General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon. Questions about how to setup it, macro coding, all related to its usage and the project itself, including this website. 
JavaScript workarounds?
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: November 22, 2019 06:51AM

Hi!

I am using at the moment K-Meleon 76.2 Goanna 3.4.4 Build 20191116 in which the most problems and 'incompatibilities' with the websites which I visit frequently are removed.

But there are stil some remaining, e.g. no effect after clicking on an 'LogIn now' button of a specific site. I suppose the reason could be a KM & JavaScript problem.

My question: Are there general configuration settings which could be tested to deal with such problems?

Thank you very much in advance,
Zvonko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JavaScript workarounds?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 22, 2019 09:39PM

Nop.

You can use the Error console and check if there is some javascript error. If there is some, there are two possibilities, or it is a coding bug in the site, or it is using some newer ECMAscript version.

To know it you will need to dig on your preferred search engine.

Date: November 25, 2019 01:28PM

Thenk you, JohnHell!

One of these sites is https://jazzgroove.org/?channel=mix1, with the LISTEN button (not working properly). Can you identify the problem here?

Z.

Date: November 25, 2019 02:22PM

I'm not using the same version, but it worked after it loaded (too much CPU on 75.0), but instead an html5 player (I don't know if it is that what should happen), it launched a download/open dialog fore the .m3u file link, which launched Winamp to play its stream http://east-mp3-128.streamthejazzgroove.com/stream

If you use or want to use a player (Windows Media Player, Winamp, VLC, whatever), maybe you could think about to play that streaming through it with that URL.

Better than the above stream URL:
https://jazzgroove.org/jazzgroove-mix-1.m3u

EDIT: just tested with Seamonkey and behaves the same and the Listen link works.

Might be that you don't have a default action for m3u files?

Go to about:preferences and applications section (make a profile backup first) and have a look to it and change options accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 02:24PM by JohnHell.

Date: November 25, 2019 05:23PM

Hm.

>>> ... but instead an html5 player (I don't know if it is that what should happen), it launched a download/open dialog fore the .m3u file link, which launched Winamp to play its stream ...

Yes, clicking on LISTEN simply should start playing in the browser windows (tested with Edge). In my case the dialog is launched and TWINUI launches a Windows app (which fails to play m3u).

In my Preferences there is no entry for m3u ...

Date: November 25, 2019 06:58PM

Then, the problem there might be a file association issue at the OS level. If you are using Windows 10, I can't help, but, from what I have seen, the way they simplified it, doesn't give much options but set the file extension to a program and let it handle the best it can.

If it plays within Edge, probably is using Windows Media Player (or whatever is called now) to play it inside it, because the site doesn't build a <audio> html5 tag to play, so it is up to each browser/system.

Sorry I can't help further. Is the problem to get stuck in older K-meleon/Windows versions.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 25, 2019 07:41PM

In UXP-browsers Listen works well inside so this is one of the examples of modern JS (ECMAScript 6 standard), non-supported by Goanna 3.x

* - UXP = Goanna 4.x and I tested in Borealis (Mozilla Suite Navigator UXP-clone)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.