General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Question on Profile
Posted by: Dominic
Date: September 30, 2017 12:01AM

Hello:

I am currently running KM75.1 under Windows 8.1.
The profile folder is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\K-Meleon\sikwjedy.default
I would like to change the location of the profile folder to C:\Program Files\K-Meleon
I believe this can be done by creating an empty profile.ini file in C:\Program Files\K-Meleon
Then I start K-Meleon and it will process this change.
I put together this procedure from the Documentation section, can someone please tell me if this is correct?

Thanks
Dominic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Profile
Posted by: siria
Date: September 30, 2017 12:32AM

It's correct yes, except that modern Windows OS may refuse writing rights in the program folder. Am no expert (still old computer), but think you can change it by right-clicking on the profiles folder and changing the security permissions manually. Others can tell better, or perhaps you know it yourself already.
While at it, give also permission to the skins folder.

Some of us just place the whole KM folder outside of the default program folder, but that means the whole folder and browser is not write-protected anymore.

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: siria
Date: September 30, 2017 12:40AM

Attention, the contents of the old profile folder are not migrated automatically! They remain where they are and must be copied over manually:
After creating "profile.ini" in KM root, restart the browser again, and it will create a new default profile folder inside. Now close KM again, then manually copy over the contents of the old folder (old place) into the new folder.

Posted by: Dominic
Date: September 30, 2017 02:49AM

Siria, thank you for the replies.

Dominic

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 02, 2017 11:29AM

I have Win 10 on all of my machines now. Microsoft has win 10 done such that I cannot place programs into "program files" or "program files x86" unless I use an "installer". I got around that by creating a folder at c: root named "km pgms". I have my K-Meleon programs loaded there.

Since I created "km pgms", I have all access there.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.