General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[solved] Paypal no longer supports v76 as of 30th Oct
Posted by: giro1991
Date: October 30, 2018 08:29PM

Some of you may know there are two layouts of paypal, the normal or modern site and the classic site. The classic site is popular among business users because its lighter and easier to navigate than the newer layout. It can only be accessed via unique link.

In the past I had to resort to the classic layout for some browsers. Once I discovered k-meleon, I had no problem loading either the modern or classic layout (great!). I still preferred to use the classic though. Unfortunately as of today, 30th Oct at roughly 8PM London time neither layout works on k-melon anymore. Instead an 'Outdated browser' prompt appears immediately after login:

I'm on paypal regularly so it was obvious when the change had occured. I've reset cookies and reinstalled browser to no avail - I believe paypal have changed their site.

Normal layout: www.paypal.com
Hidden classic layout: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_withdraw-funds&bn_r=o
Here is proof in a discussion about this link in case your skeptical.
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Feedback-for-PayPal/Log-Into-Classic-Site/td-p/1029872

So is anyone having this problem, its not just me is it?

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 05:22PM by giro1991.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paypal no longer supports v76 as of 30th Oct
Posted by: Mello
Date: October 30, 2018 09:21PM

Maybe experiment with different useragents

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 30, 2018 10:02PM

What v76 version exactly? Official? Goanna?

Please, provide such information when trying to get help from others or report so others can test it.

I just get in with K-meleon 75.0 without any other user agent than presenting myself as K-meleon 75.0 (no Firefox compatible option, that I don't use except a couple of sites).

True that I didn't use the old web version, nor even trying to use it, even I preferred that in the past, but I can get in with the new layout.

So, tell us, that you show us is displayed when trying to get into the old, or it does display in the whole site?

BTW, you don't need to reinstall the browser. Just create a new clean profile for tests winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 10:03PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 30, 2018 10:20PM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0

The whole site is off bounds. Before this happened I logged in as normal and a the I'm not a robot tick box would appear on a new page, then after that I would see my account.
Now, the page following the login shows the OP.

Wouldn't know how to switch profiles or useragent.

Date: October 30, 2018 11:18PM

giro1991
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0

The whole site is off bounds. Before this happened I logged in as normal and a the I'm not a robot tick box would appear on a new page, then after that I would see my account.
Now, the page following the login shows the OP.

:-? never had the I'm not a robot hell reCaptcha by Google, if you meant that. Are you sure you are accessing Paypal? They have their own security protocols, as to send an SMS, in case of doubt.

giro1991
Wouldn't know how to switch profiles or useragent.

To create, rename, delete or switch profiles, go to Edit menu > Manage profiles. Tick "ask at startup" so you can choose what profile to use (disable if you don't need it to avoid nagging window). Yours, by default, would be the "default" user.

Altenatively, you can open a new profile from the command line (using the console from the path where K-meleon is installed, or if it is hard to you, with a windows shortcut with the following parameters):
K-meleon.exe -P userprofile
or
k-meleon.exe -new -P userprofile
this option is to have two instances of K-meleon open, each one with its own profile.
userprofile means the desired user profile to load.

The user Agent can be switched from Tools menu, but as I've been told Goanna version includes a hardcoded one, I can't be sure where exactly. I don't/can't use that version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 11:19PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 31, 2018 12:11AM

JohnHell
The user Agent can be switched from Tools menu, but as I've been told Goanna version includes a hardcoded one, I can't be sure where exactly. I don't/can't use that version.

The heavily customized Goanna is only KG74.
That's based on Naruman's old fork (guess was called 74+1?), only the engine exchanged.
From the old fork it inherited some addons merged in components, not removable and not visible on about:addons. Like in that fork, and in the Pro-versions, KG74 also inherited a very different UA addon: no global UA pref possible (unless knowing and using secret tricks)

KG76 is based on the normal KM76RC, and again only the engine exchanged.
Same macros inherited, that means the UA macro still missing too sad smiley
As far as I could see, macrolanguage fully working the same way, and also same old bugs as in KM76 (fuzzy menu icons etc.)
But finally site-specific UA prefs are working in the engine.
And 1 new macro added, troubleshoot-prefs.

It's too bad Dorian had removed one of the most important functions from KM, one of those GUI-goodies which had made KM popular, and as expected it backfires all the time now. By far most users believe that "browser is too old and incapable" nonsense sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 12:32AM by siria.

Date: October 31, 2018 12:11AM

Thanks for the help. So what is the best version to use / does it work better?

It's not a big deal as long as I can still use paypal to make purchases on eBay (eBay works fluidly with this browser ironically even though they recommend snooping chrome). Should a need to purchase something arise I will report the result.

I'm familiar with paypals text code confirmation procedure but have not had to do it in months, probbaly not since I started using km-goanna. The 'I'm not a robot' check is a recent addition, maybe the last month. It occurs at random too.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 12:19AM by giro1991.

