General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can't install new KM77-beta browser, VERY confusing process
Posted by: Scotty Crawford
Date: July 09, 2018 09:59PM

I'm sure that you're aware that users cannot use K-Meleon 76 in more and more ways every day. The K-Meleon Project will have all been for nothing if people can't get the clear explanations they need to update it.
Well, they aren't getting the help they need to install the KM77-Beta update from you so far.

First, you did not tell us that the discussion on the page at the link*
you provided is not focused on the KM77-beta browser at all. Please tell your readers to click on the FIRST post there; the one at the top, to get the new KM77-beta info.

Second, a lot of your readers just need a link for notes and dowloading, and a simple tab to press so they can do that and install it. Well, no one seems to be offering it, because:
Third, I did download the new browser....i THINK...and when I opened the file, it turned out to be very confusing.
a) When we open the downloaded file, KM-Goanna-20180707.7z\KM-Goanna\ ,
we see it's 99% irrelevant. 99% of everything in the file you recommend is NOT a .exe folder. The two that are there are tiny.
There are NO INSTRUCTIONS OR HELP WHATSOEVER.

b) Your readers need decompression software to open the downloaded file. I already do have it, but please remember that everyone does not know about it. Please help them by explaining that they need it to open the file, and recommend one or two programs.

I have now spent over two hours trying to perform the simple act of updating a browser...YOUR browser...which does not work anymore, and I still have no idea what to do.

So are you guys going to fix these problems and make it adequately easy for people to keep using K-Meleon or not?

* http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19

Options: ReplyQuote
Can't install new KM77-beta browser
Posted by: Scotty Crawford
Date: July 09, 2018 10:13PM

The K-Meleon Project will have all been for nothing if people can't get the clear explanations they need to update it.
A lot of your readers just need a link for notes and dowloading, and a simple tab to press so they can do that and install it. Well, no one seems to be offering it. I did download the new browser....i GUESS????

a) When we open the downloaded file, KM-Goanna-20180707.7z\KM-Goanna\ ,There are NO INSTRUCTIONS OR HELP WHATSOEVER.
And 99% of everything in the file is NOT a .exe folder.

I have now spent over two hours trying to perform the simple act of updating a browser...YOUR browser...which does not work anymore, and I still have no idea what to do.

So are you folks going to fix these problems and make it adequately easy for people to keep using K-Meleon or not? .

Re: Can't install new KM77-beta browser
Posted by: hermes
Date: July 10, 2018 12:47AM

@Scotty Crawford

Your messages here and here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,146661,146661#msg-146661 .

I'm certainly sorry, but I got impression that if there are such difficulties with identification of program for unzipping and generally with decompressing process, and also question: "what to run after unpacking?". This clearly indicates lack of experience not only with a particular browser, but also with PC in general. I'm right?
If this is so, we are all living people, it's impossible to know everything. Register on forum, open a new topic, ask specific and constructive questions and here you will definitely be helped. The statement that everything is not working and I do not understand anything is not constructive.

I hope you understand difference between what I do not understand and do not want to understand, don't understand, but can learn. For some reason it seems that you are not familiarized with FAQ on website, and materials on this forum.

Now, if you have constructive questions like: "I did do this and this, what should I do now?", this is a reasonable approach. Unfortunately, no telepaths here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 01:04AM by hermes.

Re: Can't install new KM77-beta browser, VERY confusing process
Posted by: J.G.
Date: July 10, 2018 07:10PM

Scotty Crawford
(...)
b) Your readers need decompression software to open the downloaded file. I already do have it, but please remember that everyone does not know about it. Please help them by explaining that they need it to open the file, and recommend one or two programs.

(...)

Are you suggesting self-extractable files to avoid the decompression software?
You should know that KMeleon 77 Goanna is portable, no installation is needed. smiling smiley

Re: Can't install new KM77-beta browser, VERY confusing process
Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 11, 2018 12:01PM

7-Zip like WinRAR or WinZip is an archiver.
Strictly speaking, you don't decompress an archive, you extract it.
Insofar, terms like compression and decompression software are rather misleading.
BTW, images and videos are also compressed files.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.