General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Button for Main menu possible?
Posted by: cpm1a_new
Date: September 10, 2019 09:08AM

would like to add it into ...\browser\defaults\settings\toolbars.cfg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 11:37AM by cpm1a_new.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Button for Main menu possible?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 10, 2019 03:45PM

cpm1a_new
would like to add it into ...\browser\defaults\settings\toolbars.cfg

It's even easier to unlock toolbars (view menu), move the menu to the most right you can until double quotes appear and lock the toolbars again.

Minimalistic to extreme.

Date: September 10, 2019 05:00PM

thats what i'm using now, but double quotes is too narrow an area, rather have a button

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 10, 2019 05:29PM

cpm1a_new
thats what i'm using now, but double quotes is too narrow an area, rather have a button

Then, if you still want to use the toolbars.cfg, just add a button/image and append a right click/left holding click submenu.

And append to that submenu every menu in the menu bar. File, View, Tools, etc.

All is in the docs.

button{
defaultaction|submenu
images
}

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/ConfigFiles#toolbars winking smiley

Date: September 10, 2019 10:04PM

>append to that submenu every menu in the menu bar. File, View, Tools, etc.

i only know how to set a SINGLE menu item for right click:

!MENU{
?|&File ? ? ? ?
}

how do i append all the others? and how do i set the default action (left click)?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 10:17PM by cpm1a_new.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 10, 2019 10:36PM

(_bug_ Main menu opens from a button only 5px wide / KMG76.2)

Let's take a shorter way: I'll cheat a bit and tell the solution directly :cool:

cpm1a_new
would like to add it into ...\browser\defaults\settings\ toolbars.cfg

My quickest suggestion: no own button, simply add it as right-click to the Gear button:

Browser Con&figuration{
Compact Menu|Main
Compact Menu. Right-click for Main menu
}

Both menus work also the other way around.
Of course you can also create a new button, name it as you wish, and as command line simply:
Main

And you need an ICON. Add it in "skin.cfg" (in skin/default folder), look for "Compact Menu" and copy it in same line for the "Main" menu.

BUT: have tested it, and there seems a killer BUG sad smiley sad smiley

Took me 'only' 5 hours struggling to find the culprit, sigh, and a workaround:
The culprit is simply the NAME!
Any menu name that contains anyhwere "Main" will open from a toolbar button only 5px wide!
That is, on the xp machine where I tested it. On others too??
5px for: "Main" or "TestMainCopy" etc.
OK for: "main" or "MAin" etc.

As workaround create a wrapper menu in menus.cfg:
maincopy{
!Main
}

Or perhaps better, name it "myusermenu" or similar.
You can also tweak it yet more, you'll probably like to add some more lines with commands and macros or other submenus.
Now use this wrapper menu name in toolbars.cfg too. For me that works.

(PS: can't believe the forum started hanging and freezing and trickling yet again!! Worked only 1 day normally sad smiley )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 10:26PM by siria.

Date: September 10, 2019 11:59PM

>will open from a toolbar button only 5px wide!
same here (XP SP 3)

MY workaround: don't need TWO menus, so just tweaked Compact (now it's really compact). this is the only one i'm gonna use.

Options{
openPrefs|Compact Menu
View Preferences. Right-click for Compact menu

Gear button is a perfect solution for me, thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 06:21AM by cpm1a_new.

Date: September 11, 2019 06:22AM

Thanks for confirming the menu-width bug. Wonder if more modern systems are affected too, but usually have same KM bugs.

cpm1a_new
but my Compact and Main menu are identical, no need to toggle :-)

Options{
openPrefs|Compact Menu
View Preferences. Right-click for Compact menu

If those 2 menus are identical, that's a bit suspicious, since natively they are very different. For example, how do you open a local page?
And knowing you're a shortcut fan, it's surprising you open Preferences with a button. That's an important button for KM-beginners, but ever since I read this forum everyone else is opening them with F2.
A much more needed function for tweakers would be to open about:config with that button (macro moz_AboutConfig in main.kmm)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 06:25AM by siria.

Date: September 11, 2019 07:48AM

>that's a bit suspicious, since natively they are very different
its me who made them identical :-)

> how do you open a local page
i open locals in Opera 12 only (they are all *.mht)

> knowing you're a shortcut fan...
i sure am, and i F2 mostly. but sometimes the keyboard is UNDER the table = mouse + toolbar buttons

> A much more needed function for tweakers would be to open about:config
added ALT+Z for it and its OK for me -- i won't be tweaking KM constantly, so no button needed

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 08:07AM by cpm1a_new.

Re: Button for Main menu.../ HOWTO personal skin tricks
Date: September 11, 2019 10:36PM

Fine, to each their own, whatever suits best smiling smiley

But do yourself a favor and instead of the default skin use your customized skin with an own name. If you're currently using the "default" skin it's really utterly simple: Just create a new, empty skin folder, name it as you wish, copy your modified toolbars.cfg inside, and your used skin.cfg. If you modified any icons, those too.
In the browser hit F2 > GUI and you can already choose your new skin. Just restart and enjoy your own, named skin, which is now out of danger of getting accidentally overriden, and can quite easily be copied between different KM-installations and versions.
Then I'd restore the default skin/toolbar files as they were originally, really "default" again.

Of course, the rest of the icon files can be copied over too, but not really necessary while the default skin itself isn't changed. All skin files which aren't found at startup, K-Meleon will use from the skins/default folder and the skins/shared folder.
And the very first location it looks up is actually in the current profile/skins/skinname.

And there's another hidden trick: if someone is already using another skin, a named one, it's also possible to create a personal version folder which needs ONLY the changed files inside:
the new folder can get the same skin name, just with a free suffix (in brackets), as was already demonstrated in KM1.1+KM1.5 with skin folders "Phoenity" and "Phoenity(Large)"
Then KM looks up the missing icons first in this skins main folder, then in shared+default folders.
(Sadly since KM1.6 this great trick isn't "obvious" anymore out-of-box, since the new default skins in KM1.6 messed that system (done by one of the former supporters), and since KM75 a completely new skin system was introduced. But the old system still works too, and if someone still KNOWS about this goold old trick it's still working too)

(_howto_ personal skin tricks howto)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 09:36AM by siria.

Date: September 12, 2019 08:07AM

>But do yourself a favor and instead of the default skin use your customized skin with an own name

thanks, good idea. i sure will

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.