General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon, RTSP & YT - oh my !?!
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: April 27, 2018 11:54PM

I use & really enjoy Rodocop's KM 75.1 Pro in my XP/SP2 VM.

Lately YT has gotten quite strange.

Its latest oddity is that now it morphs all YT URLs to m.youtube.com...

Yes, I know that HTML5 is problematic - but before today at least many videos would play - but now if I try them I get "...rtsp is not a registered protocol..."

Example result link:
rtsp://r4---sn-vgqsrne6.googlevideo.com/Cj0LENy73wIaNAkaFNhM5W3tIBMYDSANFC0sseNaMOCoAUIASARgt4iOkPXzh6lXigELWEt0MFY1dURpZzgM/A1A46D7FDF00077B9D9A32BD6342F659DB6F133F.A13FDD4015EDC7A906F09BBF2C03AAD6CC7FABD3/yt6/1/video.3gp

So I looked around a bit and found this:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-view-rtsp-in-firefox
Which seemed similar enough to be worthy of attention, but to do it I would need to add a local path to a media player - which I do not know how to do.
If I go ahead and add the string/key network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp - how would I point that at a local (URL ??) for VLC.EXE ??
(The example is for realplayer...)

I also found references to changing the UA to Opera 12, I remain unclear about whether it is a working solution as I have UA Switcher & when I choose Opera 12 nothing changes...?

So I thought that maybe I don't know how to PROPERLY change the UA in this version, I searched here in the forum and found:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,143143

Is it just instant, such that a page reload or fresh page load should do it ??

Any helpful replies (aside of telling me to change my OS, of course...) will be hugely appreciated !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon, RTSP & YT - oh my !?! (youtube, useragents)
Posted by: siria
Date: April 28, 2018 01:25AM

Useragents / KM-Pro:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,145928

PS: googling around a bit, there seem no recent hits for that prob, but old ones say the culprit was a stored google youtube cookie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 11:13PM by siria.

Re: K-Meleon, RTSP & YT - oh my !?!
Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 28, 2018 10:02AM

smallhagrid
I use & really enjoy Rodocop's KM 75.1 Pro in my XP/SP2 VM.

Lately YT has gotten quite strange.

Its latest oddity is that now it morphs all YT URLs to m.youtube.com...

Neither would that make sense nor can I confirm it. Making some searches for YT clips, none of the links I got, were morphed to m.youtube.com...

I might be wrong but maybe something in your KM 75.1 Pro got screwed up.

Date: April 29, 2018 09:17PM

Thanks for replying to my plea for help Folks !!!
I must say that I am both amazed AND delighted now.

Found a bunch of YT cookies - deleted them - and tried again minus the 'm.' - and all is well once again.
Such a simple solution after I'd spent so much time trying to make it work right via the UA - and got nowhere with that.

Thank You.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 29, 2018 11:39PM

smallhagrid
Such a simple solution after I'd spent so much time trying to make it work right via the UA - and got nowhere with that.

Glad it works now.
But if you're using KM-Pro and want to experiment with Useragents, be aware that it contains Narumans auto-site-switcher, which simply ignores the global UA pref and always replaces its value with its own global string (hardcoded in omni.ja) No matter which macro you try, or even changing the usual pref manually in about:config, it will not work.
Of course the site-specific values will work as intendend: whenever you toggle the UA by the autoswitcher-macro menu, it will store the current domain as site-exception in your profile. For exactly this domain, not other subdomains. So the prob is, if a site like youtube pulls content from several different subdomains or even different domains, you must first toggle the UA for each one separately.
That's why I always recommend, for such trial and error tests, to temporarily disable that auto-switcher. By setting its "count" pref to zero in about:config, and then use the normal, global pref again. Either manually or using another macro, like useragents2018.

Actually, with adding 6 lines in a file in omni.ja, the newer Mozilla way for UA handling could be made to work in KM75-KM76 too, like in Goanna. Find this native method a lot simpler to understand, it stores site-exceptions not automatically, only if the user stores one, and otherwise toggles the global UA. But the prob is that it needs omni.ja hacking in older KM :-/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 11:51PM by siria.

Date: April 30, 2018 06:03PM

Hello Again Siria & Thanks !!
May I ask the name of that pref in about:config in case I need to find it as you've suggested ??

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.