General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to block cookie notifications on websites?
Posted by: Mello
Date: June 28, 2018 03:41PM

Other than disabling js, which isn't always practical.

Global solution not per site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 03:41PM by Mello.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to block cookie notifications on websites?
Posted by: siria
Date: June 28, 2018 08:07PM

Mello
Other than disabling js, which isn't always practical.
Global solution not per site.

Is there a prob with the normal settings config?
Edit > Configuration (F2) > Privacy & Security

Date: June 28, 2018 10:36PM

Can you explain siria?

I have options set to allow cookies from originating websites only
but I get cookie banners appearing on lots of sites I heven't visited before. Then I have to click on the banner to get rid of it.

I have blocking for popups enabled

Date: June 29, 2018 09:23PM

I took a chance and found that this Palemoon extension would install in K-m Goanna.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/i-dont-care-about-cookies/

I'll see how it works.

I read that it is a matter of which sites the author has added to
the database.

See comments at foot of this page.
https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

Date: June 30, 2018 12:21AM

I have to clarify. It is the EU legislation's resultant popup banner that many sites have that asks me to accept,decline or manage cookies I want to block. Hence the extension.

Re: How to block cookie notifications on websites? (GDPR-confirmations)
Posted by: siria
Date: June 30, 2018 02:33AM

Mello
I have to clarify. It is the EU legislation's resultant popup banner that many sites have that asks me to accept,decline or manage cookies I want to block. Hence the extension.

Ah now it finally starts dawning on me what you're talking about!
Not about cookies at all, nor popups, but about those annoying overlays to "agree" to cookies. Due to a new EU law now forced on lots of websites, and users now forced to agree too, when before they could simply block cookies and thus deny them silently.
Isn't it funny, how the EU keeps making laws which pretend to protect people, but they always end up making things a lot WORSE instead - grrr sad smiley Instead of forcing users to even explicitely agree now to all the data stealing, the laws should instead FORBID websites to steal unlimited private data, far beyond any reasonable purpose, even robbing on phones whole contacts lists and private photos and whatnot. But no, the laws now even support such theft yet more, by forcing users to even 'agree deliberately' if they want to use a website or phone app at all.

But your addon says it fixes those annoying overlays by simply telling all sites that they have permission to do whatever they want. And it does this by maintaining a long list or something.
No thanks either :-/

My own selfhelp is for now to try to hide annoying display elements by css style rules, as I've done since many years already, for all sorts of fixing display probs. Usually caused by my ancient browser version. But can be difficult and time consuming to figure out solutions.
And am using adblock.css instead of userContent.css, because adblock sheet can be toggled on/off during a session, to check if it hides too much.

Of course, hiding that consent-stuff instead of agreeing can have undesired side-effects. Probably on some sites requiring a login, or social-media etc. No idea, but am aware of that, and have no interest in such sites anyway.

For example to hide that cookie-banner on stackoverflow, have this in adblock.css:
@-moz-document domain(stackexchange.com) {
#js-gdpr-consent-banner {display: none !important; }
}

Interestingly, the identic banner-line works on yet another website too, but have forgotten which one. Wouldn't be surprised if website authors coded those new banners by using an example given somewhere. Or perhaps a few examples were copied by lots of websites, that would keep my blocking list quite short.

But haven't seem much of those cookie banners anymore lately. Wonder why. Perhaps because by default my cookies are all globally blocked? For occasional need, like in this forum, it's easy to switch them on with the cookie-button in the privacy toolbar. And my javascript is also globally blocked by default, this reduces a lot of annoying stuff, and on some sites perhaps influences such banners too, but not sure.

Oh, looks like those lists are quite long!
This gives some interesting hits, like "block-the-eu-cookie-shit-list" - LOL!
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22js-gdpr-consent-banner%22&btnG=Search&num=30&gbv=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 02:47AM by siria.

Date: July 01, 2018 06:42PM

I did say cookie "notifications on web sites" :cool:

I browse with js disabled and then toggle on/off as required, but there are an increasing number of sites sites that will not fully function without it.

The palemoon extension either isn't working properly or misses a huge number of sites, so isn't really worth it, unless a better list can be added to it.

It is a PITA.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 27, 2018 03:06PM

I haven't done extensive testing of blocking the GDPR-related banners.

One site GDPR banner successfully was blocked by adding an exception to Deny cookies on the site.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.