General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Question on KM 75.1 and 76 Pro
Posted by: callahan
Date: August 22, 2017 06:52PM

In 'about:config' ... there are all these search plugins that I really don't need. Is there a quick way to fix all these plugins, so they don't show? ... like guenter just posted dealing with 'user agents'?

"Yes You can do it that way.

But You can do it by the old macro and prevent the writing at the first place,

Then You do not have to edit.

And if I remember correctly installing the macro and its pre-requisits properly should overwrite values in the profile's prefs.js automatically.

Throw a file with extension .js to the install location of your km. For me."
---------------------------------------------------

You can do 'reset' and change everything from 'user set' to 'default' ... I did do that sometime back but I seem to remember they all came back.

These are a few examples ... there are many, it a large list. It's not that important, just wondering if others had gotten rid of these search plugins?

kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.icon.AltaVista

kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.icon.Amazon.com

kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.icon.Astalavista.box.sk

thanks ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 06:53PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on KM 75.1 and 76 Pro / searchplus macro
Posted by: siria
Date: August 22, 2017 10:12PM

Those are no "plugins", just harmless possible macro settings.

Looks like you have the searchplus extension installed, which offers more options, for example showing different icons on the search button, depending on the currently active search engine:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,95362

Can't quite remember all details, and my own macros are heavily customized :cool:
If you really want to get rid, would download the extension above, just to look inside which files it contains, then delete most of them manually in your KM.
The trick is to figure out by comparing, which of them should not be deleted, only replaced by the basic macro from an official KM version (not Pro).
The file "search.kmm" must definitely be replaced only, not deleted completely. Obviously "defkmfiles/search.kmm" was meant for exactly this case, holding the default search macro from that time, in case a user wants to reset it later. Today you can use instead the younger default version from KM75/76 (not Pro) and drop it into the macros folder.
After a quick look, guess all others are unique to the extension only, just not quite sure about some icons in the skin folder, search icon and kmeleon icon. Before deleting completely, make a backup copy somewhere for testing if needed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 10:18PM by siria.

Date: August 22, 2017 11:30PM

siria ... thanks for the reply and information. I have some things to work with or try.

"Looks like you have the searchplus extension installed, which offers more options, for example showing different icons on the search button, depending on the currently active search engine:"

I'm not sure what that is ... I didn't install it so it must have already been there. I will look into all this plus the link you supplied.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 23, 2017 01:08AM

Or the simplest, just keep it ;-)
What's the reason you wanna get rid of it?
Almost sounds as if it's only to get about:config better readable, but that doesn't make sense, there are hundreds more prefs in it and for readability and listings there's the filter field.

Date: August 23, 2017 03:56PM

Yes, I will just leave the setup alone. I only use two search engines and didn't need all those others. I think they are finally gone and they come right back. I just don't want to see them and that seems to work, hiding them ... I only see DuckDuckGo and Google.

It was just a question looking for an easy fix or solution.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 24, 2017 07:04PM

Search engines are defined in the file browser\defaults\search.xml

Just edit it (preserving xml-syntax) as you like - and you'll get it. Also delete excessive entries from browser\defaults\preferences\i10n.js

Date: August 28, 2017 09:35AM

Thanks for the additional information. I have KM 75.1 fixed or clean but not KM 76 Pro.

Both versions seem to have lots of profiles, xml and i10n.js scattered around. Still searching around in KM 76 Pro for 'something' ... the lists are still hanging around. Will continue after a rest ... was getting too frustrated.

It's a learning experience however ... just have to look through all the folders again for something I missed.

As I said earlier ... KM 75.1 is looking good for now.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.