Date: October 31, 2018 12:27AM

The latest, and after the information given by siria, the latest, understood with the most updated engine, is the Goanna version, so use it, but remember to give that information when you need help. Not all have that same version smiling smiley and not all things work the same on both 76.

As user agent changer, I guess you can use one of these macros:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,143898
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,143209

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 12:27AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Firebottle
Date: October 31, 2018 02:02AM

You know... Ebay/Paypal threatened this a several months ago on XP and/or older browsers, but it still works. I guess they would rather make money than not?

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 31, 2018 08:17AM

Speaking of new engines

KM-Goanna's engines are based on those of Pale Moon 27 which had the main code base of FirefoxESR 38.
However, the code was rewritten (it's called now Tycho) and all applicable security patches from Mozilla have been applied since.
Besides, new CSS and JS features have been added.
-------

Off Topic

BTW, the same applies for Pale Moon 28 which basically inherited its main code base from FirefoxESR 52 getting an updated scripting engine.

Posted by: hermes
Date: October 31, 2018 08:23AM

@giro1991 (as I understand you use Goanna)

A good tip: do not use an FF-compatible user-agent if you can do without it.
Many sites will write you to outdated versions (for FF version).

Easy way:

- go to \ browser \ defaults \ preferences \ kmprefs-additional.js ;
- search string pref("general.useragent.compatMode", 2);
- switch to pref("general.useragent.compatMode", 1); (as example);
- OK, browser restart.

Or can change full user-agent: (you must understand what you're doing)

- open about:config in URL bar;
- confirm alert;
- right click on space, create string, general.useragent.override ,
value (as example)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

- OK, browser restart.

In any ways, you can see current user-agent after open short address about:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 08:26AM by hermes.

Date: October 31, 2018 11:15AM

@JohnHell
Forgot to stress a little detail, for the Default UA compatmode Goanna uses other prefs.
KG74: additional pref: general.useragent.compatMode.gecko = true/false
KG7677: combi pref: general.useragent.compatMode = 0/1/2 = none/+Gecko/+Gecko&Firefox

And meanwhile had a little idea 💡
To reduce the dilemma with either freely faking the global useragent OR supporting the KM statistics, users can simply imitate the compatMode method too:
just manually adding KM at the end of some fake strings too.
Not to all of course, because some servers don't like it.

Then again, too rare and unique strings are a desaster for privacy... :-/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 11:32AM by siria.

Date: October 31, 2018 05:09PM

Ok its fixed now.

The instructions by hermes worked. One minor quibble however: navigating away from about:config tab (which user does to copy the absurdly long 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0' string, hides the string entry prompt when he/she returns to the about:config tab. The text entry dialog disappears when switching tabs.

SO a workaround / improved set of instructions would be:

- Copy this string immediately: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
- Simultaneously make a mental note of the string 'general.useragent.override'
- Type about:config in URL bar
- Confirm alert
- Right click blank space > create new String
- Type in mental note 'general.useragent.override'
- Paste the longer (copied) string into subsequent prompt / text box.
- Restart browser

This is the way I had to do it. 'general.useragent.override' is easier to remember than the other string.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 05:33PM by giro1991.

Date: October 31, 2018 05:39PM

Have noticed that only now, in giro's most complicated UA switch method (instead of using simple macro menu):

hermes
- open about:config in URL bar;
- confirm alert;
- right click on space, create string, general.useragent.override ,
value (as example)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

- OK, browser restart.

No, UA-toggles do not needed browser restarts. Never have, always worked instantly. The global pref as well as site prefs, as well as compat toggles.

Posted by: hermes
Date: November 01, 2018 03:31PM

@siria

- OK, browser restart.

In fact Yes, you can. But either clearing cookies and temporary files or restarting browser to make session different. Otherwise it is not known how on such a sudden change will reaction of web-service. There have been cases of ban from resource side.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 03:33PM by hermes.

Date: November 01, 2018 03:38PM

The browser is that quick at restarting it is nothing fixate over.

Date: November 01, 2018 04:28PM

giro1991
The browser is that quick at restarting it is nothing fixate over.

It's not about fixating, it's about caring.
Perhaps an ultraquick restart doesn't bother you and many others. But out there are still lots of people on ultraslow dial-up connections, even in the US yet as I've recently learned, quite surprised. My own connection is unbearably slow too, because it's often loading at rather 10% of the supposed speed, which itself is already quite low. If then you have some 30 tabs open, or even 50, and wrongly think you "must" restart the whole mess after every harmless useragent toggle, that's quite an ordeal. Sometimes even expensive.
Not to mention that different sites often require different useragent strings.

I think users should have a right to be informed at least about the normal ways too.
Many browser things are confusing, mysterious or complicated and mistakes often happen, but useragent-toggling is really so trivial, experienced users have done it a hundred or thousand times already. And I could bet just about no one bothers to restart every single time, if it worked right away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 04:42PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.