General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Popups are unbearably annoying
Posted by: Steve
Date: April 21, 2017 02:38AM

Ke-meleon 75.1 portable here!

I use the browser on a really old machine which works great but i noticed that even checking the "Block popups" in privacy otions doesnt do anything to stop popups,

maybe it is blocking some but on some websites it simply doesnt, it is getting to a point where every click results in a popup

example on thepiratebay.org

So my question is:
Is there something wrong with my browser OR Is there other hidden options to force Ke-meleon to block all popups

---- (Edit siria: set link inactive)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 05:27AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popups are unbearably annoying
Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 21, 2017 12:37PM

Hi, Steve!
Glad to see you here using K-Meleon!

Speaking about your issue: popup blocking routine is very old and there are many other popup-launching ways created since that days.

So you have 2 possibilities to block more popups (I cannot even guarantee that ALL):

1) Switch off Javascript by default (F7 key) and browse without. Just toggling it on that sites it really needed for.
Sure, too many modern sites won't work fully without JS. Note this.

2) Deal with preference in about:config
dom.popup_allowed_events
It contains a list of events (like 'click' 'dblclick' 'mouseup' etc.) that trigger the launch of JS-related popup windows.

You can clear it - partly or fully - and it stops majority of popups. BUT also it can prevent correct work of some good sites or good functions on sites (like different submits, logins etc.)

Our comrade siria created great extension PopupConfig to manage allowed popup events - you can find it in this thread, read about and get it for your installation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 12:39PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Steve
Date: April 22, 2017 06:32AM

rodocop
Hi, Steve!
Glad to see you here using K-Meleon!

Speaking about your issue: popup blocking routine is very old and there are many other popup-launching ways created since that days.

So you have 2 possibilities to block more popups (I cannot even guarantee that ALL):

1) Switch off Javascript by default (F7 key) and browse without. Just toggling it on that sites it really needed for.
Sure, too many modern sites won't work fully without JS. Note this.

2) Deal with preference in about:config
dom.popup_allowed_events
It contains a list of events (like 'click' 'dblclick' 'mouseup' etc.) that trigger the launch of JS-related popup windows.

You can clear it - partly or fully - and it stops majority of popups. BUT also it can prevent correct work of some good sites or good functions on sites (like different submits, logins etc.)

Our comrade siria created great extension PopupConfig to manage allowed popup events - you can find it in this thread, read about and get it for your installation.

Hi rodocop

i will try with JS for a while and see if at least reduces the problem,
and i will check the configs and the extension thanks,

Just wondering is it possible to port more extensions from firefox, really important extensions like "Blur" "tampermonkey" "vanilla coockie"...?

Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 22, 2017 07:59AM

Since this thread is not about a K-Meleon bug, can it be moved please by a mod to a proper forum?

Edit: Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 11:04AM by Yogi.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.