General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wikipedia / UPDATE 7-zip required but prob in Win98!
Posted by: Mikk
Date: July 25, 2020 03:38AM

JohnHell
I don't think GDPR is the to blame, except if it is a decision by ones at charge in the site.
Ofcourse, it was site owners decision. It stood declared there as the reason for the closing - as temporary and only the forum but it was no more opened till the whole site disappeared completely. And it was not the only one that time. Many such small private web site providers, once seeing a reason temporarily must to close, find no more the power to reopen under the legal circumstances of today. I myself was allready twice near to take over of a nice well running forum but I really couldn't undertake this responsibility.

siria
There is no version "2019", only "2016.xx"
And yet it is one and was Feb 2020 allready, as I wrote in the german thread February 21, 2020 12:45PM - KernelEx 4.5.2019.24 Updates on retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/05/kernelex-45201617-updates.html. Now I could download and install it (from the "orange" mirror, appeares only sometimes nevertheless there on my screen, don't know why), but I must effort my notebook with XP for the download, which cause various reasons don't like to connect to Internet. It seems very fine in the first view but unfortunately I can't confirm the message there
retrosystemsrevival.blogspot
K-Meleon 74 (Goanna 2.2) runs wonderfully on Windows 9x!
No KM higher 1.7 works with it. Only KM74/Gecko I could not*) test yet - it seems only on Sourceforge hosted and this is again not reachable for these lower KM versions - "Failed to Connect - The connection was refused when attempting to contact (URL). - Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection." - intentional blocking by site eventually

The 1st problem appeared by unziping KM76-Goanna with 7z - it seems too big for this constellation and consequently to delete unziped files in the temp-directory before they are copied to the final directory. Finally, I tranferred my finished installation from the XP notebook (it works there, but I didn't have opportunity enough to test it yet).

Than the next problem: After clicking kmeleon.exe it stayed blocked for a long time, I stopped it with ctrl-alt-del, finally. The message, there is not memory enough for it, came after it aditionally - I have 320 MB (generally not few for W98) and even, I run it offline and without Avast for the 1st test. The same by all lower versions down to 74/Goanna. Somewhere (in Wikipedia?) I read KM needs XP-SP3 from some of these 7-versions upstairs that's why I set than KEx to Vista, with the same result.

Anyway, what are the advantages and disadvantages, Goanna and Gecko versions compared?

All my other applications needed KEx work with the new version 4.5.2019.24 as before. I have no such new ones; that's why I can't say now if the new KEx is really better than the old one.

*) "not" as mistake missing, completed 19:37 27-Jul-2020

siria
Mikk
Than came even (Opera) 12.02 with KEx. But it worked very heavily, slowly with long waitings.
I was wondering why you say Opera were so slow, but now it dawns: you have probably javascript enabled all the time? As in KM1.7? Can't afford that, keep JS (and a lot other stuff) always blocked unless really needed urgently, otherwise the browser would constantly freeze. Not a certain browser, but any.
I can't say it surely now after that years (must to install it anew and test) but perheaps you're right here. So do I with JS as you. But there are damned many sites needed JS urgently. On the other side, there are also few sites needed it urgently and making no problems - seems there are some few programmers they can handle it well but most of them work as wood-cutter with it: Works it on their computer - all such problems hitting by their enorme machine power and non visible energy consumption (and other problems on other equipments by other users don't interest them really) - is everything O.K. for them.

Mikk
...I could install the modified KM 1.5.4 .

Wikipedia works now, I hope I'll can also download files from Sourceforge now, I didn't test it yet. But it's an old KM-version anyway, some webs cannot be displayed propper, which I can see perfectly with 1.7 (not so with 1.6). And the problem with incompatible JS (in this kind known to me since summer 2018) persists of course.

I'll test it now and than I'll report about it. There are also some other messages when webs cannot be reached, occuring approximately since the same time as that »Cannot communicate securely with peer«. I'm curious if this new KM-modification helps there too

The first I did, I transfered the user agent for FF 3.6.28 from KM1.7; KM 1.5.4 has it only for FF 2.

Than I could download and install 7z-9.20 from 7-zip.org (hosted on sourceforge)
The first: KM 1.5 works even today much better than I expected. But also possible I got used allready that almost nothing in Internet runs properly (and if indeed than only for a limited time period). But there are still things working in 1.7 better or generally only there; but in minority amount also vice versa, not only that TLS1.2 thing.

