General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Dumb updating question, maybe ??
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: December 22, 2018 10:43PM

Howdy Folks.
I'm very happy with Rodocop's 75.1 Pro...but the internet as a whole now considers it to be too old.
BooHoo.

So, maybe this has been asked & answered 100 times & places already here, but:

Is there any really quick & easy way to transfer ALL tweaks, settings, etc. from the older version to a newer one ??
(Presumably copying the profile is part of this...but is it enough ??)

It took me quite a bit of efort to get 75.1 as minimalized as I prefer & I haven't been in any hurry to do that again.

Thanks for any helpful replies !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dumb updating question, maybe ??
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 23, 2018 04:17PM

First, backup all, the installation folder, as we don't know what you have changed and where, and if the profile is not in the installation folder, find it, and backup it, as we don't know either.

And, after that, your question has a broad answer depending on what does it mean to you "tweaks, settings, etc"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 04:18PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 23, 2018 05:35PM

Yep several topics over the years, a recent one e.g.:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146213

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: December 25, 2018 09:42PM

Thanks for replying folks !!
Backing up is no problem, I do that anyhow.
It has been long enough that I also do not know what I did exactly either !!!:

JohnHell
First, backup all, the installation folder, as we don't know what you have changed and where, and if the profile is not in the installation folder, find it, and backup it, as we don't know either.

And, after that, your question has a broad answer depending on what does it mean to you "tweaks, settings, etc"?

I was hoping that with this pre-goanna version it might be as simple as over-writing the core files or something like that...
Perhaps Rodocop will chimein here as it is his build that I am asking about ??

Happy Holiday to All !!

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 25, 2018 11:22PM

smallhagrid
Thanks for replying folks !!
Backing up is no problem, I do that anyhow.
It has been long enough that I also do not know what I did exactly either !!!:

JohnHell

I was hoping that with this pre-goanna version it might be as simple as over-writing the core files or something like that...
Perhaps Rodocop will chimein here as it is his build that I am asking about ??

Happy Holiday to All !!

There shouldn't be any major difference, as there isn't any major difference with what is inside any Firefox profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Firefox

If you have personal macros, copy over the profile macros folder; if you have your own skins, copy the profile skins folder; if you have Firefox native extensions DON'T copy over, install them again; and for the rest of the profile folder FILES (not folders) refer to the link above; and if you still have doubts, to the link posted by siria; and still, wait for rodocop winking smiley

And I may leave something back, that's the reason I asked what you understand by "tweaks, settings, etc". If you have browser preferences (prefs.js) is better setup those settings again, after all you have the backup in case you miss something.

If you ask me, I don't recommend to just place the profile folder in the new installation. Specially with the prefs.js, that may have preferences linked to the old profile/installation paths and can cause problems.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.