General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Control timeframe of config "browser.visited_color"
Posted by: KM2005
Date: April 17, 2017 09:45PM

What config setting controls the number of days "browser.visited_color" stays it's color (default purple)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Control timeframe of config "browser.visited_color"
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 17, 2017 10:11PM

History, always has been history.

Remove an entry from history and you'll see what happens.

EDIT:
In newer K-meleon (Gecko, actually), started to have an history about number of entries, instead time, and if you don't set a limit, it is system dependant (whatever way is calculated). It isn't as before where you set history for... for example, 60 days.

EDIT 2:

I better elaborate a little the above. You can control it by setting a number in the preference places.history.expiration.max_pages. I talked about this earlier and, in my case, for 2 months, I need a number of about 20000.

Note that places.history.expiration.max_pages and places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages are linked, so change both values at once and restart K-meleon. Even though the second is a copy of the first.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 10:30PM by JohnHell.

Date: April 17, 2017 10:54PM

JohnHell
I better elaborate a little the above. You can control it by setting a number in the preference places.history.expiration.max_pages. I talked about this earlier and, in my case, for 2 months, I need a number of about 20000.

Note that places.history.expiration.max_pages and places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages are linked, so change both values at once and restart K-meleon. Even though the second is a copy of the first.
Maybe the first digit is about the number of months then.

Date: April 17, 2017 11:12PM

KM2005
JohnHell

Maybe the first digit is about the number of months then.

Nop.

If you don't trust me, go here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/Places/Places_Expiration

It is just a coincidence that I visit about 20000 every two months. But, at the same time, if, for whatever reason, I visit more this week, I could drop from the history more addresses, therefore, my history would be less than two months. And, of course, the opposite.

It is tricky, but to determine a time frame, I had to open places.sqlite with the SQuilte Manager extension, take note of the number of places I had in moz_places table in the database and sort all by last visited, take the lower number and convert the epoch time to human readable.

If after that you found that it is too much for you, you can lower the limit of urls in the database, if you find that find that you have very few, you will have to set a higher number. And, that, without forgetting that, depending on how many sites do you visit in a given time frame, it will make to have a larger time frame of history urls or shorter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 11:13PM by JohnHell.

Date: April 17, 2017 11:30PM

JohnHell
You can control it by setting a number in the preference places.history.expiration.max_pages.

I suppose what is meant is about:config
I don't have a places.history.expiration.max_pages in config. Add,
places.history.expiration.max_pages user set integer?
By default, my ...transient.. value is 27918.

Date: April 18, 2017 12:04AM

KM2005
JohnHell
You can control it by setting a number in the preference places.history.expiration.max_pages.

I suppose what is meant is about:config
I don't have a places.history.expiration.max_pages in config. Add,
places.history.expiration.max_pages user set integer?
By default, my ...transient.. value is 27918.

Yes.
It is because, by default, it is calculated.
Yes, an integer.
That value is based on your system specs. After setting the other preference, should take the value from there, but I recommend to change at the same time. Sometimes that pref seems dumb and don't like to set that value.

If you want to refine your value, use this custom History.xul file that shows dates:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,140723

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 12:13AM by JohnHell.

Date: April 18, 2017 12:14AM

I forgot my history modification LOL

Use it to check dates without those complications (I removed from the above post) tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 12:17AM by JohnHell.

Date: May 21, 2017 02:43PM

JohnHell
... history modification

...Use it to check dates...

Installed today. Much used. Thanks a lot.

Date: May 21, 2017 03:40PM

JohnHell
...history modification...

I browsed through the Development forum, etc. Does the Latest Development Release,
K-Meleon 76 RC or K-Meleon 76 Pro, contain such fine updates?

Date: May 21, 2017 05:40PM

KM2005
JohnHell
...history modification...

I browsed through the Development forum, etc. Does the Latest Development Release,
K-Meleon 76 RC or K-Meleon 76 Pro, contain such fine updates?

The RC and RC2, being official, no, not yet as the date of I released my changes.

For the unofficial custom version, called Pro, by rodocop, only him can answer it. Or download it and test it winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 05:41PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 23, 2017 11:25AM

sorry, this update isn't included in Pro-build.

I should prepare it for the next 'release'

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.