in the past, you'd never believe it. And not even just about browser stuff, but personal attacks. Posts furious like crazy and full of hate, for no real reason at all, if it were "Real Life" you'd almost fear for your safety. And not even from newbies, but even among supporters here - completely beyond. More often than not no one ever protested, or nothing seemed to be ever deleted. Instead, just as in Real Life, the more agressive someone is, the more they get treated with respect themselves. Which makes things worse, but obviously most people prefer it that way. All over the world society is going downhill fast, and people electing bloody dictators again, loving them. While the nicer bystanders, in this forum too, know they have no chance anyway and just keep silent. Actually in the past I left this forum for a long while because civilized people couldn't breathe in such a hostile environment, and am sure other members silently left too over time.
At least such stuff happened only rarely, like tornados, and the last years were better. Sure am glad to see some improvement lately, that offenders finally risk actions!
So, just my personal opinion, compared to some other posts in the past THIS one here was rather tame, especially considering it was just a (more or less justified) rant about really frustrating features, and the second post getting civilized again ;-)

Date: November 13, 2017 03:41PM

Oh, siria, have I missed something years ago?

Posted by: J.G.
Date: November 13, 2017 06:59PM

@siria, so sorry about that. sad smiley

"Never underestimate the power of jealousy and the power of envy to destroy." -- Oliver Stone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 07:06PM by J.G..

Date: November 13, 2017 08:44PM

Ah right, and rodocop just reminded me (sorry):
Would you believe that aggressive posters can actually call Dorian an a**hole, if googletranslate is correct, for no other reason as not showing up in the forum for a year and not answering their questions about KM's future? As happened 2x just in the last months, and they are not immediately deleted? I find his silence frustrating too, but such people 100x time more. But at least those did NOT get a nice answer in return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 08:55PM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 13, 2017 09:42PM

siria
Would you believe that aggressive posters can actually call Dorian an a**hole, if googletranslate is correct

OOOhhhh. You meant those!!, yeah, quite aggressive user yes.

I was scratching my head about what messages were so rude, because in english or other languages, besides this thread and that other one, I couldn't remember much public exhibitions of rage like that.

I think he is not around here any more or at least since August.

------OFF-TOPIC------

Date: November 13, 2017 10:00PM

No I meant a few years ago, others. Only later remembered this recent one too. Don't mean to bring up old stuff for discussion, only couldn't resist as hint when JG was shocked about such mild stuff as here ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 10:03PM by siria.

Date: November 13, 2017 11:37PM

rodocop
I should reply to TC first:

thank you, comrade, for good words. But I should mark clearly that NO DNS CHANGE is set or intended with KM Pro. There is even no stuff to change this in the box!!!

Where have you downloaded the package?

Did not record the url I downloaded from but probably from a google search of k-meleon pro download.

All I can tell you is that soon as I started using it, got messages from opendns that ip check sites are forbidden due to opendns filters. I don't know why anyone would use such a dns server as opendns.

I was suprised because I set my dns to other public dns servers long ago.

Could be a windows glitch or virus, but I run f-secure av and it has the highest detection rate of any av program, never found a virus or malware on the system. I did do a re image of windows a while back so could be that. Sorry if I misconstrued the source of the change.

Date: November 13, 2017 11:47PM

Yogi
@whatamess

Personl frustration isn't an excuse to make out of your first post a huge rant. This applies to any existing forum worldwide.
If you have questions or if you encounter problems with K-Meleon you can always ask for help in a mannered tone. Otherwise you can always switch to another browser with a forum where ranting is welcomed.
Also make sure that you post in the right forum if asking for help. Often people post in the sub-forum reserved for bugs whenever something doesn't work for them.

whatamess

Too bad there are so little plugins available for it. One of these for tor usage alerted F-secure to a trojan within.

K-Meleon official builds don't need any plugin to work with Tor.

Hey Yogi *, there were no personal attacks in my post,just criticism of the browser. If you or other * here can't handle that, that's *. And if your one of these keyboard commando moderators who thinks he's a big tough guy because he can press a ban button, go ahead and ban me if you want, I could care less. The internet is a big, big place and I don't need to take cr*p from the likes of you. A professional developer can handle criticism, obviously you are not.

Moderation EDITs: you are now personal attacking. Moderate yourself

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 12:31AM by JohnHell.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:15AM

whatamess,

please stop now. Calm down and please don't use such a lexicon and agressive manner like you do.

There is no developer in this thread. There are only community members doing there best to help users having questions about KM and problems in using it.

But no one of us doesn't owe anyone anything. All we do here is just a portion of goodwill and nothing more.

We love our browser and try to support and develop it how we only can. But nobody here is real developer, producing the core of browser.

And real dev is just a man who spends his FREE time building the browser. There are no corporations, no fat cats, no other backends behind KM development - just pure open-source and a few people in the world making it breath to life.

So - once again - stop you rough speech, please.

After that you will be free to ask any questions and get any POSSIBLE help.

First, if you need to download KM - use links here on forum. KM official builds are all announced in 'Announcements' subforum and all links to my 'Pro'-build are here in my sig.

Welcome and use. It's much better to test, post your questions and requests and get the updated browser (sometime - personally for YOU) than to compete in roughness of the messages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 12:17AM by rodocop.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:33AM

whatamess
Hey Yogi netcop, there were no personal attacks in my post,just criticism of the browser. If you or other sycophants here can't handle that, that's T.S. And if your one of these keyboard commando moderators who thinks he's a big tough guy because he can press a ban button, go ahead and ban me if you want, I could care less. The internet is a big, big place and I don't need to take cr*p from the likes of you. A professional developer can handle criticism, obviously you are not.

There are personal attacks NOW, and huge ones.
And a person with a little minimum of honesty would not reply with such hate speech to someone who was still a LOT more polite than yourself.
As far as I am concerned, your post should be deleted.

Thinking about it, the whole thread is completely useless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 12:43AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.