General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
real audio plugin
Posted by: Andres
Date: November 17, 2001 06:33PM

For some time now, I have been trying to enable Real Player Netscape plugin for K-Meleon. The only bad thing is that RealMedia is so stingy as not to provide a stand-alone plugin for Netscape, you have to download it in one large package with the whole program and a lot of other useless stuff inside.

All I could do was steal (I have no Netscape installed and RealPlayer refuses even to give me the plugin files nppl3260.dll etc. if no Netscape is detected) the files during a fake installation - those files happened to be in Windows/Temp for a short time. However, when I copied those files into K-Meleon/Plugins, about:plugins showed that although realaudio plugin was loaded, the only usable suffix was *.rpm. Anybody got an idea how I can get real audio direct in K-Meleon with all necessary suffixes (*.ra,*.ram etc.)?

Btw, Quicktime plugin works fine with K-Meleon, after I just copied the files from the IE plugins directory to K-Meleon/Plugins following a QT installation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: real audio plugin
Posted by: DJ
Date: November 17, 2001 11:23PM

Why not just install Netscape sounds easy enough to me then do it that way

Date: November 18, 2001 12:09AM

Thanks for the reply. I once had NetScape. Had to make a clean system reinstallation thereafter. Which is actually why I am using, and like, K-Meleon now.

However, installing NetScape, and then, of course, reinstalling RealPlayer and configuring it not to phone home, not to show me all those cute ads and not to do other things which I sort of don't enjoy leaves me still with one question: how can I enable real audio direct in K-Meleon?

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 19, 2001 08:00AM

make a copy of kmeleon.exe and call it netscape.exe, then when it asks you for the netscape plugin directory, give it the k-meleon directory. Basically you just trick real player into thinking k-meleon is netscape.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 19, 2001 02:19PM

Andres,

Try what Brian recommended. However, I think there are some problems with embedded Mozilla and Real Player files. If I can track down the bug for that, I'll post it here.

Andrew

Date: November 19, 2001 07:21PM

OK, I'll give it a try. But I am afraid that last time during the installation the installation prog did not ask anything about any plugin directories (I already had the fake netscape.exe in my K-Meleon directory and that did not help).

It was almost as if the installer knew everything better (like "sit back and relax while I am reformatting the whole universe..." winking smiley. And anyway, I already got all the files RealPlayer may put into the Netscape directory - those files are namely nppl3260.dll (the *.rpm suffix) and raclass.zip - and put them manually into my K-Meleon plugins directory. So I think all this still has to do with MIME settings as called from K-Meleon itself.

But I'll rerun the installation just in case and let you know about any success. Thanks.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.