General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to set the Homepage button to open multiple locations when clicked?
Posted by: Rain
Date: December 20, 2017 11:25PM

I have 9 sites that i frequently visit and want to open them all with one click (Homepage button) just like in SeaMonkey. Can i do that in KM?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 11:26PM by Rain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to set the Homepage button to open multiple locations when clicked?
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 21, 2017 02:22AM

You can use Groups extensions to get this.

There is an option 'Start with group' (yous should previously save your set of sites as group)

Posted by: siria
Date: December 21, 2017 03:11AM

Or try the attached little macro?
Drop it into the macros folder and restart.
Then right-click the Home button and click "MultiHome" to enable the function.
Afterwards every time the Home button is clicked it will open all pages in a bookmarks folder which has the Nick "multihome".

UPDATE: version 2 exchanged below:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 03:53PM by siria.

Attachments: multihome.kmm (3.1 KB)  
Posted by: Please fill in the author field.
Date: December 21, 2017 09:15AM

Rain
I have 9 sites that i frequently visit and want to open them all with one click (Homepage button) just like in SeaMonkey. Can i do that in KM?

Create a session and set that as home page.
Right click on home page button to set.

p.s. most buttons and some menus release a little Easter egg on right click. :drool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 09:22AM by guenter.

Date: December 21, 2017 10:08AM

@rodocop

I hate extensions. I don't want to sacrifice more ram. I only need this since KM does not have an "open all bookmarks" (from folder) option. My computer is already old and slow as it is. The only extension i have ever used was Poper Blocker in Iron, navigation without it is a living hell.

@siria

But where exactly can i change the "about:blank#multihome" homepage with that macro? The default in F2 > Settings remained unchanged. And i'm really new to this "manual interface setting". I've tried it but only opened 1 of the nine pages (focused/last used one)

@Please fill in the author field.

I was already aware of that mate, but when KM starts i want it to open a blank page for a fast startup and only open my pages at will when the home button is pressed. (as i mentioned i only use them ocasionally)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 10:10AM by Rain.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 21, 2017 10:28AM

Rain
@rodocop

I hate extensions. I don't want to sacrifice more ram. I only need this since KM does not have an "open all bookmarks" (from folder) option. My computer is already old and slow as it is. The only extension i have ever used was Poper Blocker in Iron, navigation without it is a living hell.

Well, maybe just stop your inner hater?

You haven't got this: KM-extensions (aka macros) do not eat additional RAM. They are just plain text scripts that add some functions to browser.

FF+60 addons - it's very heavy and RAM loaded.

KM+60 extensions - is as lightweight as bare build ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 10:28AM by rodocop.

Re: How to set the Homepage button... / kmextensions-folder (Howto)
Date: December 21, 2017 01:38PM

Tsss.... come on, too little sleep anyone? :cool:
(me sure, LOL!)

All suggested possibilities are valid and useful.
And that rodocop called the Groups2 macro an "extension" ist just because everything that "extends" the out-of-box KM-functions is an "extension". XPI-addons and kmm-macros and everything. We're just often tossing everything into the same pot wordwise.

My tip is, before installing anything to look inside a 7z which files it really contains.
Just don't be confused by that "kmextensions" folder. Actually this one has zero function for the browser itself! It does not contain any code. It's just a common place to collect tiny text (ini) files with a 1-line description and a 7z-file-list, if an author decides to add this. Purely optional, and purely as convenience for (especially non-expert) users. So, just the existence of this ini-file in a 7z says nothing about the type of extension (10-line macro? giant FF-addon?)

The one thing which actually needs those ini-files, is yet another extension: The "Extensions Manager". Which is -you guessed it- purely optional too ;-) It just makes handling and overview a bit easier. Provided the macro author has added such a little ini-file of course.
But the installation process itself in KM, of nearly all macros/extensions, is to simply drop their files into the matching folders and restart the brower. And Un-Installation is to remove those files again out of those folders, for example using the Windows file explorer. No "Manager" really needed.
Just remember to manually delete the "startupCache" in your Profile folder after changes, when using modern KM7X-versions and noticing any glitches. Especially the newest KM77-Goanna seems extremely touchy with that startupCache thing. (In old KM1.X version the equivalent are the 2 *.dat files in the components folder, but not for simple macros, only for complicated jar-extensions)

