General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon 75.1 Portable won't start up
Posted by: msea
Date: November 15, 2017 02:45PM

I keep getting that "send to Microsoft" crash report and K-Meleon won't start. I spent a lot of time customizing so don't want to start from scratch.

Might there be a simple file I can copy from a freshly downloaded version to fix the problem? I'm pretty sure I have a backup of 75.1 portable on my external HD but it's upstairs, I'd have to get out the USB stick, etc. Getting lazy in my old age and wondering if I could just fix it fast with a single file copy (or two) from fresh download.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 75.1 Portable won't start up
Posted by: siria
Date: November 15, 2017 03:04PM

Can be all sorts of stuff, sorry. And if it doesn't even start you can't look at the errorconsole either.
The only small 1-file chance: if you modified the toolbar and skins, then get a fresh original toolbars.cfg file.
Or if it's just a settings prob: rename prefs.js in your current profile folder.
Best chance by far is memory: What did you customize last??

Perhaps best make a copy of whole KM program folder and whole profiles folder, then delete the old and install it new, then copy over 1-by-1 your own stuff from the backup and look what kills it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 03:06PM by siria.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: November 15, 2017 03:08PM

Hello @msea
I always have a compressed file of my Kmeleon 76RC pro portable folder just for this kind of scenarios. If any problem is found I overwrite all, and it worked for me when experimenting with deep configuration. Solutions provided by @siria seem to be more useful than mine, I guess. :s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 03:15PM by J.G..

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 15, 2017 03:47PM

just check there is no cyrillic URLs in sessions.json (in your profile).

This was greatest glitch of 75.x versions - they all (releases) crushed after trying to use non-latin domain URLs like россия.рф etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 03:48PM by rodocop.

Posted by: msea
Date: November 16, 2017 05:37AM

Thanks guys I always learn something new from your responses. I'm taking the ez way out... just copied my portable backup to USB stick. It should work for a while. I think the issue arose when I shut down computer without exiting k-meleon. Either that or I have too many RSS feeds packed into NewsFox. smiling smiley Mind you, a bum web site might have done it. The computer in question is old... :mad:

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 16, 2017 08:57AM

msea,

you'd better check what I wrote.

K-Meleon 75 wasn't used to crush because of your hypothetic reasons. But it ALWAYS crushes when you suddenly visit non-latin (cyrillic for example) domain.

There is need not only fix issue but also learn what was the reason to avoid this in future (and also help other people).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.