That's why I need to swith quickly between these two versions but unfortunately it's not possible to run two different KM versions simultaneously. Once one opened, trying to open the other one it opens a new window of the first one. So its necessary to close the complete session of the first one before the other one opened - mostly everything else than quick.

Further, sometimes I get the error message »K-Meleon can't connect securely to >URL< because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled«. E.g. just now on the above mentioned site retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/05/kernelex-45201617-updates for the URL l.bp.blogspot.com. I must more times click away this message. It seems some (graphic?) elements of the site are hosted on l.bp.blogspot.com and these I cannot see then.

But I get this message also when I have a bigger download and during this time I try to download something else more (my connection performance capacity is widely not exhausted, the most of servers where I download are very slow, 3 Mbit/s is allready a good value). And than goes nothing more on the site of the tried second download, I must restart KM.

And as already mentioned, still again come non-reachable sites with the message "Failed to Connect - The connection was refused when attempting to contact (URL). - Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection." - equally to 1.7 anyway.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 05:37PM by Mikk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: siria
Date: July 25, 2020 08:50AM

That's why I need to swith quickly between these two versions but unfortunately it's not possible to run two different KM versions simultanously. Once one opened, trying open the other one it opens a new window of the first one. So its necessery to close the complete session if the first one before open the othere one

Was probably mentioned before, but running 2 different KM-versions simultaneously is possible with a shortcut parameter:
...\k-meleon.exe -new
(right-click on your KM start icon or link and add "-new")
Of course, this also requires using different profiles, but no prob if both versions are set to portable (=have a file "profile.ini" in their root folder), or if the Profile Manager pops up and a different profile is chosen manually each time.
(Well, hm... not quite perfectly always, in parallel KMG74 sessions right-clicks are dead and menus partly cropped, but suspect that's just another KernelEx bug... Parallel KM1.5.4 seems to work better)

Usually parallel sessions even work within the same KM-version when just opening a different PROFILE (Edit>Manage Profiles>Ask at startup), but sadly on my old system same-KM-version method is broken since awhile. Not sure why, but suspect my messy KernelEx update awhile back, or perhaps just lack of ressources as so often. Luckily, at least running 2 diff KM-versions still works fine here.

-----

That pesky cipher errors I get only extremely rarely now since roytam1's KM1.x updates with TLS 1.2
Except for a stupid BUG:
Even sites that do work fine when first called, are often suddenly interrupted at the slightest hickup and then TLS-broken until end of session, as you write. Most famous example being Amazon. Hitting stop when a page has not yet FULLY COMPLETELY loaded is deadly, but even merely middle-clicking a LINK (to open in background) from a still loading page is deadly too! sad smiley sad smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2020 09:13AM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 25, 2020 05:37PM

Mikk
Anyway, what are the advantages and disadvantages of Goanna and Gecko versions in the compare?

Engine and, so, standards support, this is HTML, JS, CSS and also security (algorithms and ciphers).

siria
Was probably mentioned before, but running 2 different KM-versions simultaneously is possible with a shortcut parameter:
...\k-meleon.exe -new
Of course, this also requires using different profiles, but no prob if both versions are set to portable (=have a file "profile.ini" in their root folder), or if the Profile Manager pops up and a different profile is chosen manually each time.

Not sure if I understood you, but there is no need of two profiles, apart their respective K-meleon installation/running folder (whatever you want to call it) needs their own profile, obviously, that they can be or in the default destination, or custom through profiles.ini (that is up to anyone preferences). But each installation doesn't need two profiles.

In case is a single installation, if you try to run a second session of the same profile, is not possible (at much it will open a window with the same profile) and there you need two profiles, obviously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2020 05:38PM by JohnHell.

Date: July 25, 2020 06:38PM

JohnHell
Not sure if I understood you, but there is no need of two profiles, apart their (....)

Yeah you misunderstood. I was saying and meaning exactly the same as you. If two KM-sessions are running parallel, they cannot share the same profile folder simultaneously, regardless in which way profile paths are defined.

Date: July 25, 2020 11:18PM

siria
...\k-meleon.exe -new
Many thanks grinning smiley
After some successless attempts I started it with the -new parameter from the DOS-PROMPT and it seems to work very fine. Tomorrow I'll look for a simpler kind to do it

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 25, 2020 11:51PM

Mikk
Tomorrow I'll look for a simpler kind to do it

Just a normal shortcut (as you'd do with any program) with the path to K-meleon.exe -new (appending just -new). You don't need anything else.

