K-Meleon questions
Posted by: Ryan Farmer
Date: November 16, 2001 10:02PM

OK, I'm sorta new to this, so I need a few questions answered before I'll check out K-Meleon.

1. Does it render pages correctly?

2. Is it faster than Internet Explorer 5.5?

I know it has to be faster than Mozilla anyway, cause everything is smiling smiley

3. Does it correctly support JAVA and flash, and if I someday decide to remove K-Meleon for whatever reason, will I still have flash files for Netscape littering my hard disk?

NOTE: I already have SUN JAVA 1.3.1 since I just installed Internet explorer without the MS JAVA machine on my Revenge of Mozilla Windows 98 installation, I decided that however insecure JAVA is, MS probably made it 10 times worse in their VM. tongue sticking out smiley

4. Is it logically designed (interface that is)?

I tried Opera and it's getting more bloated and confusing by the minute, so if K-Meleon kicks Opera's arse on a few fronts, I'll make the switch.

Thanks in advance.

Re: K-Meleon questions
Posted by: Ryan
Date: November 16, 2001 10:06PM

Oh yes, and out of curiousity, what Mozilla build is K-Meleon based on?

And can I use Outlook Express for mailto: links in K-Meleon?

Posted by: rob
Date: November 16, 2001 11:07PM

Enter "about:" into K-Meleon's URL bar and you will know what exact version of Mozilla/Gecko K-Meleon is built on. But, if you are afraid installing K-M at all, you will propably never know it...

rob.

Posted by: po
Date: November 16, 2001 11:25PM

outlook express via 'mailto:' seems to work.

interface is highly configurable, so you should be able to adjust it to whatever your idea of logical is.
it seems about on par with IE5.5 on my system, speed-wise... it depends on what it's doing, to some degree.

it renders pages about the same as mozilla, i would guess.

i don't use java or flash, so i couldn't tell ya about those.

my two cents.

--- po

Posted by: Myen
Date: November 17, 2001 08:44AM

As far as I can tell, it's fast enough; the first window takes a bit longer to load (since IE has all that preloaded, and I don't have K-Meleon set to do so -- you can though), but otherwise about as fast. Havn't really stressed either browser though.

Flash works, havn't tried Java yet. Just get the official installer and tell it to install into K-Meleon's .\plugins when it asks for a plugin path. There's some links on the bottom of the Resources page. Java should work as well (get the newest version though, IIRC)

The UI is more or less standard -- I believe the developers tried to model after IE or something -- menus, standard toolbar, address bar, Links toolbar (all but menu optional); context-sensitve right-click menus. No sidebar / explorer bar though. Basically the same as IE, but with a Mozilla heart smiling smiley

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: November 18, 2001 06:55PM

I just downloaded 0.6.
I can use my Java Sun 1.3.1 with it.
I can use flash, those sites load correctly.
It is much quicker then Mozilla 0.9.5.
I have no experience yet with the interface, but as far as I understand, it's configurable.

Bernard

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.