General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mouse "bindings"
Posted by: Lars Vendike
Date: November 18, 2001 11:26PM

How can i turn off that the mouse wheel triggers the Forward / Back button?

And is it possible to open a link in a new window by clicking on it and holding down a button? (like shift in opera or ie5.5)
thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mouse "bindings"
Posted by: po
Date: November 19, 2001 04:32AM

>>How can i turn off that the mouse wheel triggers the Forward / Back button?
-
never heard of that one before... i would play with the mouse settings.

>>And is it possible to open a link in a new window by clicking
>>on it and holding down a button? (like shift in opera or ie5.5)
-
not supported in gecko yet, i think.

--- po

Posted by: philb
Date: November 23, 2001 01:43PM

I think I know what this problem relates to...

In other browsers (NS, IE, Opera, Mozilla, Amaya, Mosaic, Cello...) when you start the browser the focus is on the pane showing the web page and so when you scroll using the wheel you scroll the web page.

When you open K-Meleon the focus is on the url dropdown entry box. If you go to page a by entering a URL and hitting return or by using a bookmark the focus stays on the URL dropdown. So when you use your mouse wheel to scroll you actually scroll through the history list (so it can look like you're using the back/forward button - Lars, does this sound like your problem?).

I find this behaviour really annoying. I'm sure there is some sense in having the focus on the URL, I guess there are people who find it annoying to open other browsers starting hitting the keys for the URL they want to go to only for their typing to dissappear into the web page they're looking at. But surely default behaviour should follow the convention that most users are used to?

Hope this helps, Phil.

Date: November 23, 2001 09:54PM

damn... i bet you're right... i've done that before... shoulda thought of that. :-)

i don't think starting with the focus on the URL is intentional, it'll be fixed eventually, i'm sure.

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 24, 2001 06:43AM

actually it is intentional, I like to hit ctrl+n and start typing. I hate it when my cursor suddenly moves away from the url bar in the middle of typing in netscape/ie. (or worse, when the url I was typing is replaced by the current page url).

Re: Mouse
Date: November 24, 2001 02:46PM

oh... well, in that case,
maybe there could be a preference setting for this behavior?

--- po

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.