General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
YouTube Error - Try again later [HOWTO]
Posted by: jobedyaux
Date: December 01, 2017 07:22PM

When I try to play video on YouTube in browser K-Meleon, it stops on loading and says: "An error occured. Please try again later. Playback ID: ...". In Chrome YouTube works perfectly fine. What should I do?

(edit: better title)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 09:20AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: YouTube Error
Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 02, 2017 08:12AM

YouTube works fine in K-Meleon. Otherwise we would witness a myriad of complains here in the forum.
Would you mind disclosing the link for the video that doesn't play so one can check?

Posted by: siria
Date: December 02, 2017 08:24AM

Just one of many possible reasons:
4td8s
the built-in flashblock for KM does interfere with & prevent html5 based youtube videos from playing. I had to disable flashblock from the KM content filters section (adding the YT sites in the whitelist for flashblock doesn't work either) in order to actually watch html5 videos from Youtube.

Date: December 02, 2017 09:00AM

I have flashblock disabled myself because it interferes with html5 videos (sound but no video).
However flashblock shouldn't give the error message mentioned by the thread opener.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 02, 2017 10:41AM

I have such messages some time in KM 75. Not Flashblock related sure.

Some config issue (useragent, prefs?)

Date: December 02, 2017 12:48PM

Now memory is slowly kicking in again...
In old KM1.6 I had exactly that message always for about a year. Only chance to still see videos was opening them standalone. Then just days before yt killed flash completely, someone posted a setting here in the forum that fixed it! Now not quite sure anymore which one it was...

Perhaps this one?
"plugin.load_flash_only" was true, KM1.6 needed it false for yt.
Although Yogi then replied this couldn't be, but at any rate can't harm testing it.
ATTENTION: this is the very special pref that BLOCKS or ACTIVATES the old NPAPI-Plugins again, that Mozilla intentionally blocked since FF52!
"false" makes that not only Flash is active, but also Java and other plugins are reactivated!
At any rate - IMO just toggling it for a quick youtube-test can't harm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 01:08PM by siria.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 02, 2017 06:08PM

Found that in my case the most possible reason of the problem was pref

media.fragmented-mp4.exposed

set to true. After being toggled to false those videos that gave an error earlier begin to play well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 06:18PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Zvonko
Date: December 06, 2017 08:51AM

Yes!!!
In my case
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed = false
solved the problem!

(But it is frustrating.
Who or what changes such a setting--or another setting--somewhere in the background and causes such problems?
And: On my other computer the value is set to true, an there are no Yotube problems...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 09:01AM by Zvonko.

Re: YouTube Error - Try again later [HOWTO]
Date: December 06, 2017 09:30AM

Glad that rodocops tip helped, and thanks for reporting back that it does smiling smiley

For media playback Mozilla has created so countless prefs and settings, and combinations with yet other prefs, it's just a jungle now. And of course sites like youtube also contribute to the mess, continuously changing their own requirements. Gruesome.

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 06, 2017 09:42AM

rodocop
Found that in my case the most possible reason of the problem was pref

media.fragmented-mp4.exposed

set to true. After being toggled to false those videos that gave an error earlier begin to play well.

For me it works only if I block Flashblock. Otherwise, it wont work.

Well, after several years I can once again watch Youtube videos on Km ... grinning smiley

Date: December 06, 2017 10:31AM

Zvonko
Who or what changes such a setting--or another setting--somewhere in the background and causes such problems?
Nobody, nothing.
As mentioned by Rodocop and as you could see on your own installs, the default value is true.

Zvonko
And: On my other computer the value is set to true, an there are no Yotube problems...
As you have noticed the default value works with YT on your other computer.
So it works for most people (btw, for me too).

The reason it doesn't work on all computers might be hardware related.
BTW, in more recent Firefox ESR the above pref was removed being replaced by other prefs.

siria
For media playback Mozilla has created so countless prefs and settings, and combinations with yet other prefs, it's just a jungle now. And of course sites like youtube also contribute to the mess, continuously changing their own requirements. Gruesome.

Blame YouTube/Google.
Browser vendors have no other choice but to make their browser working with YouTube (as with other services owned by Google as well) and follow the guidelines enforced by Google.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 12, 2017 06:00AM

Zvonko
Yes!!!
In my case
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed = false
solved the problem!

(But it is frustrating.
And: On my other computer the value is set to true, an there are no Yotube problems...)

for me it was media.fragmented-mp4.enabled, not media.fragmented-mp4.exposed that was somehow set to false instead of true. weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 06:02AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: Hugo
Date: October 02, 2020 04:01AM

AMIGOS:
HE PODIDO VER VIDEOS EN YOUTUBE, VIENDO ALGUNAS MODIFICACIONES EN EL FORO, LOGRÉ ACTIVAR K-MELEON PARA VIDEOS EN YOUTUBE...
EN EL ZIP, TAMBIEN LES DEJO LAS MODIFICACIONES Y RECOMENDACIONES....
media.mediasource.enabled;true (= default setting)
media.mediasource.mp4.enabled;true (= default setting)
media.mediasource.webm.enabled;true (default setting = false)

media.webm.intel_decoder.enabled;true (default setting = false)

EDITED by moderation: link removed by privacy purposes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2020 06:24PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.