General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
encryption algorithm question, please.
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: July 03, 2016 05:57PM

I'll get this part out of the way 1st:
Call me insane or whatever you like, but in addition to my various other browsers, I am delighted to use Pocket K-Meleon 1.02 - daily.

It is incredibly light & quick and it does some few things for me much better than the newer, slower, heavier browsers...BUT:

The poor old thing is missing some SSL stuff or whatever and just today, instead of displaying links that I will often copy for quick usage in another browser, it complained thusly:
"K-Meleon and www.blahblah.com cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithms."

I know with some older apps it is possible to manually add some of this stuff, as I've done it in the past. (OpenSSL ??)

I want to make it clear that I am -NOT- trying to make this dear, elderly browser into any replacement for a fully modern browser;
What I desire is to keep it around as a convenience for certain things that it does exceedingly well.
(For example - it is the ONLY browser that gives me full access to this forum ??)

Any helpful replies will be hugely appreciated !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: encryption algorithm question, please.
Posted by: siria
Date: July 03, 2016 08:43PM

Same prob here on KM1.6.
Solutions welcome too :cool: grinning smiley

Lately that prob gets really annoying! Happens most often when reading twitter or facebook, both mobile. After browser start first all works fine, only some time later it randomly gets some hiccup and https is broken!

Date: July 03, 2016 09:20PM

Thanks for replying Siria !!

I did some searching and found this:
http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

But truly have no idea how to use it.

When I try difficult to load pages I can usually get to them with...
https://www.kproxy.com/

But not when I'm using this wonderful old browser...boohoohoo !!

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 03, 2016 10:03PM

May be something like Charles Proxy could help?

Date: July 03, 2016 10:17PM

Thanks for replying Rodocop.

Could be...:
rodocop
May be something like
url=https://www.charlesproxy.com/download/]Charles Proxy[/url] could help?

But I see that is says $50/license, and that is too much even if it can help !!

There are plenty of free proxy apps - I just don't know if they will help to moderate the SSL/TLS demands that this great old browser is now failing at.

It would be best if there was some way to satisfy this need at the OS level without having to indulge in any of the newer, lobotomized OSes.

Date: July 04, 2016 02:03PM

I understand.
I was googling for 'SSL proxy' so that was just the first result.

Just a guess: what about browsing through Privoxy extension?

Date: July 04, 2016 03:22PM

Thank You Rodocop.
That looks great and may be very helpful.

Do you know if it will work with such an ancient version as I am using, please ??
(Pocket K-Meleon 1.02)

Thanks.

Date: July 04, 2016 04:48PM

It should.

But there may be some difference in network-related prefs. Try to.

Date: July 05, 2016 05:49PM

Have made a good look at Privoxy since you suggest it, and here are some related links for anyone who may wish to use it generally for their system:

https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/quickstart.html
https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/index.html
https://www.privoxy.org/faq/index.html
http://www.silvester.org.uk/privoxy/

I also found that I already had an app called Proxy Switcher and gave that a try with very mixed results.
I remembered after I opened it why I haven't been using it - it just downloads more & more proxies, seemingly forever and some of its own options close it down suddenly with an error too.

Time to give Privoxy a whirl !!

Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 05, 2016 11:37PM

smallhagrid
I also found that I already had an app called Proxy Switcher and gave that a try with very mixed results.
Be aware that Proxy Switcher and Privoxy are total different animals.
Privoxy is a local filtering proxy (mainly but not only, to filter ads).
I used Privoxy ages ago to SOCKSify Opera Presto (before Yngwe implemented SOCKS support in Opera Presto).

Date: July 06, 2016 05:36PM

Thank You Yogi.
I was curious...and wanted to see what else might be of some use...or not.

Yogi
Be aware that Proxy Switcher and Privoxy are total different animals.
Privoxy is a local filtering proxy (mainly but not only, to filter ads).
I used Privoxy ages ago to SOCKSify Opera Presto (before Yngwe implemented SOCKS support in Opera Presto).

I am wondering if I want to use Privoxy from within the browser, or system-wide.
Another oldie-but-goodie is Proxomitron.

I use Pocket K-Meleon because it is so basic and incredibly lightning fast - if there is something I cannot view with it, I just use K-Meleon 75.1 Pro later on.

The problem I posted about was that suddenly sites that I could always view suddenly started griping and refusing to open.

I'll play around with this a bit and see what, if anything helps - but still have no intention of giving up this great old browser until I absolutely MUST !!

Posted by: siria
Date: July 06, 2016 05:51PM

And if you switch to KM1.6 as everyday browser, as medium solution? Also starting to fail more and more now, sadly, but the engine should still be a lot better as KM1. And just looking at filesize, it's a LOT smaller as modern KM76. But just talking from theory grinning smiley

Date: July 07, 2016 03:28PM

Thanks Siria.
I do have it - and use it sometimes too.
Seems like I have all the versions, I think.

I just really like really old, really simple browsers; and as long as they still work, I use 'em !!

When they don't, I save links that won't open there and open them later in a newer browser...but I start my days with this one, my favourite of all.

The during the course of any day I'll switch back and forth between different browsers a bunch of times.

K-Meleon, Firefox, once in a while even the last original Opera - but NEVER any chrome-things or IE-things a'tall.

I am in no hurry to be pushed into the newest or latest of anything.

If ever some time comes that my preferred browsers quit working altogether, I'll do my browsing from an Android OS, if I must - but for now I'm doing what I may just to stay put with what I like best.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 07, 2016 08:20PM

this sound like an ECC certificate issue which isn't supported by gecko 1.8.0 or lower and if you're on XP, your only option is gecko browser as other browser engines rely on the system supported certificates and ECC support starts at vista.

either case, your best bet is to use k-meleon 1.1(gecko 1.8.1). you can strip it down to make it just as lite as 0.1, disable layers/kplugins etc and it will be just as good and probably more stable too.

Date: July 08, 2016 12:50AM

Thanks for replying Disrupted.
disrupted
either case, your best bet is to use k-meleon 1.1(gecko 1.8.1). you can strip it down to make it just as lite as 0.1, disable layers/kplugins etc and it will be just as good and probably more stable too.
No stability problems here - just some sites refuse to load is all.
I may yet try that, but for now I just make a quick link page from any URLs that refuse to work & open them later in one of my other browsers.
Thanks.

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 08, 2016 10:51AM

DISRUPTED is back! This is great news ...

And I haven't even noticed until now ...

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 10, 2016 05:40PM

thanks panz, i'm around just don't have the time to contribute as before.
"life is a journey"

smallhagrid, i think you will be satisfied with 1.1 and should process the certificates that 1.0 rejects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 05:42PM by disrupted.

Date: July 11, 2016 05:32PM

Thanks for replying Disrupted.

disrupted
thanks panz, i'm around just don't have the time to contribute as before. "life is a journey"

smallhagrid, i think you will be satisfied with 1.1 and should process the certificates that 1.0 rejects.

I have it, and have been busy on the run due to a sick, elderly relation.
Will get into it and post back here with results ASAP; playing catch-up right now...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.