Date: December 21, 2017 01:53PM

Rain
I only need this since KM does not have an "open all bookmarks" (from folder) option.
(....)
But where exactly can i change the "about:blank#multihome" homepage with that macro? The default in F2 > Settings remained unchanged.
(....)
when KM starts i want it to open a blank page for a fast startup and only open my pages at will when the home button is pressed. (as i mentioned i only use them ocasionally)

Just basic info, you CAN open all bookmarks in a folder, provided you've given it a "Nick" name. Right-click a folder in the editor and look at the fields below. Later you can then type this Nick (can be just 1-2 characters) into the URLBar and hit Enter. All links in that folder will pop open.

Actually this function is exactly what my macro tries to use too! (except when there's only 1 tab open, it's a little buggy yet, or rather KM itself, sigh)

siria
Drop it into the macros folder and restart.
Then right-click the Home button and click "MultiHome" to enable the function.
Afterwards every time the Home button is clicked it will open all pages in a bookmarks folder which has the Nick "multihome".

My one prob is that you want to have it on the HOME button itself. And this one is created in toolbars.cfg. You could easily edit that yourself and exchange the native ID.. function with a macro command, but then it will forget which icon it shall use, etc. sigh. Will have to do more research if a macro can do that more automatically, but a bit short on time at the moment. Stay tuned...

Date: December 21, 2017 03:54PM

UPDATE to macro "multihome" now version 2
Have exchanged the file in my first posting above (bugfix)

Date: December 27, 2017 05:28PM

rodocop
You can use Groups extensions to get this.

There is an option 'Start with group' (yous should previously save your set of sites as group)

Okay, i copied groups2.kmm in macros but where am i supose to put groups2.ini? I copied the file in kmextensions & browser > extensions but to no effect.

I also copied the kmextensions folder in the KM folder just in case, still no change.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 27, 2017 06:17PM

@ Rain

Groups2 is a simple macro named Groups2.kmm. All you need to do is extract the Groups2.kmm file to either KM root/macros folder or the macros folder within your profile. If you have more than a single profile, it is better to put it in KM root/macros.

The Groups2,7z file should be extracted to KM root folder. That puts the macro named Groups2.kmm into KM root/macros and the ini file into KM root/kmextensions folder. The ini file can be read by an extensions manager program.

If, like me, you do not plan to use extension which have parts other than kmm macro file, simply extract the kmm file to the folder named macros and restart KM.

For my sins, I wrote Groups2 with help from Desga2. I had the concept and Desga2 did the fancy menu stuff.

EDIT: Groups2 shows on the menu toolbar !Important and other context menus.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 06:25PM by JamesD.

Date: December 27, 2017 07:26PM

JamesD
Groups2 shows on the menu toolbar !Important and other context menus.

Now it makes sense why i couldn't see it, I've hidden the Menus Bar to save viewing space. Is there another way to access this if the menu bar is hidden?

Thanks for this James!

Date: December 28, 2017 02:35AM

Rain
Is there another way to access this if the menu bar is hidden?

Yikes, No. Not yet. Since 2010 no one has asked for this, I think.

I am working on that now, but the hour is late and I am 76 year old. Looks to be tomorrow for me to finish.

I just love it when suddenly the answer pops into my mind. 1-true, but TRUE is not equal to 1.

Please try the updated Groups2.kmm file attached. Press the SHIFT + RETURN keys together to obtain the menu for Groups2.

Please report any problems in this thread.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Attachments: groups2upd.7z (6.8 KB)  
Date: December 28, 2017 09:51AM

Return button? That's enter right? I've tried both Shift + Enter and Shift + Backspace but it only brings up the search querry instead.

In the mean time i was able to keep the menu bar and not lose viewing space, so a hotkey combination isn't as necesary anymore.

76 years old ey? That's a lot of birthdays! Hope you'll catch more smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2017 12:47PM

@ Rain

I think the problem is that your cursor cannot be in a entry field when you press SHIFT and while holding that key down also press RETURN.

It nearly drove me crazy when I began testing the change. K-Meleon starts with the cursor in a text entry field. Place your cursor outside that field and left click, then use the SHIFT + RETURN.

I should have explained about that before. Thanks for being a code tester for me.

Also for other users, KM 75.0 or later is required for popupmenu statement to work.

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.