General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
UserAgent & KM75
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: May 18, 2015 09:39AM

In KM74 it was possible to use a custom UserAgent string.

In KM75 there is only an option for Firefox.

i) Is this reasonable? (I already have to solve this problem ...)
ii) Is there a possibility to set the UserAgrnt string anually?

TIA.
Zvonko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UserAgent & KM75
Posted by: siria
Date: May 18, 2015 10:12AM

i) No, of course not :cool:
ii) No prob if you know how.
Actually it still works as before, based on gecko prefs, only the interface is gone, because the macro was removed. Copy over the one you used in KM74 (useragents.kmm in macros folder). The slightly harder part is to copy over the list. The ones you created manually should be in your profile in prefs.js
If you copied over your profile, that list should actually still be there.
Or you have parts of the list in a separate file, check the files in K-M/browser/defaults/preferences

Thinking about it, there exist actually two alternative macro versions now, one can remember on which sites you used another UA. It's somewhere in the forum...

If it's too complicated for the moment and just need a quick and dirty solution, type about:config into the adress bar and fill this pref:
general.useragent.override

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 10:15AM by siria.

Posted by: Zvonko
Date: May 18, 2015 12:44PM

No, it is not too complicated at all. I just forgot that this option is a result of a macro. With the old macro useragent.com the option is available again.

Thank you very much for your (as usually) fast and helpful information, siria!

However, I see now that there is a limitation associated with custom useragent in KM.

I would like to use a official (government) website which requires a chipcard identification, and which according to the provider of the site requires IE; Firefox is not supported. However, the IE useragent string doesn't help in this case.

So this seems to be a situation where I am forced again to use IE as additional browser (which I was trying to avoid) ...

Annoying ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 01:23PM by Zvonko.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 18, 2015 04:42PM

Yeah some website authors use very specific code, in that case a mere name-tag change doesn't help of course. Luckily the big majority of authors just willfully shut out people without any technical reason, just to force them to use another or more bloated browser, so in most cases a fake useragent helps.

But look at the (hopefully) bright side: if you use the occasion to also define a mailto-application in IE, that setting may start showing up in KM prefs too :cool:

At least that's what someone else discovered lately - unless it was just coincidence? There were already several mailto-threads in the last months, looks rather complicated to me, some workaround is definitely needed. Therefore would be curious to know if it really helps to just define it in IE?

Ah yes, look if there's a file "mimetypes.rdf" in your current profile folder, it should hold the custom file types that were changed in that profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 04:44PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.