Downloads Problem
Posted by: callahan
Date: December 10, 2017 06:48PM

Using KM 76 Pro and it was working for downloading files but now I have no idea where the downloads are going.

I have all the boxes checked under File Handling:

X Offer to save the file

X Ask whether to open or save the file

X Ask where to save the file

The last checked or 'dot' is there but the window no longer pops up for me to pick a folder. It was working but now the files seem to download but I have no idea where they are loading.

I have NetPerSec working and can see the files are downloading somewhere. I've looked in the KM 76 Pro folder and have done a search on the C drive but I am not able to locate them.

I have a special 'Downloads' folder that I place all my downloads into but I can't get to that step anymore.

Any ideas ... ? thanks

Re: Downloads Problem
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 10, 2017 06:56PM

there is about:downloads page to view those completed and view them in folder.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 10, 2017 07:28PM

Sometimes a look into about:config page helps to finding things quickly.
Perhaps filter for "download" or "save", if anything looks suspicious?

Date: December 10, 2017 08:14PM

every time you are faced with such a kind of strange problems, first try create new profile and check the difference to exclude wrong prefs influence or something like this

Date: December 10, 2017 08:52PM

Hi ... yes I had already looked in the 'about:downloads' page ... it is empty. It's strange that I have all the boxes properly checked and I'm sure it had worked before.

I will ... as your suggestion, create new profile and see what happens.

siria ... yes I will look in the 'about:config page' more often. I had mostly been using KM 75 but I like what rodocop did in KM 76 Pro ... with the 'Pro' tab at the top, making it easy to do that.

I can still use KM 1.8 or New Moon to download if I can't get this working again in KM 76 Pro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 08:52PM by callahan.

Date: December 10, 2017 09:04PM

callahan
I have all the boxes checked under File Handling:
X Offer to save the file
X Ask whether to open or save the file
X Ask where to save the file

That's not all. In fact, the usual suspect for exactly this prob is at the bottom: "Save as option". That must be UNchecked.

Date: December 10, 2017 09:13PM

siria ... thank you so much ...

"That's not all. In fact, the usual suspect for exactly this prob is at the bottom: "Save as option". That must be UNchecked."

That fixed it and it works as it always did. Somehow that box got unchecked.

Well, life back to normal. Glad I posted this problem, it could have been 'years' before I figured that out.

... Wait a minute ... the box was 'unchecked' but then I put a check in the box and it now works. Are you sure it is supposed to be 'unchecked'? ... it works for me with the box checked.

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 09:19PM by callahan.

Date: December 10, 2017 10:27PM

Well ... the so called fix lasted about 30 minutes. The downloads are going somewhere on my C drive and I have no clue where the download is.

Checked or unchecked ... the fix is gone, no box pops up so I can select what folder to put the download in. It actually worked for about 30 minutes.

I am not going to fool with it anymore ... I will use other browsers to download any files or programs that I need.

Thanks for the help.

Date: December 10, 2017 10:52PM

Callahan, very sorry for your trouble sad smiley But am sure you can fix this permanently if you want. This is 100% some custom macro doing this. Toggling that pref is sometimes used in macros as a workaround to save something in a defined folder without having to pop up each time an annyoing save-box. Then it's supposed to be toggled back automatically too - but unfortunately that "automatic" stuff is often prone to accidents sad smiley Therefore am trying to avoid this dangerous 'workaround' whenever possible myself - well, if possible...

That pref is called "kmeleon.download.useSaveDir"

Which macro uses it, you can figure out in the windows file explorer: do a search for text inside the macros folder.

PS: and the folder where it dumps the downloads silently, can be seen in about:config (filter for "download" and "save")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 10:57PM by siria.

Date: December 10, 2017 11:49PM

siria ... I thank you for the additional information. I will continue to work with the browser and see if I can get it fixed.

Everything else is working fine with KM 76 Pro so this one problem I can live with.

callahan

Date: December 12, 2017 12:27PM

OK ... I just made a discovery in the last 30 minutes with my download problem. I'm wondering if someone can shed any light or inform me why a certain file does not allow me to choose the correct folder to place the download in.