If it were the case and for general knowledge (that should be, if not in the wiki, here in the forum), if someone uses several profiles, then several shorcuts appended, instead "-new" "-new -P nameofprofile".

Date: July 26, 2020 12:07AM

After some successless attempts I started it with the -new parameter from the DOS-PROMPT and it seems to work very fine

Weird... perhaps you can fix it.
By the way I'm using this "-new" parameter always since forever to start all KM-sessions. The first session too, not just parallel sessions.

Date: July 26, 2020 03:36PM

Thanks you both. Now it is complete.

I hurried to go on in my work yesterday. Probably I did somewhere a small mistake and I didn't wont make long tryings. Cause I took the securest way over DOS-prompt for that moment. And later I did't want to break the session more.

JohnHell
Just a normal shortcut (as you'd do with any program) with the path to K-meleon.exe -new (appending just -new). You don't need anything else.
This I wanted to try, to edit the shortcut destination link. I was only unsecure which of these both I should change. Now I know: both of them.

siria
By the way I'm using this "-new" parameter always since forever to start all KM-sessions. The first session too, not just parallel sessions.
New for me, with this -new. People learn the whole life over grinning smiley

Mikk
I can't confirm the message there
retrosystemsrevival.blogspot
K-Meleon 74 (Goanna 2.2) runs wonderfully on Windows 9x!
No KM higher 1.7 works with it. ...

After clicking on kmeleon.exe it stayed blocked for a long time, finally I stopped it with ctrl-alt-del. After it came aditionally the message, there is not memory enough for it - I have 320 MB (generally not few for W98) and I run it even offline and without Avast for the 1st test. The same by all lower versions down to 74/Goanna. Somewhere (in Wikipedia?) I read KM needs from some of these 7-versions upstairs XP-SP3 that's why I set than KEx to Vista, with the same result.
If somebody can do other experiences me, I'm still interested.

Re: Wikipedia / UPDATE 7-zip / Mikks Win98 topic
Date: July 26, 2020 05:32PM

shortcut example:
Ziel: Y:\K-Meleon154\k-meleon.exe -new
Ausführen in: Y:\K-Meleon154

KMG74 and KernelEx-2016 are both rather buggy yet. Had to struggle quite some time to get it at least partly usable as fallback browser. And still bugs and crashes all the time. If some day both may be fixed, it would be a great main browser.

But which KernelEx do you have installed now? Your post above is a bit confusing...

No KM higher 1.7 works with it.

This sounds like you're still on old KernelEx...

The 1st problem appeared by unziping KM76-Goanna with 7z - it seems too big and to delete unziped files in the temp-directory before they are copied to the final directory.

Weird, I thought 7-zip 9.20 should work. But if not, try an update? 7-zip 15.11 definitely can unzip KG76. Just not sure what you need it for, if even KG74 doesn't run yet...

Only KM74/Gecko I could test yet - it seems only on Sourceforge hosted and this is again not reachable for these lower KM versions - "Failed to Connect - The connection was refused when attempting to contact (URL)

Don't bother with KM74-Gecko, far too outdated. KM74-Goanna (KG74) is much improved:
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/KM74-g22-20180718.win2000.7z
Luckily roytam even fixed 2 ancient killer bugs in the KM-shell (injectJS + site-useragents), although usually only managing engines smiling smiley
Important: set KernelEx compat to Win2000 for roytams KG74!
His build is compiled to work on pure Win2000 systems natively.

Sourceforge downloads and ciphers do work with fine with all roytam's forks, incl. KM1.5.4+TLS1.2 - that even runs on native Win98, without any KernelEx installed.
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/K-Meleon1.5.4en-US.tls12.7z
(Just don't try to visit this KM forum (hosted on SF) with any browser and "Win98" in the useragent string, or SF blocks it intentionally, showing some crazy nonsense message)
If probs, maybe the connection to SF had a hickup? If they are like amazon, the slightest delay in connections may break the whole domain until end of session, as you described too. Happens to me all the time with my crappy ultraslow connection, if a page doesn't start loading instantly for some reason (DNS?), then I often must endlessly wait for timeouts, and yet worse, usually not even able to switch to other tabs meanwhile, due to some Kex or KM-bug freezing the browser while loading :-/

