General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Problems with user agents in K-Meleon 1.8.24
Posted by: Jennifer
Date: December 13, 2015 10:51AM

I am using K-Meleon 1.8.24 because it is lighter than 74/75/76 Beta but it still has a reasonably modern browser engine.

It works well enough for most purposes. I can't find any extensions for it, but I try to make do. However, the user agent function is pretty important for me, and I am having problems with it.

* The browser comes with four preset user agent options in Tools -> User Agent. When I change the user agent, it does not apply to other tabs (preexisting or new), only for the current tab. I would like to change this so that changing the user agent remains in effect for all tabs until I manually change it again.
* I would like to add more user agent options.

Please help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with user agents in K-Meleon 1.8.24
Posted by: callahan
Date: December 13, 2015 12:33PM

I'm still using KM v1.8.24 and am not having that problem, if I understand your question correctly.

I have a UA for FF 31 Windows 7 and FF 31 Windows XP ... I mostly use the Windows 7 user agent and all the open tabs reflect that.

Maybe some settings got changed. Under the topic "Development" there was a discussion thread on the KM 1.8.24 version ... I remember you were posting there also with questions ... I got help from several people with making the UA work. I can't find that thread ... I think it was from last year started by adodupan.

There might have been some help there but the thread seems to be gone.

Yes, the KM 1.8.24 version still works OK for me also.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 06:07PM by callahan.

Posted by: callahan
Date: December 13, 2015 12:47PM

That topic had a "name change" sort of ... maybe there is an answer or help in there somewhere ... there are only six pages total.

New title ... Some moderator should remove 'sticky'

Old title ... K-Meleon 1.8.0 Development

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,126206

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 06:05PM by callahan.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 13, 2015 01:04PM

As far as I remember that's a special *feature* in KM1.8:
it remembers what UA the user set on which domain, and will remember it for the future.

To use only *global* toggles like in old KM-version, it should help to just exchange the macro "useragents.kmm" in the macros folder with the one from KM1.6 (still downloadable on the "Download" page)
Would first rename the original one to e.g. "useragents_ori_by_site__kmm" or whatever, in case you want it back later.

For an UA-list the best would be to collect your own choices together in a separate file and put it into folder KM/browser/defaults/preferences. Am using an extra file too long since, will perhaps post it, but am afraid my list is slightly outdated, would have to throw out a gazillion of KM1.5/1.6/1.7 variations first ;-)

Jennifer
I can't find any extensions for it, but I try to make do.

As far as I remember this 1.8 version is a parallel fork of KM74, so almost all macros for KM74 should work for it too!

Important to know, in general K-Meleon macros/extensions do not have any automatic version checks like FF-addons, except very few exceptions. So most older KM-macros will run in all versions from 1.5.4 or newer, except in KM1.7 which is hopelessly buggy, or occasional bugs in new development versions.
Problematic are only adapted FF-addons, but you can only try and see if it works or not.

Tons of mostly older macros can be found at kmext.sf.net, but the archive hasn't been updated in a while. Don't mind if that one lists nearly all extensions valid only for old KM-versions: that only means no one has tested them yet on newer versions, but most will still run anyway!
A part of them additionally needs to adjust the prefs-path inside, which is easy, or other tiny things (resource path), only a few will absolutely not work in KM74/1.8

The newest macros and lots that aren't posted anywhere else are always here in the Forum
, in subforum for "Extensions".
==> Some of the NEWER macros may only run with the newest KM-version though, because macrolanguage was improved and can now use more commands. But again, just try and see.

Just download the 7z-files and store them somewhere for backup, then extract them into the KM-Folder and start the browser. If they do not work, uninstall again by looking inside your backup which files it contained and delete those (do NOT delete FOLDERS, only files!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 01:16PM by siria.

Posted by: adodupan
Date: December 16, 2015 06:49AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 12:22PM by adodupan.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.