General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM vs. Firefox on Google Drive
Posted by: foliator
Date: September 22, 2016 09:27PM

Just thought I'd share this with you K-Meleonaires; this is neither a complaint nor a bug report:

I was recently given a link to some publicly accessible folders on Google Drive, and was able to access them with a Chrome clone, but I recently gave up on Chromium-based browser altogether and tried to access the folders with Firefox 43. All I got was a blank screen. The progress indicator never stopped spinning, but the folders never appeared. This was with nothing blocked in Firefox, mind you.

Then I tried the site with K-Meleon 75, and the folders were immediately accessible. This is interesting, because KM 75 is based on Gecko 31 (I'm spoofing 43), while Firefox 43 was of course based on a much newer engine, Gecko 43. Firefox never seems to stop growing in size while downgrading its performance. All the more reason to stick with K-Meleon! :cool:

---
Gerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM vs. Firefox on Google Drive
Posted by: siria
Date: September 22, 2016 10:50PM

Nice to hear of course, just curious:
When checking on about:config page, is the setting for "dom.storage.enabled" the same in both browsers?
But of course a 100 other permissions settings can interfere too.

Re: KM vs. Firefox on Google Drive
Posted by: foliator
Date: September 22, 2016 11:24PM

siria
Nice to hear of course, just curious:
When checking on about:config page, is the setting for "dom.storage.enabled" the same in both browsers?
But of course a 100 other permissions settings can interfere too.

Yes, I have "dom.storage.enabled" set to false in both browsers. In fact, I'm using identical values for most of the about:config settings in both browsers, except, of course, for the ones that are only recognized by KM or FF. When I installed FF 43 a while back, I actually copied its prefs.js to my Firefox profile, and deleted only the lines containing references to K-Meleon, so there are a lot of similarities.

I did have to temporarily enable dom.storage in KM for one site, because I needed to check whether a chain of stores had something in stock that I wanted, but I couldn't select my local store without enabling dom.storage. Most of the other store chains don't seem to need that.

The settings I'm using for Smooth Scroll are also the same in both browsers, but work better in K-Meleon. I've never found a satisfactory setting for that in Firefox, which I understand is a common complaint, but what I have now is as good as it's likely to get -- that is, if I continue to use Firefox, which seems unlikely at this point.

---
Gerry

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.