But if you're still stuck on old basic KernelEx, browser choices are really limited.
Best bet now probably RT-Firefox3.6 (modern ciphers, old engine), or Opera12.02 (much better engine, but older ciphers), or for K-Meleon fans KM1.6beta (FF3.5) with old engine, but modern TLS1.2 ciphers.
At any rate, having any KernelEx old or new, I see no reason anymore to keep using KM1.5.4. Engine far too old and broken now in modern web.
Since you prefer old buggy KM1.7alpha, a version with TLS1.2 ciphers would be nice too, but 1) doesn't exist, and 2) personally can't use it as main browser anyway due to tons of alpha bugs, e.g. injectJS completely broken. And the engine only a little bit younger as KM1.6 anyway. Would love it as main browser, but as fallback have now KG74 (with KernelEx2016)
Truly KM1.x as main browser is a pain today, meanwhile have to kill styles on half the web, always just mighty glad being able to help myself with macros and css and little scripts. Although those constant struggles are a pain too and eat far too much time. But would be completely lost especially without stylekiller macro etc.

So, since you mention KM1.5/FF2, and are perhaps still stuck (?) on old basic KernelEx:
Did you try roytams Firefox3.6+TLS1.2? Same engine age as KM1.7:
(no idea which link is newer, both files as usual same date in name):
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/fx36vc71-20171108.7z
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/fx36vc71-20171108_newnss.7z

As for K-Meleon, if stuck on basic old KernelEx and KM1.x, the best chance today is KM1.6beta2.6+TLS1.2 ciphers added manually DIY. It should be the last community update 1.6beta2.6 as posted by James way back then: Prob is just that sadly all his links are meanwhile broken. Then again, as an old KM-user, perhaps you still have it yourself?
If not, an absolute must-have for KM1.6beta2 is adding Dorian's last unofficial update 2012 (contains only main files, not complete browser):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/files/KMeleon1.6.7z
And then you can add modern TLS1.2 ciphers yourself, as I did. Howto:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,151536
(KM1.6+1.7 need KernelEx compat set to Win XP SP2)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 08:22PM by siria.

Re: Wikipedia / UPDATE 7-zip / Mikks Win98 topic
Date: July 27, 2020 01:25AM

siria
shortcut example:
Ziel: Y:\K-Meleon154\k-meleon.exe -new
Ausführen in: Y:\K-Meleon154
Right click on icon in the Quicklanuch (in/on Desktop) - Properties - in Destination (Ziel) edit additional " -new" - OK

siria
which KernelEx do you have installed now?

siria
Mikk
No KM higher 1.7 works with it.
This sounds like you're still on old KernelEx...
The newest one, as mentioned here above. That's why
Mikk
If somebody can do other experiences me, I'm still interested.
I remember, to make my 1st KM - K-Meleon_1.6.0 Beta 2.6 JamesD, recommended as the best 1.6 that time - functional, I must make relatively much changes for the start process and so produce my own modification (many files messaged as non-functional copied from another 1.6).

siria

The 1st problem appeared by unziping KM76-Goanna with 7z - it seems too big and to delete unziped files in the temp-directory before they are copied to the final directory.
Weird, I thought 7-zip 9.20 should work. But if not, try an update? 7-zip 15.11 definitely can unzip KG76. Just not sure what you need it for, if even KG74 doesn't run yet...
Lower KM's (a little smaller files) I can unzip without problems. I think also 76 I could unzip part-by-part but to copy it fom my XP I saw as easier. Now it's done, I'll try to install newer 7z later if necessary

Only KM74/Gecko I could test yet
Mea culpa! Ash on my head! - Only KM74/Gecko I could NOT test yet. I read this sentence several times but didn't notice this mistake.

siria
Don't bother with KM74-Gecko, far too outdated.
I wanted to try it primary for test purposes when all other failed

siria
KM74-Goanna (KG74) is much improved:
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/KM74-g22-20180718.win2000.7z
Important: set KernelEx compat to Win2000 for roytams KG74!
His build is compiled to work on pure Win2000 systems natively.
I have allready this one. Nothing changed to better setting KEx on W2k-SP3

Further to the rest of your post - hopely - later

Re: Wikipedia / no crash here
Posted by: Codemelon
Date: August 26, 2020 10:23AM

Wikipedia still works on mine. But I also have a old version.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.