I just did two other downloads and everything went as it should, the Downloads folder pops up and then I pick the folder where I want the download. It works as it always has ... it is just this one download at MSFN ... that also happens to be the latest New Moon download by roytam1.

I am thinking his other downloads also did not cownload correctly for me witn KM 76 Pro ... the download is going somewhere on my computer and I can never locate it when finished.

I am going to post all the links to the two downloads that just worked as always and the download link to the last download link of New Moon that never works for me with KM 76 Pro but does work with KM 1.8 and New Moon. The Downloads folder will pop up and I can select the proper folder with those two browsers.

The OK downloads:

http://wincontig.mdtzone.it/en/index.htm

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/contig

now the last roytami New Moon 32 bit update download from Page 19 at MSFN.

New Build!

32bit https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-27.7.0a2.win32-git-20171209-574d41691-xpmod.7z

32bit noSSE https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-27.7.0a2.win32-git-20171209-574d41691-xpmod-ia32.7z

64bit https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-27.7.0a2.win64-git-20171209-574d41691-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- HTML - details/summary - correct the universal selector for summary to include all namespaces (tests) (f70017bae)
- HTML - details/summary - debug mode - assertion failure: !summary || !summary->IsMainSummary() (627db7c49)
-------------------------------------------

I am wondering if someone also using KM 76 Pro can try the very first 32bit download under the words 'New Build' and see if it downloads OK for them.

Is it because it's a '7z' download that I might be having a problem? I wouldn't think so but I don't know.

So it seems that KM 76 Pro is OK after all for downloading files ... just not this one type file.

My other browsers will also download the roytam1 file just fine.

callahan

Date: December 12, 2017 01:15PM

Have tried with different builds including Pro - with full success every time.

Date: December 12, 2017 03:16PM

callahan
Is it because it's a '7z' download that I might be having a problem? I wouldn't think so but I don't know.

This would be easy to test, just look into the Extensions part of the forum, there are 7z attachments.
Then look in "about:config" page and filter for "save" or "download" to find the last folder path.

Did you identify the macro file that contained the "useSaveDir" pref?

Another possibility: do you use a download manager tool??

Date: December 12, 2017 04:53PM

Thanks rodocop for the download information.

siria ... no I do not use a download manager tool ... just click on download links at web pages.

I did not identify the macro file that contained the "useSaveDir" pref ... yet. I hadn't been downloading anything till today when I decided to try those two downloads with KM 76 Pro and they worked and then tried the roytam1 download again at MSFN and it didn't work.

I've got the information you posted and will try to find it in the few days.

I guess if all other downloads work OK then it will not be such a problem to have one download that doesn't. I would still like to research and find the reason for this.

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 04:54PM by callahan.

Date: December 12, 2017 04:55PM

Try to reinstall 7z in your OS. Use latest build from 7-zip.org

Date: December 13, 2017 01:50PM

OK ... I have solved the download problem. At least now all the downloads are visible. I guess if the fix is still working a week from now, then it is truly fixed or sovled.

siria ... giving me this clue as to where to start looking.

"Then look in "about:config" page and filter for "save" or "download" ...

After trying a few different settings ... this fixed it.

I changed this setting from 'false' to 'true' and all downloads are now visible and 'easily' found in the "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Downloads".

browser.download.useDownloadDir; -- true

I guess ... problem solved for now ... if still working OK after two weeks then 100% OK.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and ideas to fix this.

callahan

Date: December 14, 2017 01:57AM

Hmm, but the prob is, whatever macro function toggles the culprit-pref secretly, can hit again when you use it next time.
Here's a better way:

Edit > Configuration > User Settings
(opens user.js in your profile folder)

At the bottom copy one of those lines:

user_pref("kmeleon.download.useSaveDir", false);
lock_pref("kmeleon.download.useSaveDir", false);

What this great file does:
At every browser start KM is RESET to those settings.
The "user_prefs" can be changed during a session by macros or manually in about:config, if need be. But only until next browser start.
So, when you run into a download prob during a session, just try restarting the browser.
While the "lock_prefs" make that those are really set in stone! No chance to change them even temporarily during a session, not by macros nor yourself.

