General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM - Where it is and where it could be?
Posted by: Borut
Date: June 18, 2019 08:27AM

Hi all!

After using KM(G) for about a year as my primary browser I believe that KM is conceptually a marvelous peace of software. At the same time I find it frustrating and saddening to see it actually not much known, not much visible (even in Wikipedia), hard to grasp for new users. Lots of expertise, workarounds, additional macro functionalities are scattered all over the forum and wiki pages and hard to find. This is sad and apparently I am not the only one to feel like this.

It is a pure luck that currently - as of mid 2019 - the Goanna engine for KM is being steadily maintained, so that KMG exists. This brings a bit of hope.

While one can hardly influence the developers (I know it from my own experience: we all have real life, families, difficulties, changing interests, you name it...), maybe interested people could in this thread try to do the following:
  • Get an idea who are "typical" users of KM. What ideas/features/expectations are bringing people to KM? Are these mostly geeks? Is it so because non geeks can not follow, are intimidated or lost, see only bugs and have no idea about workarounds?
  • How can the visibility of KM be improved? Revamped homepage? Additional homepage for KMG? New/updated parts of current wiki? Some new wiki, perhaps for KMG?
  • What about support of a consensus based "distribution"? Something which would be acceptable for the novice and as up to date (in terms of Goanna, KMMs,..., when not GUI bugs elimination) as it can be?

Maybe a bit of discussion about these issues would start things rolling?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 08:42AM by Borut.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM - Where it is and where it could be?
Posted by: Borut
Date: June 18, 2019 08:37AM

For my part, this is what brought me to KM(G):

My background is IT, but not C. I try to avoid dependence on global player IT companies, especially when browsers and mail clients are considered. At the same time I prefer portability, small footprint, speed, reliability, standard adherence, no advertising, support of privacy, open source. That's it.

However, in some years I will most probably switch from Windows to Linux anyway (or to ReactOS!), so KM will then probably no more be on my radar.

I was used to Opera 12.80. The Opera that followed was no option. The same was true for Vivaldi, unfortunately. Otter is in a kind of a deep sleep, at best. The others are not worth mentioning. grinning smiley Pale Moon seems an option, but I do not like their search engine concept (although I acknowledge that they have to live from something - this is why they are able to keep a steady progress).

I would love to see a maintained, up to date "distribution" of KMG.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 08:40AM by Borut.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.