General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-meleon and 'responsive webdesign'
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: July 04, 2019 05:48PM

Hi!

The relaunch of the website www.derstandard.at is based on the 'responsive webdesign'. The site is displayed correctly in the desktop mode in Edge (and allegedly also in FF), but not in K-meleon: all elements are displayed one below the other (as if the site would be displayed on a mobile device).

Does anyone have any idea which settings in KM could be responsible for this?

Z.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-meleon and 'responsive webdesign'
Date: July 05, 2019 05:05AM

Can anyone here confirm the described behaviour of the site in KM? I have a convertible with a touch screen.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 05, 2019 02:12PM

Zvonko
Can anyone here confirm the described behaviour of the site in KM? I have a convertible with a touch screen.

Yes, even though I might not be using the same version, but I have other sites too that behave the same way and, in my opinion, is a mix of some sort of CSS with JavaScript version (in this case, as the CSS is based on custom entries) what causes it, so you can't do anything but update to the latest version (with the latest engine (CSS and JS)) and hope it displays as it should.

In aggressive responsive designs like this one, you can't do much, but make by yourself a custom CSS to display it as you want.

But think of it the other way, the site is displayed, what else? Some don't even display (despite they load).

Date: July 05, 2019 03:28PM

Thank you, JohnHell!

Are you using a touch screen computer too?

Date: July 05, 2019 04:52PM

Zvonko
Thank you, JohnHell!

Are you using a touch screen computer too?

No, but in responsive design, in a desktop, and at least with Gecko/Goanna browsers you only need to zoom in and out the page to see how it looks at different widths (that is what usually the responsive design checks). In K-meleon this is achieved by using the CTRL + mouse wheel or through View menu > Zoom.

But the above doesn't mean is what I did to check the site. I tried, but the site doesn't look as in other browsers.

Anyway, I thought you were trying to fix it in K-meleon on desktop and, as said, your only chance is to update it with Roytam's Goanna releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 04:54PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 05, 2019 06:18PM

Zvonko
the website www.derstandard.at is based on the 'responsive webdesign'.

In my opinion derstandard.at is aggressive to a degree that they won't even let me see anything at all, no matter how many protection settings I disable for them. Accepting all cookies from all domains, allowing to run dangerous javascript, even 3rd party javascripts, referrers, even tried XHR - nothing is sufficient for them. Clicking the OK button never does anything, still playing dead. Although the site claims that all they'd want is just to set a little cookie, and claims those were blocked - no, not true. What they really insist is to also get full script access, and not just any scripts, but powerful modern scripts. Yeah it may be that one of the probs is using an old browser with older js libraries. Or not, no idea. At any rate IMO that's no reason to block access completely while lying and claiming that the prob were blocked cookies. No, they are not.
It's not the first site that does this. And all in the name of "protecting" the users - ha ha, what a bad joke!! Before some websites started abusing "user protection" acc to new EU laws in such an intrusive way, almost all websites were allowing user to get in at least partly despite NOT accepting any cookies. And especially despite NOT allowing highly dangerous javascripts to run on their machines, the wide open door to almost all malware, using known or future zeroday exploits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 06:24PM by siria.

Date: July 05, 2019 08:00PM

I am using K-Meleon 76.2 Goanna Build 20190629 at the moment.

Since Edge and (supposedly) FF also display the site correctly, I would assume that there are also settings in KM that could force this ...

Date: July 05, 2019 08:22PM

Zvonko
I am using K-Meleon 76.2 Goanna Build 20190629 at the moment.

Since Edge and (supposedly) FF also display the site correctly, I would assume that there are also settings in KM that could force this ...

Then, you should ask Roytam here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,148500

He is after all an expert, but Goanna lags features behind Gecko engine and others, and what is implemented in other browsers doesn't mean it is in K-meleon Goanna.

For example, read here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,145699

Furthermore, if in Pale Moon happens the same, there you have the answer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 08:23PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 07, 2019 12:03PM

In PaleMoon 27.

28 is on newer engine, UXP and it's maybe OK there. (hmm, really not - very strange render there, worse than in KM)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 12:07PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.