Date: December 14, 2017 07:47AM

Thanks for the additional information ... I like that fix as you describe it. I always need all the steps on how to proceed, so thanks for that.

Now here is something interesting, last evening I decided to change that one setting back to 'false' and all the downloads were still downloading OK. I have not tried them today yet.

I will just leave that setting as it originally was (false) and will apply your fix.

... I have an additional question. In the KM 76 Pro Profile folder there is a folder named 'cache2' that really has a lot of items in the 'entries' folder.

There are three items in the cache2 folder: 'doomed' - entries - index.

My question is, should the cache2 folder be cleaned out every so often, especially the 'entries' folder?

What exactly is the 'cache2' folder?

callahan

Date: December 14, 2017 09:07AM

Have applied what you posted earlier.

Edit > Configuration > User Settings

Does this look correct ???

/* ----- DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE ------------------------------------------------
*/
user_pref("kmeleon.download.useSaveDir", false);

I am not sure about that second line with the: */

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 09:07AM by callahan.

Posted by: roytam1
Date: December 14, 2017 09:15AM

callahan
Thanks for the additional information ... I like that fix as you describe it. I always need all the steps on how to proceed, so thanks for that.

Now here is something interesting, last evening I decided to change that one setting back to 'false' and all the downloads were still downloading OK. I have not tried them today yet.

I will just leave that setting as it originally was (false) and will apply your fix.

... I have an additional question. In the KM 76 Pro Profile folder there is a folder named 'cache2' that really has a lot of items in the 'entries' folder.

There are three items in the cache2 folder: 'doomed' - entries - index.

My question is, should the cache2 folder be cleaned out every so often, especially the 'entries' folder?

What exactly is the 'cache2' folder?

callahan

cache2 is the new "Cache" folder.

Date: December 14, 2017 11:57AM

Thanks roytam1 for the cache2 information. I guess I still have one question about that folder ... should all those items in the 'entries' folder be cleaned out (deleted) every so often or just let everything alone inside the 'cache2' folder.

I was wondering if everything was deleted in the 'cache2' folder (cleaned out) ... would everything just be created again for a fresh start?

I was thinking earlier if part of my download problem might be connected with the cache2 folder in some way ... with it having all those entries?

Date: December 15, 2017 10:36AM

Made some new discoveries and changes today. Many thing are more clear and now make better sense to me.

First, probably my main mistake was trying to combine the newer roytam1 KM 76 version with the KM 76 Pro version by rodocop. I didn't want to lose my settings, mainly the Klassic skin setup and a few others.

That's why I was confused about the cache2 folder ... since I was also seeing a 'Cache' folder.

After roytam1 explained that the 'cache2' was the 'new' cache folder ... I decided to abandon trying to merge these two versions of KM 76 and only work with the newer roytam1 version.

I did carry over the Klassic skin folder and that made everything look more normal to me. I have done additional settings and everything seems to be just fine.

Using the KM 1.8.24 useragent macro (useragent.kmm), I have added my four User Agents into 'about:config' ... so that's good to go.

The download problem doesn't seem to be showing up ... all downloads are going where I want them to go.

To sum it all up ... trying to merge two complete KM 76 versions was probably not a good idea on my part. A few items can probably be brought over without too much trouble ... like the 'skins' folder ... but it may be better to do more settings again as 'new' and then save everything in steps as you make more changes and adjustments.

Have a very good KM 76 setup as of today. It would be nice if the additional top 'Pro' tab from rodocop's version could be brought into the newer KM 76 version ... in the future as a newer version becomes more 'final'.

It's nice having all those 'about: pages' available and in one place.

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 07:10PM by callahan.

Date: December 15, 2017 05:29PM

I will definitely prepare Pro-build on top of Goanna-KM. Just wait ;-)

Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 15, 2017 07:48PM

rodocop
I will definitely prepare Pro-build on top of Goanna-KM. Just wait ;-)

Any idea about the release date? smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2017 11:26PM

I want to hope than not later than January.

I want make Christmas present but more probably it will be New Year one.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 16, 2017 02:27AM

rodocop
I want to hope than not later than January.

I want make Christmas present but more probably it will be New Year one.

Here waiting with impatience to enjoy it, great thanks!
grinning smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.